Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post and packaging from the USA.

Options
  • 02-02-2006 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,

My sister has bought me a laptop in the USA what is the cheapest way to get it sent back to Ireland. DHL etc etc. Can you send a package via aerlingus ..

Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Cheapest way is probably by post but id advise against that because it is a laptop and its a bit dodgy sending it through the postal sysem and god help you once an post get their hands on it.
    The Best way is by courier(DHL UPS etc...)
    Try the different companies websites. I've used DHL UPS and interlink and its a toss up between Interlink and DHL both have been pleasant and easy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You could book it on Aer Lingus direct but you best bet is with a Courier company as mentioned above.

You also need to be aware that you may be charged duty on it. Be sure that it is marked gift.*

I've heard that stuff sent via the US Mail Service attracts less attention from Customs for some reason**

*Not that Im advising you to avoid any legitimate duty that has to be paid.
    **bloke down the pub told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Well it is a gift and you dont pay taxes on gifts so mark it gift and you wont have to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you really think customs are that stupid?

I can see it now: "Ok lads, 21% VAT, plus import...wait, sorry my mistake, it has gift written on it. Send it through".

That might work for smaller items. Something as bulky as a laptop? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Can't a gift not be worth more than x amount of euros? Myabe that's only for insurance purposes?
    What I heard anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

The best way to get it home is just wait till a relative or friend is flying home soon and just buy a case or bag for it and say they had it on buisiness or need for work that they will be undertaking here! Another way would be just post it registered and secure with something like a few old jumpers wrapped around it in the package. Are you aware of the voltage implications for using it here? the USA uses 110v we use 220v could be around €30 to €40 for a transformer in this rip-off hole.

Hope you get it through okay.

Post back later and let us know how you got on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

netwhizkid wrote:
    the USA uses 110v we use 220v could be around €30 to €40 for a transformer in this rip-off hole.

Most laptop psu's are multi voltage these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Well it is a gift and you dont pay taxes on gifts so mark it gift and you wont have to pay anything.
    Afraid not. Marking it as a gift makes very little difference. You still have to pay tax if the value of the package (INCLUDING shipping) is over something like 40 - 50€. If you send it courier it will almost certainly be passed to customs (definitely with UPS). Note that tax (VAT + duty) on a laptop will be very expensive - like a couple of hundred euro! Your best bet would be to use USPS's (i.e. 'normal' mail) top service - insured etc. As mentioned above, USPS stuff attracts less attention. TBH though, there's not much hope of getting away with it.

Advertisement