Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bore and choke solvents.

Options
  • 02-02-2006 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

We all use at least one brand or make up our own concoction.
    What works best for you?

Double Barrel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

"Ed's Red (ER)" Bore Cleaner

Ed Harris is a well known, knowledgeable gun writer with years of experience. The following article is a re-post of his famous "Ed's Red" Bore Cleaner, which is an inexpensive, effective firearms cleaning agent.

By Ed Harris Rev. 12-27-94

Three years ago I mixed my first "Ed's Red" and I still think the "recipe" is a great idea. If you have never tried it, or maybe lost the recipe, I urge you save this and mix your own. My followers on the FIREARMS Echo think it's the best thing since smokeless powder!

Therefore, I'll summarize the story again for the passing parade that didn't get it the first time...

I originally did this because I used a lot of rifle bore cleaner and was deterred by the high price of commercial products. I knew there was no technical reason why you could not mix an effective bore cleaner using common hardware store ingredients which would be inexpensive, effective, and provide reasonable corrosion protection and adequate lubrication.

The "recipe" is based on proven principles and incorporates two polar and two non-polar ingredients. It is adapted from a formula in Hatcher's Notebook, Frankford Arsenal Cleaner No.18, but substituting equivalent
    modern materials. I had the help of an organic chemist in doing this and we knew there would be no "surprises" The original Hatcher recipe called for equal parts of acetone, turpentine, Pratts Astral Oil and sperm oil, and optionally 200 grams of lanolin added per liter."

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/edred/index.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hi DB,

I'm on H no. 9 still. It's getting expensive! Do you use that homemade solvent?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Hi John,
    I use it all the time. Great stuff.
    My nephew gave me a Xmas present of Hop #9 four or five years ago. i open it every-now and then just to get a whiffff. :):D. The bottle is 3/4 full.
    Try it you will like it.

Advertisement