Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sol Campbell left after being subbed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wow, imagine that. An allegedly gay man fathering a child and being seen in the company of women. Well I'll never...

And it's still going on today. It wasn't so long that the same things were being said about Graeme Le Saux. Whether or not football fans feel Campbell 'betrayed' them they should look at the bigger picture when spreading ****e like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

And it's still going on today. It wasn't so long that the same things were being said about Graeme Le Saux. Whether or not football fans feel Campbell 'betrayed' them they should look at the bigger picture when spreading ****e like this.

i actually heard a rumour that graeme le saux was sol campbell's personal issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

i actually heard a rumour that graeme le saux was sol campbell's personal issue

Which just proves how moronic these rumours are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Which just proves how moronic these rumours are.

The rumours about Sols sexuality are nothing new, Sol has lived with that for years now and it's hardly the end of the world if they are true. There must be something else that has caused him to walk out on the Gunners. I suspect his relationship with the manager has broken down and all the other stuff is just a smokescreen to give them time to sort it out.

If I am wrong The sunday papers should be interesting as there are various rumours doing the rounds at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote:
    The rumours about Sols sexuality are nothing new, Sol has lived with that for years now and it's hardly the end of the world if they are true.

Fully agree.

And agree there's a lot more to this than people are alluding to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Quote from elsewhere or stop casting aspersions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

NotWormBoy wrote:
    Whatever his position in the Arsenal squad, he's more or less scuppered his chances of being one of Englands first choice centre backs in the Summer.

Wenger really needs him though, otherwise he'd have ripped the guy a new arsehole.

In light of the rumours that have been going around about Sol and Wenger, son't you think that was a Freudian slip? Or maybe you know something we don't ;)

But seeing as we're in rumour country :D

Apparently Kelly Hoppen has left him and he's taking it rather badly (personal tragedy for him, lost points for Arsenal and very funny for anyone that doesn't think Arsenal invented football).

Anyway, I always thought the man was fragile emotionally, does anyone remember him nearly in tears on the telly after he elbowed Solskjaer? A real Kevin Keegan moment if ever I saw one.

Two things:
    1. You may have missed my point. I was wondering what him having a child and being seen with women had to do with the allegation that he was gay. Gay men have children and get married you know...
    2. You say 'betrayed' I say betrayed without the ' '. Judas lied to Spurs fans for a year then signed for our biggest enemy. rSol could have gone to any other club and we'd have forgiven him, signing for Arsenal after everything he said in the preceeding months...betrayal.

I'm pretty certain there wasn't a committee meeting in the Bricklayer's Arms after Judas left us deciding we'd go on the offensive spreading rumours about his sexuality. We've sung a few songs. And the songs were there before he took his 30 pieces of silver, just sung by other teams fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Two things:
    1. You may have missed my point. I was wondering what him having a child and being seen with women had to do with the allegation that he was gay. Gay men have children and get married you know...
    2. You say 'betrayed' I say betrayed without the ' '. Judas lied to Spurs fans for a year then signed for our biggest enemy. rSol could have gone to any other club and we'd have forgiven him, signing for Arsenal after everything he said in the preceeding months...betrayal.

I'm pretty certain there wasn't a committee meeting in the Bricklayer's Arms after Judas left us deciding we'd go on the offensive spreading rumours about his sexuality. We've sung a few songs. And the songs were there before he took his 30 pieces of silver, just sung by other teams fans.

A bit OTT would be an understatement. God forbid the man should want to move and win things, rather than endure several years of mid-table mediocrity, and no European football.

• Advertisement

Triton wrote:
    A bit OTT would be an understatement. God forbid the man should want to move and win things, rather than endure several years of mid-table mediocrity, and no European football.

He had the option of the biggest clubs in Europe...Barcelona and Bayern Munich among them. He chose Arsenal. After spending a year saying he was going to stay at Spurs, and he couldn't see any reason why he should leave the club.

He had the option of the biggest clubs in Europe...Barcelona and Bayern Munich among them. He chose Arsenal. After spending a year saying he was going to stay at Spurs, and he couldn't see any reason why he should leave the club.

I'm sure you hate to hear this, as a Spurs supporter, but he arguably did choose one of the biggest clubs in Europe. He's won almost just at much as Arsenal as he would of at Bayern or Barcelona.

