Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Funny Renault story

Options
  • 02-02-2006 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭

Heard from someone who works in a Renault garage that they managed to shift a Vel Satis recently. Only problem was that they had to put €2k of money into it to replace the rusty parts caused by the car sitting somewhere near Rosslare for the past few years!

As well he said that some poor sod paid over €40k for it and if he went to another garage tomorrow he would be lucky to get an offer of €20k!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I'd well believe it , very close to where I live there are several parked up for the last 6 months at least .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I got one with my Cornflakes the other day, it tasted a bit funny so i threw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Its a shame really though, If you look at them they are amazing cars. Full of everything, Just too bad its french. As said many times before about renault. They are just not suited for the luxury cars.

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

K-TRIC wrote:
    I got one with my Cornflakes the other day, it tasted a bit funny so i threw it out.

HAHAHAHA!!! :p

Brilliant!! :v: en cour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fair play to them for trying something different. The Saffrane was too boring. The Vel Satis too out there. the thing is Renault is great at making cars like the Modus, Twingo, Scenic, but that badge doesn't cut it in the Golf Club car park , especially when it doesn't work properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Went to the Renault gaff at Airside in Swords earlier to see if they knew if there is a 225 Cup in the country (he's phoning me tomorrow). After bobbing into McAllisters to look at the Golf GTI (no Aircon for €37k, they can fook right off) I was leaving the retail park and was behind a Megane.

After following him/her down to the Pavillions roundabout I realised that every time the car braked, instead of the brake light coming on, the indicators came on, solidly lit. The Megane Sport Brochure is now happily awaiting recycling in my green bin...

haha! i saw an 06 Fiat Panda turning right today. reversing light came on at the same time as the right indicator!

Yes the Europeans can really wire up cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well I highly doubt that a 40+k Vel Satis bought "recently" has already lost >50% of its value and is now only worth 20k. The Vel Satis does depreciate badly, but not that badly. The styling of the car is not to my taste but I applaud Renault for making it.

Vel Satis' sitting unsold and rusting at Rosslare may be a funny story. But here's a funnier story - legions of people queueing up and going on waiting lists to buy pig ugly, "exclusive" new BMWs. Another funny one is that people willing to pay 50k for a base model BMW X3.

Also Gatser if you dismiss the Megane 225 because you saw a Megane with faulty lights then you can't have been serious about the car in the first place. Problems such as this can occur on all types of cars. Recently I saw an Avensis (shock horror) with the exact same symptoms as you describe. Does this mean that the Avensis and Toyotas generally are unreliable junk?

the faulty lights were most likely caused by towbar wiring.

as for the Vel satis only worth 20k, I wouldn't like to take one into stock, and if i had to, I'd have to take into account that it could be in stock for over a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭kyote00

the screwed up lights can also be caused by the installation (bad installation) of an alarm....

• Advertisement

Also Gatser if you dismiss the Megane 225 because you saw a Megane with faulty lights then you can't have been serious about the car in the first place.

It was on a shortlist of 4-6 cars, but the Megane on the drive home and the apparant dissarray the Stealer was in didn't shore up my confidence. Reminded me of the problems a mate has had with his and there was a very bad thread on here a while ago, so I had a look on carzone 'Research New Cars', read the 'our view' bit:

http://www.cbg.ie/new_car_detail.asp?ID=5014&CompareIDList=&CompareDescList=&frmFilter=

It was added to the shortlist after I saw Clarkson driving it on a Top Gear repeat on Living and it looked like fun, but I found out tonight it's also more expensive than the Golf. I looked at the brochure when I got home and the prices, then decided it was off the list for now - I'll probably go have a look if he can find one, I have a fondess for Citroens and Renaults...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd expect some of the legendary reliability of Nissan to seep into Renault as time goes by. All cars can suffer from malfunctions, they are quite complex pieces of equipment remember. The question really comes down to how the dealers behave when a problem crops up. I'm a fan of VW but their dealers leave a lot to be desired by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

HungryJoey wrote:
    Its a shame really though, If you look at them they are amazing cars. Full of everything, Just too bad its french. As said many times before about renault. They are just not suited for the luxury cars.

Hj

I don't think the Peugeot 607 is a bad looking car - link, but I don't get the point of making an executive car (which I presume the Vel Satis is) to look like a hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have to say I really liek the Vel Satis and it would be on a shortlist if I was in the market for a €40+ car (which I'm never likely to be :) ). I 've never had trouble with Renault, be it with my own Clio that I bought new in 00, that my mother still drives, my cousins 02 clio, or my godfathers string of Lagunas. I was trying to buy a Saffrane from a guy in FS motors last year before missing out and not being able to find another one elsewhere. eventually ended up getting an Accord then a rover 620.

murphaph wrote:
    I'd expect some of the legendary reliability of Nissan to seep into Renault as time goes by. .

it's sort of working the other way, Renaults legendary electrics are seeping into Nissan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

BrianD3 wrote:
    Well I highly doubt that a 40+k Vel Satis bought "recently" has already lost >50% of its value and is now only worth 20k. The Vel Satis does depreciate badly, but not that badly. The styling of the car is not to my taste but I applaud Renault for making it.

Well the word from somebody who works in a Renault garage was that the best you could expect from a non-Renault garage for that car would be 20k *if* they were willing to take it at all. The problem is that nobody in Ireland or the UK has any interest in buying large French cars, witness the Peugeot 607, I can't even remember the last time I saw one.

the new Citroen C6 should be a similarly disasterous prospect......citroen_c6_01_03_05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've no trouble believing that story

I applaud Renault for having the guts to market the Vel Satis / Avantime, but we all knew it wasn't going to work

Working with concept cars like this won't be an improvement either:

16472.jpg

For decades the French have failed to come up with credible alternatives for the (mainly German) incumbents in the luxury segment

They still keep at it, why this pointless exercise?
    colm_mcm wrote:
    the new Citroen C6 should be a similarly disasterous prospect.....

Of course it will be, although I like the looks of it. Reminds me of the CX. I really like the looks of the 607 too

Saw the launch pack for the C6 in the Uk and it has some gorgeous touches and looks lovely but is, alas, doomed to failure. I'm sure I read somewhere that Citroen will be making a loss on the first few (so that's a loss full stop then). Shame, they'll end up tranpsorting myriads of French Govt civil servants about.

Advertisement