Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calvin and Hobbes

Options
  • 02-02-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

A quick question: Does anyone read Calvin and Hobbes? Weither it's for 5 minutes every once ina while for a quick laugh or a few times a week for 20 minutes or so?

What are people's opinions on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Yeah I love them.

I've only got a couple of books but I've been rereading them the past month or so. Very entertaining stuff. There was a complete collection released late last year which I'd love to get but it's a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Yeah I posted a thread on that last week

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054880400

if you want to look at it.

Very heavy book. Over 10kg!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I love Calvin and Hobbes. I think I'd be a different person if I hadn't grown up reading them.

I didn't have them when I was growing up. I'd read a couple of strips but it was a friend in college who loaned me a few collections that really turned me on to them. They're in a league of their own when it comes to comic strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Best comic strip ever. Probably the most philosophical one too. I've been reading them for over ten years now and not once has the material lost its impact. Pure brilliance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Hehe... I read some of these a long time ago and they were great. I should go read them again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Your life won't be complete until you read Calvin and Hobbes.
    "Greetings Earth female. Do not be alarmed. Our planet is dying. We need cookies to survive. Do not try to resist or you will be destroyed."
    *Calvin grabs cookie jar* :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Absolutely brilliant comic strip.

I loved them when I was a child. I haven't read them in a while, but I'll go have a flick through them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

John2 wrote:
    Best comic strip ever. Probably the most philosophical one too. I've been reading them for over ten years now and not once has the material lost its impact. Pure brilliance!

Hobbes is named after the English Philosopher, Calvin after the reformationist founder of Presbyterianism. So clearly the creator has his mind on some pretty heavy philosophy.

The genius is the simple way its delivered.

I found a website that had 6 years worth of daily strips. I read them all one magical summer (when I meant to be working TBH). About a week after I finished reading, the website changed to a subscription service. Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Crucifix wrote:
    I love Calvin and Hobbes. I think I'd be a different person if I hadn't grown up reading them.

Ditto - the expressions of the characters are brilliant - and i suppose a bit like the simpsons, it can be enjoyed by different age groups for varous reasons. It's just a pity the writer stopped writing em!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭dingle

I get my daily dose here

http://www.ucomics.com/calvinandhobbes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

dingle wrote:

yeah but you have to register (and pay) to get more than 7 days. This was the website I alluded to earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

It's such a pity he retired.

I used to love the ongoing election scrutiny Calvin would subject his Dad to, informing him that voters weren't happy with the early bedtime policy and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Dr. Feelgood

Yeah I LOVE calvin and hobbes. That and the far side are the best comic strips ever.

I even named one of my cats hobbes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

best cartoon strip ever imo

Yeah I LOVE calvin and hobbes. That and the far side are the best comic strips ever.

I even named one of my cats hobbes :D

I'm going to name my kids Calvin and Hobbes. No matter what sex they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

You should read the 10th anniversary edition. Watterson makes a selection of hi favourites along with the more problematic and gives a fascinating commentary.

Apparantly he was vehemently anti-merchandise. HE eventually relented and there was a limited run of 'official' stuff. He ranted about how he could never let some actor put their voice to hobbes.
    And although I would love to see it, I agree. Would C&H really work as a cartoon?

I don't think it would work as a cartoon. It needs the medium of the comic strip to work in my opinion.

Agreed on that, it wouldn't translate very well.

I like Dilbert but as a comic strip not a cartoon. I'd imagine Calvin and Hobbes would be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I adore Calvin & Hobbes. I read them from about age eleven, and seven years later I'm still entertained. I have to agree that it wouldn't work as a cartoon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-v-3/dp/0740748475/ref=sr_11_1/202-6889975-4527818?ie=UTF8

Yep. Last Thursday the 21st of September my postman delivered it. All 10 kg! It only cost €70 from amazon.co.uk. And I have to say that it is really really cool!

Nice, when you're done with it be sure to forward it on to me, I'll PM you my address ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

The favourite books of my child hood. I still have the majority of them on my shelf. I'll have to give them another read. That box set is very tempting. Best comic strip written/drawn imo.

Advertisement