Other than that, what's wrong with the man wanting to stay near his home.

Triton wrote:
    I'm sure you hate to hear this, as a Spurs supporter, but he arguably did choose one of the biggest clubs in Europe. He's won almost just at much as Arsenal as he would of at Bayern or Barcelona.

Arguably being the operative word. He could have gone to a CL-winning side, couldn't he? Arsenal ain't even one of the biggest clubs in England at the moment.
    Triton wrote:
    Other than that, what's wrong with the man wanting to stay near his home.

You must keep missing the bit where I keep saying he lied for a year about wanting to stay at the club. He lied to the people who worshipped him, idolised him for the role he played in keeping us in the PL. He went to our biggest rivals. For nothing.

Triton wrote:

Not all that much of an understatement, We have seen similar "judas" comments here about Michael Owen recently and Gerrard had it when it looked like he was moving to chelsea. Henry would get it if he moved to United and Ruud would get it if he move to Arsenal.

It's the nature of football fans to vent their anger at anyone they see as being disloyal to their club, the players ambition never enters the equation.

Arguably being the operative word. He could have gone to a CL-winning side, couldn't he? Arsenal ain't even one of the biggest clubs in England at the moment.

You must keep missing the bit where I keep saying he lied for a year about wanting to stay at the club. He lied to the people who worshipped him, idolised him for the role he played in keeping us in the PL. He went to our biggest rivals. For nothing.

And I must of missed the part where you sat in on the negotiations, and knew the terms and conditions of it. Let's be honest, he was an employee, trying to do the same as the rest of us, sell his employment to the highest bidder, with the best conditions that suited him. We all do the same when we're looking for a job so why should he be called Judas for doing it.

He went to Arsenal won a double, a Premiershop medal or two and was part of a record breaking side that was never beaten. That's quite an achievement. And Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs in England. They may not be performing but they're still a huge club and, even with their problems, they are still only a win or two off the CL, and in this season's CL.

Triton wrote:
    And I must of missed the part where you sat in on the negotiations, and knew the terms and conditions of it. Let's be honest, he was an employee, trying to do the same as the rest of us, sell his employment to the highest bidder, with the best conditions that suited him. We all do the same when we're looking for a job so why should he be called Judas for doing it.

You sound far too logical to be a football fan.

He is a Judas because he publically stated that he saw no reason to leave Spurs, gave his adoring fans the hope that he would stay at the club and help lead us on (considering the fact that ENIC had just replaced Sugar as the controlling shareholder, Glenda was back at the club and the future looked brighter) He kept saying the same things in the days leading to his betrayal.

Then he went to the one club on earth that Spurs fans couldn't accept seeing him at. Any other club would have done. ManYoo, Liverpool, Chelsea, any side on the Continent. We're mostly a realistic bunch at WHL, we knew the time would come when rSol would want to win things (and he certainly didn't do at at Spurs) Thats why we didn't respond in a similar way when Ted moved to Old Trafford, and we welcomed him back with open arms when he came back to us.

• Advertisement

You sound far too logical to be a football fan.

He is a Judas because he publically stated that he saw no reason to leave Spurs, gave his adoring fans the hope that he would stay at the club and help lead us on (considering the fact that ENIC had just replaced Sugar as the controlling shareholder, Glenda was back at the club and the future looked brighter) He kept saying the same things in the days leading to his betrayal.

Then he went to the one club on earth that Spurs fans couldn't accept seeing him at. Any other club would have done. ManYoo, Liverpool, Chelsea, any side on the Continent. We're mostly a realistic bunch at WHL, we knew the time would come when rSol would want to win things (and he certainly didn't do at at Spurs) Thats why we didn't respond in a similar way when Ted moved to Old Trafford, and we welcomed him back with open arms when he came back to us.

I know if I was going to leave Coke for Pepsi I wouldn't go around shouting about it ;) You seem to think Campbell owes Spurs fans something. Why? The man is an employee, trying to get a wage and conditions that suit him (Arsenal playing in London being the operative one). He had already given the Spurs fans years of service.

I've said my part.

