Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[el]St Pats and Rovers Groundsharing....

• 03-02-2006 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Dubs fan Bertie Ahern is being begged to help put Gaelic Games into the controversial Tallaght Stadium project. Dublin GAA supremo John Costello yesterday called on Taoiseach Ahern to stop them being frozen out of plans for the ground.
    The latest twist in the long-running saga, which has left the shell of a stadium vacant for the last two years, comes after the government confirmed the project is a soccer-only stadium.
    But GAA bosses, who ahve a strong presence in Tallaght, have always pushed hard for all codes to be played there. And they have backing from elements of the local authority.
    But Minister for Sport John O'Donoghue has again stated Tallaght will be all soccer, claiming other sports in the area had been well looked after with grants.

Quotes from Costello: "The minister's position on this long-running issue is baffling and serves to undermine the good working relationship that exists between the department of sport and the GAA in Dublin. I have today requested meetings with both the minister and the county manager of SDCC to explore how this impasse can be overcome in a manner which respects the aspirations of all sports codes. I am concerned, however, that the minister's stance on the matter will cause the stadium to be delayed even further. I have also today called on Taoiseach Bertie Ahern to personally intervene on the issue and in particular to ensure that the democratically taken decision of SDCC is respected.
    "We are also very concerned by the suggestion in the minister's response that the use of the stadium by the GAA cannot be accommodated because of the need to accommodate a second professional soccer club in the stadium. We ahve been aware from some time that plans had been drawn up for St. Patrick's Athletic, as well as Shamrock R, to use the stadium. Clearly, if such a ground share on the south side is contemplated then it should logically be accommodated at St. Patrick's ground at Richmond Park"

From todays Sun, its all so viral how these things come about from the FAI and goverment. They dont just ask they plant these things and altho we all know its coming. rather than just say yes this is what we want they try to virally get it into peoples heads 1st.

As posted before the GAA really want that ground and saldy usually get what they want whether its a piece of land, a bar licence, planning permission for a new clubhouse,a 300 million 80,000 all seater stadium.

Again its more being pushed into our faces, but whats interesting to non EL fans is this line.
    I have today requested meetings with both the minister and the county manager of SDCC to explore how this impasse can be overcome in a manner which respects the aspirations of all sports codes.

How many votes/years did it take for rule 42 to be abolished? Altho i dislike the GAA for not killing rule 42 earlier this smacks of hypocrisy :(, but as a Pats fan Woot :D Go GAA!!!!

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If this goes through, as someone said on foot.ie, Parnell Park and GAA grounds in general should be opened to Irish soccer clubs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If this goes through, as someone said on foot.ie, Parnell Park and GAA grounds in general should be opened to Irish soccer clubs.

Thats never gonna happen. Im not saying its right but the GAA are always going to be counted as the main sport in this country and therefor gonna get the better grants and facilities. I dont think thats right though. They have announced there last week that a new 42,000 capacity stadium is getting built in Clare by the GAA. Could you ever imagine that happening for the Eircom League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kingp35 wrote:
    Could you ever imagine that happening for the Eircom League?

Haha, hahahahaha, hahaha, ha, no. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

The club have got a letter from the Dept of Sport saying that Tallaght will be built as a football ground.

It just isn't realistic to make the stadium compatible between GAA and football.

The buck stops with the Minister not the SDCC or GAA so they can moan and whine to the tabloids all they want.

As for Pats coming to Tallaght thats a decision its members will have to take. Hopefully they will stay at Richmond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well the funding was withdrawn and will only be reinstated once GAA it taken out of the equation. I'm all for that. The GAA have enough and get way more funding than Soccer in this country and have no place in the Tallaght Stadium.

They were up in arms over the opening of Croker and the use of GAA facilities for Soccer (the foreign game) however they seem to have no problem jumping into Soccer facilities to play GAA. Thats just plain wrong.

Being a long suffering Rovers fan and ex player that stadium should be football only and Rovers only...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

we all know the contempt that the GAA have for Soccer, its pityful really, i love GAA i love to play and to watch our national game, but its wrong that they feel so threatend by soccer that they need to try throw spanners in te works. A sad day (week,month,years) for Irish sports

iregk wrote:
    Well the funding was withdrawn and will only be reinstated once GAA it taken out of the equation. I'm all for that. The GAA have enough and get way more funding than Soccer in this country and have no place in the Tallaght Stadium.

They were up in arms over the opening of Croker and the use of GAA facilities for Soccer (the foreign game) however they seem to have no problem jumping into Soccer facilities to play GAA. Thats just plain wrong.

Being a long suffering Rovers fan and ex player that stadium should be football only and Rovers only...

Actually the cheque is ready to go and the GAA will be out of the equation.

When did you play for Rovers? Reason I ask is that the club are working on an ex players association at the moment.

Why does this deep lying hatred of soccer still exist? its proven that they co exist harmlessly. Growing up playing bother as a kid I played footie on a saturday and ga on a sunday. My football team knew about the ga and hadn't a problem as i was as fit as f**k.

As soon as the ga team found out (when i said i couldn't go on a weekend away as i had a semi of a cup on the sat) they lost reason and told me to choose. Now I wasn't the only one! I was 14 at the time and loved both!

Will the gaa ever get over themselves and just move on...

speriamo wrote:
    Actually the cheque is ready to go and the GAA will be out of the equation.

When did you play for Rovers? Reason I ask is that the club are working on an ex players association at the moment.

Yeah I knew the funding was ready to rock but didn't they say they want the gaa out before handing it over. Hopefully it will go as planned.

As regards to playing. I played for them from 98 to 2001 and never actually heard of the ex players association. Do you have any details on it?

iregk wrote:
    Yeah I knew the funding was ready to rock but didn't they say they want the gaa out before handing it over. Hopefully it will go as planned.

As regards to playing. I played for them from 98 to 2001 and never actually heard of the ex players association. Do you have any details on it?

Trying to figure out who you are!!

From the official site December 22:

Former Players Association
    A Shamrock Rovers Former Players Association will begin a rigorous recruitment campaign in the New Year, under the supervision of the SRFC board and former players who wish to be actively involved. If you know any former Hoops who would like to join - membership is free - please get them to contact the club by phone, email, post or fax. There will be a formal first meeting to determine a committee, with plans for various activities including an SRFPA Lunch, a charity golf outing and a regular newsletter.

SHAMROCK ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUB
    35 Boyne House
    Greenmount Office Park
    Harold's Cross
    Dublin 6
    Phone: 709 3620
    Fax: 709 3699
    eMail: info@shamrockrovers.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Disgusted to see local Sinn Feiner Sean Crowe pandering to the GAA on this one - he was the one to bring it up in the Dail. I just hope he comes knocking on my door when the next election rolls around.

The GAA may have bowed to the pressure the entire nation put on them to open up Croke Park but the leopard never changes its spots and they're trying to kill football in Tallaght before it's even got off the ground. It's a typical GAA mentality - our funding is ours and you can't play on our grounds, but your funding should be ours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The GAA may have bowed to the pressure the entire nation put on them to open up Croke Park but the leopard never changes its spots and they're trying to kill football in Tallaght before it's even got off the ground. It's a typical GAA mentality - our funding is ours and you can't play on our grounds, but your funding should be ours too.

Seemingly they dont really want the stadium but a nice big compensation cheque and this crap is ther stick they are using to stir it up and get that big fat cheque.

^ Rumour form alleged people in the know, those alleged people are usually right :)

kdjac

Advertisement