Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Water = Crispy Clothes

Options
  • 02-02-2006 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi All,

The washing machine is not performing as it should......clothes don't smell as fresh as before and are very rough when dried.
    The plumber said it was because of hard water (had the water tested; he's right) and that I should fit a softener system to fix the problem. The systems are expensive and all that I've seen are for improving the entire household water supply. We have not noticed any loss of water quality in taps, shower, etc and so I would like to fit a small unit just for the washing machine supply only. Another reason for not going with the full scale system is the septic tank issue i.e too much salt used, kills the bacteria etc.

Does anyone know of such a unit, described elsewhere as about the size of a Coke can, which fits to the washing machine water pipe?
    Any other views very welcome!

Thanks R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Rusty,

Have you tried that product advertised on the television ? Calgon I think.

The problem I have with most of the small softeners is they usually don't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

AFAIK,
    I could be wrong, but isnt calgon for dishwashers?
    I would imagine clothes wouldnt really build up *that* much calcium deposits ;)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

As the song says "washing machines live longer with calgon".

Do you use fabric softener...If not perhaps try something like comfort as it does really soften the fabric !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yeah we have very hard water too and pop one of those water softener tabs (Calgon or the lookalikes available in Lidl and Aldi) with every other wash (or whenever I remember). Although I hadn't noticed any deterioration in wash result prior to using the tabs. Maybe using the dryer softenes the clothes again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the calgon was just the prevent the build-up of limescale on the actual washing machine parts themselves. I didn't think they had any effect on the clothes. I could be wrong though. I guess they won't do any harm anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

yes they are to prevent build up of limescale......which is caused by hard water, they soften the water

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you just need conditioner
    My clothes come out all hard and rough if I dont use conditioner (or if I cheap out and buy the lidl special, 75 washes for €1.99, I should have known better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

Thank you all for the advice........I must watch more television.......never heard of Calgon, but the minute I mentioned it to the household engineer, she said 'Calgon'? But isn't that for dishwashers? (!)

Turns out it is an additive for washing machines in hard water areas..... I'm off to the company store for a box of this magic potion, and will be experimenting tonight!

Will let you all know how it turns out............I'm sure you're all beside yourself.......LOL

Many thanks, R.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

waiting.........................................

heh
    Just wondering tho if anyone has had the hard water treatment yokies fitted, is it worth it?

Dave_W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

Hello again!

Calgon Rules! Much improved clothes, and the amount of suds suddenly on show is frightening!

Thank you all for the info/advice.

Talk soon,

Rusty

• Advertisement
Advertisement