Triton wrote:
    I know if I was going to leave Coke for Pepsi I wouldn't go around shouting about it ;) You seem to think Campbell owes Spurs fans something. Why?

Because if they didn't fill WHL every week he'd have been a street cleaner? I don't know, maybe you see football as a business, I like to think its more than that. Anyway, him leaving the club ain't the issue, its the manner in which he went (and who he went to). From your comments, it seems you don't have a problem with a player not being true to his word.

Because if they didn't fill WHL every week he'd have been a street cleaner? I don't know, maybe you see football as a business, I like to think its more than that. Anyway, him leaving the club ain't the issue, its the manner in which he went (and who he went to). From your comments, it seems you don't have a problem with a player not being true to his word.

LOL :) If you hadn't filled White Hart Lane, Campbell would just have started out with a different club. He still would of had the quality to break into professional football.

Football is a business. Man United and Chelsea have shown that.

Triton wrote:
    LOL :) If you hadn't filled White Hart Lane, Campbell would just have started out with a different club. He still would of had the quality to break into professional football.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the coaching and guidance he received at Spurs during his early years helped make him the player he was. Players don't develop their skills in a vacumn.

The point is though, without fans professional football would not exist, and Campbell wouldn't be the millionaire that hs is now. So yes, players owe something to the people who walk through the turnstiles or pay for the Sky Sports subscription.
    Triton wrote:
    Football is a business. Man United and Chelsea have shown that.

I say again, for clarity or emphasis...his betrayal was not his leaving the club, it was the manner in which he conducted himself prior to leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

One of the papers had it this morning that he's in love with an 18 year-old Essex girl. Could just be more crap though.

Whatever is up with Sol, its come at the worst possible time for Arsenal, with questions over their form and Henry's future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The Sol Campbell rumours about him being gay are almost certainly rubbish.

Perhaps, perhaps not. The rumours have been round for years now but maybe someone who could 'out him' is now blackmailing him or threating him? Who knows?

By the law of averages there has to be a fair few gay footballers knocking around yet Justin Fashanu is the only publicly gay player I've ever heard of (and even he didn't come out until after his playing days iirc?). So clearly (even in our more enlightened times) a lot of players are afraid of letting it be known as it probably is something that could affect their careers and personal lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There was also a rumour knocking around a while ago that a player at the top premiership club, who was the highest earner, and an england international, has aids, and that the media had been gagged on the story.

Although, I doubt it, I think he is just having a bad time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

According to The Sun ''poor'' Sol has been screwing around with numerous women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sol's solicitor just issued statement saying Sol has absolutely no personal problems and will be back in training next week !!

Andip wrote:
    Sol's solicitor just issued statement saying Sol has absolutely no personal problems and will be back in training next week !!

So it appears that all the talk of personal problems is just a smokescreen by the club to disguise the obvious falling out between player and manager. Thats very poor form if its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

This is not the place for such rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Tritton, i'm a Spurs fan. Have been since about 10 years ago. Campbell was my favourite player, and i was devastated when he left, especially the fact that he went to Arsenal. It may be close to his home, but thats one of the reasons it hurt so much, too close to our home! My favourite player, going to the team that i dislike the most!

I still think he's a fantastic defender, and enjoy watching him play, but its hard to get over something like that.

The only thing that can be used as an example(a very stupid example, but...) Imagine Marge Simpson left Homer for Flanders. Think about it, i know its ridiculous but its kinda what it was like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Nowt to see here
    Well, if it is, maybe he should take a leaf out of Pennants book, the guy is on form lately...

Bloody hell, it seems here that Sol has been linked with a host of Premiership footballers...so I'll sit out and stop casting aspersions.

Anyway, whatever the problem he's having, its his business and when he's ready to tell people he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The Muppet wrote:
    Surely not freddie as well.:eek:
    Ljumberg appeared on the cover of a gay times magazine a couple of years back which sparked the rumors I think, but for ****'s sake, it's such a non-issue.

but for ****'s sake, it's such a non-issue.

I totally agree , and I was aware of freddie alleged preferences too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

pfft, Sol was doing Martina Hingis for a while, that makes him A-OK to me, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

from an email:

going out tonight but i cant stay long, so whoever's getting the first ones in get me a Sol Campbell...

a quick half and i'm out the gap....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement