Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Podcasting -feedback wanted

• 02-02-2006 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am a 4th DCU multimedia student and am currently in the process of idea generation for my final group project/thesis. One of the ideas which we are very interested in persuing is podcasting notes for leaving cert subjects so students can have information dictated while they are studying or commuting to and from school etc.
    This would generally involve notes being recorded to a podcast which students could then download and listen to whenever they want. For those with colour Ipods there would also be an option to download diagrams/images to accompany the notes. These podcasts and images could also be played/viewed on any computer so mp3 players are not essential.

We would also be aiming this service at dyslexic/disabled students who have difficulty with or are unable to read.

At the moment we are looking for feedback from leaving cert students to asses whether this would be a worthwhile project.

If you are a leaving cert student please vote in the poll and feel free to comment on the idea with any suggestions, questions etc.

thanks for your time

Would you use a service providing leaving cert notes as podcasts? 19 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Where's the poll?

And I'd be in favour of this as long as the notes were good, I'd recommentd speaking to teachers wo know their subject well about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deadbeat

Thanks for the feedback, the quality of the notes would obviously be extremely important in the production of the podcasts.
    The poll should be above the first post, i can see it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Sounds like a good idea but yeah, the teachers would have to be chosen carefully which shouldn't be too hard to do that as most of the best teachers are cheif examiners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yes, without a doubt I fully back this. Especially the notes/diagrams on the colour iPods idea.

What might be a better idea would be podcasts about the exams - what's tipped to come up, what we need to know, current events we should be keeping an eye on. I remember for the Junior cert there was a programme on 2fm every night coming up to the exams and every night during them discussing the days papers. They had teachers in and I found it really really helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

This would be extremely benificial for languages, yes from me, no harm in trying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

It'd be excellent to have the notes on an mp3 player, you'd remember so much more. It depends on the price if i'd use it or not, but it's an excellent idea and could catch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Miss...

Great Idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Yes, good idea.

Preferably not a boring voice! And Id imagine this service would be free? Otherwise Id just record my own notes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Wel its a great idea! but why not just record yourself on your computer and save the file and put it up on ur itunes and upload d file? I doubt these podcast are free! Ill jus stick with my way! nevertheless good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hotasfunk

Yeah same, I like the sound of my own voice anyway... So its all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Some valid points raised there.
    Deadbeat:
    Would the podcasts be free or what would the cost be?
    Who would be 'the voice'? What criteria for selection..? (Or yourself?:))
    How quickly do you think you could make material available?
    Would it be released a subject at a time, or what format would the podcasts take?

I think it's a fantastic idea. Especially, with regard to students with disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deadbeat

Thanks again for the comments and kind words. This would be a free service, i think we all know at this stage that people (especially students) arent willing to pay for mp3s!

'The voice' is very important to us, nobody is going to be able to learn from an annoying or boring voice. We're in the process of studying the best type of voice (male/female/tone/pitch etc.) to learn from so we hope to have the best voice possible.

The actual project isnt due until May so the final product wont be available until then but we may post some sample podcasts to gauge student's reactions and find out what we're doing wrong/right.

We hope to be providing the material as podcasts, straight mp3 files for those with other brands of mp3 players and enhanced M4A podcasts for those with the new generation of colour/photo ipods. The enhanced podcasts will contain embedded images and diagrams and will enable the listener to skip between chapters within the podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

If its free then why not! anything free in life is great! GO go go for it :D

Advertisement