Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving into new house

Options
  • 02-02-2006 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

hi there
    just paid the booking deposit on a new house and i know this might be a stupid question, but how do you find out how to use the heating/appliances in a new house that you buy? the property has gas central heating and i've never used this before and don't know about heating the water for showers etc. do you sort out this with your solicitor or are you just meant to figure it out for yourself when you move in??

thanks a lot - and sorry again for such a supid question!:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Ask your solicitor to write to the vendor's solicitor with a list of questions that you'd like to have answered about the appliances and also if they can leave behind any instruction manuals which they may have and the dates of last services of the appliances and who carried them out. Alternatively you can ask the real estate agent to find this information out for you.

Lots of people ask those questions, don't feel silly about them!

Oh and don't forget to change the locks on all the doors when you move in! NEVER trust people to give up all their sets of keys. Good luck in your new place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

hi there
    just paid the booking deposit on a new house and i know this might be a stupid question, but how do you find out how to use the heating/appliances in a new house that you buy? the property has gas central heating and i've never used this before and don't know about heating the water for showers etc. do you sort out this with your solicitor or are you just meant to figure it out for yourself when you move in??

thanks a lot - and sorry again for such a supid question!:o

I was in the same boat as you in October.I having grown up and used oil all my life has suddenly got a gas central heating. I went up one day and asked the finishing forman and he got some fella over and showed me everything.Then also I knew who to goto if i had a problem with the heating ;)

Good luck in your new house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

that's great, thanks for the advice. i might even ask the solicitor if i can meet the owners before the sale closes if that doesn't seem too inappropriate (a friend of mine claims she did the same!)??

Advertisement