Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Gun shop question.

Options
  • 02-02-2006 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Barry Hanlon's old shop, Garnetts and Keegan's, ....31 Parliament Street, Dublin, is still in business? Also possibly doing business as 'Barry A Mason', same location.

Barry Hanlon passed away in 1981 if memory serves, the shop continued operation under B. Mason.

Any information would be appreciated.

Double Barrel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sorry DB,
    Garnetts&Keegans are history.They closed up in 1988 or thereabouts.Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Thanks Clare Gunner, it is a pity as it was a good shop and I always had my neophyte questions answered with patience and respect. Barry knowing full well students did not have the wherewithal to buy anything more than a box of cartridges, if that.
    Nerstors on George's St, in Limerick was pretty good also. Also long gone.

Good luck
    Double Barrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This thread has made me wonder, are there ANY gun shops in or near Dublin city centre?
    The only two I knew of (Garnett & Keegan's and Watts Bros.) are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Not that I'm aware of, is a pity, would be very handy for me during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There used to be Rory's in Templybar, but apparently they no longer sell firearms bits'n'bobs :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Sparks wrote:
    There used to be Rory's in Templybar, but apparently they no longer sell firearms bits'n'bobs :(

If its cartridges you after then rorys still stock some elay but thats about it I think.

There's another shop on a parallel street to Rorys, one street down on the trinity college side of Temple bar. These also sell cartridges for a good price, I think they only have one type of ammo though...some scottish brand that is actually good!!

Afraid I've never inquired about rifle ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If its cartridges you after then rorys still stock some elay but thats about it I think.
    Do they still sell gun oil, do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

The shop you guys are talking about is Pat Cleere's on Bedford Row.. Mainly fishing gear but he does have some shooting equipment. Very nice fella, good place to drop into for a chat.

Nerstors on George's St, in Limerick was pretty good also. Also long gone.
    That was Nestors in O'Connell st.Yup you are right a pity.I almost lived in that shop as a kid.Gus and Joe Nestor were a goldmine of hunting,fishing & shooting lore and two of the real old spoting gentlemen of a bygone era.Bought most of my early rods& guns from them.Not to mind a rake of airfix model kits andbalsa wood planes&boats.I salvaged from the close of the shop four old[by now] sporting posters from them.
    It is now a crappy bar,that has nothing in common with the shop and it's history.I get depressed every time I walk past it's doors.:( :(

Clare gunner, ....clearing out some of the cobwebs in the grey matter. :D

Yes, Messrs. Nestor Bros. 28 O'Connell St...... on the corner of Roches St., I think.

I found a receipt with my fathers name, dated 1958 or 59 in a gun case for cartridges and gun repair on a Charles Boswell 12 bore, it being my grandfathers gun which he purchased in 1896 from August Nestor, 28 & 33 George st. Limerick City. The latter long before our time C G. :)

Double Barrel

• Advertisement

Clare gunner, ....clearing out some of the cobwebs in the grey matter. :D

Yes, Messrs. Nestor Bros. 28 O'Connell St...... on the corner of Roches St., I think.

I found a receipt with my fathers name, dated 1958 or 59 in a gun case for cartridges and gun repair on a Charles Boswell 12 bore, it being my grandfathers gun which he purchased in 1896 from August Nestor, 28 & 33 George st. Limerick City. The latter long before our time C G. :)

Double Barrel

Close enough!The Gun shop was actually in O'Connell St[no 28]The corner shopwas Nestors tabaccoinsts,and two doors further up on Roches st was Nestors photographic&cine store.Now all gone sadly.:(

A Boswell eh?That is quite a valuable piece if you have it still.
    They had and I really wanted to buy of them when they closed up some really beautiful bullet boards and enamel advert plates of guns.Especially one Luigi Franchi advert of a shotgun type that my father owned.All of it ended up in the UK auction houses ,or so I am told and that put it wayyyy out of my financial reach.:( .
    Are you still down in this part of the world??

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Sparks wrote:
    Do they still sell gun oil, do you know?

I'm not one hundred percent certain on that one, but I think I got some there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

scorphonic wrote:

There's another shop on a parallel street to Rorys, one street down on the trinity college side of Temple bar. These also sell cartridges for a good price, I think they only have one type of ammo though...some scottish brand that is actually good!!

Afraid I've never inquired about rifle ammo.

The shotgun ammo is a brand called Caledonian. They also sell lapua .22lr.
    Better value for money from pat o'brien in Bray Co. Wicklow. Better variety too.

C.G.
    Yes I still have the gun and shoot it on fine days. :D ...but I have to make a correction, the Boswell was purchased by my great grandfather.
    What type of Franchi did your father shoot? They made some very nice doubles.
    I spend some of my time in the NW, but visit relatives in the Banner and Tipp. on occasion. Do you take a pint by chance?

Good Luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

jcatony wrote:
    The shotgun ammo is a brand called Caledonian. They also sell lapua .22lr.
    Better value for money from pat o'brien in Bray Co. Wicklow. Better variety too.

I was in there last week,its 6.99 for a box of that ammo,rory's next door was cahrging 5.89 for a box of Eley Super Game which is apparantly much better.Yer man in th shop is much nicer than the satff in rory's particularly the crabby little bloke with the long hair.

C.G.
    Yes I still have the gun and shoot it on fine days. :D ...but I have to make a correction, the Boswell was purchased by my great grandfather.
    What type of Franchi did your father shoot? They made some very nice doubles.
    I spend some of my time in the NW, but visit relatives in the Banner and Tipp. on occasion. Do you take a pint by chance?

Good Luck

It is a semi auto Franchi 48L El Dorado.Really light for a semi auto,but fine day type gun as well,with an Italian temperment as well.Wouldnt mind a Franchi O/U myself either.
    As for the pint ,sure do.Or Jim Beam Burbon as well.:D

C.G.
    The 47 L is a long-recoil automatic if I remember correctly. That is about all I know about them.

A pint and a large whiskey, I will keep that in mind on my next foray to the Banner.

Good Luck

C.G.
    The 47 L is a long-recoil automatic if I remember correctly. That is about all I know about them.

A pint and a large whiskey, I will keep that in mind on my next foray to the Banner.

Good Luck

The 48L is a long recoil allright,but the 48 is the year in which they first started production.Very novel for the time that the reciver was an aluminium alloy instead of steel.
    Will reciprocrate on the drinks when you get here.:D
    Regds
    CG

Advertisement