Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in WestMeath

Options
  • 02-02-2006 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭

Thinking of moving out of Dublin, Just wondering what Broadband options if any are available in WestMeath, specifically the town of Delvin.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Delvin is on the 'To Be Done By March 2006' list I posted here many times so you ring 1800503303 for up to date info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

i live in about 10 miles north of mullingar and have wireless broadband, from a company in athlone called last mile broadband. www.lastmile.ie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Macker1

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Delvin is on the 'To Be Done By March 2006' list I posted here many times so you ring 1800503303 for up to date info.

Can I assume this is related to Eircom availability. At present I use Eircom and I am very happy with the reliability. If only the cost would reduce:o

pm. wrote:
    i live in about 10 miles north of mullingar and have wireless broadband, from a company in athlone called last mile broadband. www.lastmile.ie ;)

Are they any good. I had a look at the website and Delvin does not appear to be mentioned. The service does appear to be limited.

I have to be honest in stating that I am quite sceptical of any wireless system ( bad experience with IBB ). I do realise that living down the country does have limited Broadband options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

:) yeah i find it great , it costs 35 yo yo a month for unlimited access, up to 10 mb download limit ( dont really knoe what that means im new to this ) they have new base stations going up all the time you should ring them 0906477701 best of luck with it as it may be your only choice for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Macker1 wrote:
    Can I assume this is related to Eircom availability. At present I use Eircom and I am very happy with the reliability. If only the cost would reduce:o
    If the exchange gets BB enabled you will save money by going with BT or any of the bitstream resellers. They're all cheaper than Eircom but BT are the cheapest of them all.

pm. wrote:
    :) yeah i find it great , it costs 35 yo yo a month for unlimited access, up to 10 mb download limit ( dont really knoe what that means im new to this ) they have new base stations going up all the time you should ring them 0906477701 best of luck with it as it may be your only choice for the moment.

What do u mainly use Broadband for ???

I use mine for Gaming which as you can guess requires a nice reliable quick service that can deliver low pings to game servers. i.e. Battlefield2 & Xbox live:)

The cap you mention is 10gb per month which is a bit low for my liking. At present I use Eircom 3mb lline and this has a download cap of 30gb per month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How far from the exchange in Delvin ??? You know if you are at the 'wrong end' of Delvin its no DSL for you I'd say so welcome to rural Ireland of the 70% failure rates and all that .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    How far from the exchange in Delvin ??? You know if you are at the 'wrong end' of Delvin its no DSL for you I'd say so welcome to rural Ireland of the 70% failure rates and all that .

The house is located on the Athboy road within 200 yards of the main street of Delvin. Where is the exchange.??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

why the hell are you moving to delvin?
    its haunted....
    the undead cause huge line attenuation

• Advertisement

stevenk wrote:
    why the hell are you moving to delvin?
    its haunted....
    the undead cause huge line attenuation

Excellent a bit of Ghost Hunting to pass the time.

Reason for moving is to be mortgage free in a brand new 4 bed semi with a large lump sum to do it up.

Lucky to be able to sell my house in Dublin for a silly amount.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

I live round the corner.
    The exchange is on the N51 Athboy road right across from your new house. I assume you are buying one of the new builds. We are suposed to have the exchange upgraded by the end of March. There is another 106 houses going to be built on the field across the road from your new house so its going to get busy down there.
    If you like a good pint and friendly atmosphere the pop in to the caman inn.

dts wrote:
    I live round the corner.
    The exchange is on the N51 Athboy road right across from your new house. I assume you are buying one of the new builds. We are suposed to have the exchange upgraded by the end of March. There is another 106 houses going to be built on the field across the road from your new house so its going to get busy down there.
    If you like a good pint and friendly atmosphere the pop in to the caman inn.

Sounds good...... Yes The house we are buying is in the new build of Cois Caislean. When are the new houses opposite going up. Don't get out for a pint that often but habits can be changed lol:) What is the general opinion on Delvin ?? Is it a nice place to live with a family ??

Schools good but there are not many places due to all the new houses being built.
    It seem to have a nice friendly atmosphere but everyone wants to know your business.
    The entrance to the new estate will be directly opposite the entrance to yours.
    The chinkys is a good takeaway.
    The golf course is good but will reck your handicap.
    Kells isnt too far and has some great places to eat and drink.
    We like it and have been here for over two years now.

dts wrote:
    Schools good but there are not many places due to all the new houses being built.
    It seem to have a nice friendly atmosphere but everyone wants to know your business.
    The entrance to the new estate will be directly opposite the entrance to yours.
    The chinkys is a good takeaway.
    The golf course is good but will reck your handicap.
    Kells isnt too far and has some great places to eat and drink.
    We like it and have been here for over two years now.

Sounds good to me

Its me, the wife & 4 kids. Looking for an easier pace of life and a better enviroment for the kids. The opportunity if it happens means living in a bigger house without the need for any mortgage and having a tidy sum to do up the new house. The plan would also include saving a sizeable amount for a rainy day.

All in All a win-win situation.

Do you happen to know the name of the new development going up and any details regarding the houses ( prices / sizes ) ?????

Paying 220k for a 4bed semi D in Cois Caislean. Its a nice house but its early days yet.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond as its a great help to have a local to correspond with.:)

Sorry to everyone else as this is off the thread.
    The land was sold last July after the plans were submitted. There is no sign of a start to the developmet yet so no name etc.
    There is alot of land zoned for housing around the village hence broadband is on it way but alot of that land is owned by locals who dont want to sell. 220 is a good price as I know that people are looking for over 300 for a 4 bed detached.
    Have a look at the westmeath council website, you will find the Delvin village plan on there. It shows all the zoned land, the preposed bypass for the village and the preposed park.
    Good luck with the move and say hi to Keith when you go for your first pint.

Just to let you know, Delvin now has broadband up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Macker1 wrote:

I appreciate you taking the time to respond as its a great help to have a local to correspond with.:)

Local????!!!!

By that he was refering to the fact that I live in Delvin. You must be sad if you are bringing this up after so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Local????!!!!

DTS I think he means that in Delvin you need to be at least 3rd generation before you are no longer refered to as a "blow-in" ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

They will be well out numbered soon with all the building planned for the village. With all the so called blow ins it will soon be a town, not a village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Anyone know if digiweb has any plans to provide the metro product in athlone as a friend of mine wants to get wireless and read good stuff about it?

Also when are they gonna offer tv channels?

"An innovative, reliable, high-speed platform delivering FREE Phone Line Rental and 1Mbps to 8Mbps broadband to Irish homes and business and shortly High Definition TV and Video On Demand."

• Registered Users Posts: 41 anxie

Hi Macker, did you ever move to Delvin in the end?
    I am considering the move now myself, would be interested in what people have to say about the area.

anx

Advertisement