Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"straight acting"

Options
  • 02-02-2006 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Do other people detest the term "straight acting" as much as I do. I am a gay guy, have no problem with it, but am not particularly camp or have particularly "homosexual" traits. Most people think that I am straight, given that most people presume everyone is straight until something suggests otherwise. However, I am just myself, and not "acting" straight. The term "straight acting" really bugs me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's been quite a bit of discussion on this topic on the forum over the years.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=1398411

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Someone told me once that I was the straightest guy they knew... I was oddly pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What is is you don't like about the term? Is it that you don't see your self as 'straight acting', because you're not putting it on and this is they way you actually are?

Or do you not like the 'straight' part of it, because despite how you act, you're not straight?

Personally I think I'd only get annoyed if I was being really pedantic. If someone knew I was gay and said "oh, you're pretty straight acting" I'd assume he meant I'm not camp, or simply that it never occured to him that I could be gay, and think nothing more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Straight acting is a term generally used by gay men who have issues that some of their fellow brethern are different from the expected societal norms. Generally it is also used with phrases like "no queens please" "genuine" "no headcases" "sane" and other untruisms on a gaydar profile.

Many of those that use the term are the same ones who are just as judgemental as the homophobes who hate all gays. Irony or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

yeah, people often when they find im gay say they never suspected, i was the last person they thought, or else they knew from the first moment they saw me. odd isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Well I'm gay but not camp at all! Once somebody said to me that I'm the straightest fella they know! Little did they know how wrong they were! Just act yourself as there is no reason to put any act on (unless you're acting that is!) I suppose some gay fellas pretend to be straight to cover their sexuality up but I know straight fellas who put on a "gay act" to provoke the ladies who uncannily seem to find attraction in male homosexual behaviour! Strange . . . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 atlantis

no the term doesnt really bother me at all... a lot of people confuse me with it though cos my family say that i am straight acting and that i have no characteristics of being gay while most of my friends say yeah i make it pretty obvious but without being camp... i just gave up thinking about it.

Advertisement