Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serious help needed

• 03-02-2006 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I posted a thread about feeling depressed a few weeks ago. I went and told my parents. We've been to the GP and the hospital today and I was told I was depressed and given a prescription for sleeping tablets and anti-depressants.
    I went to the hospital with my dad and saw three doctors. When I got home my mam said she didn't want me taking the tablets and that I don't need them. I just want to start to get better. I think she is being stupid. I feel really stupid now because I was very nervous about telling anyone about this and now that I got help she's not letting me take it.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You take them as perscribed by your dr.
    You will have to tell your mother that the drs are the professionals and they know better then she does, if needs be tell her Dad to have a word with her as she is not helping you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Explain to your mother that depression is an illness... that sometimes requires medication to help you get better. A lot of older people seem to think that depression is something you can just snap out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The thing is she suffers from depression herself. I think she feels that she wants to be the only one in the house with it and she's worse off than everyone else. She's on anti-depressants herself. I just feel why should she be getting help and not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

i wonder are you the same person who posted about his, er, overbearing mother a month or so back? if not i apologise.

anyway, you have been prescribed drugs by a professional. take them and forget about your mothers bizarre feelings towards the situation. this is about you getting better and not about her need to be the only one to "bear the cross" of depression in your family. if you are the same guy who i mentioned at the start of the post, maybe its time to move out of home. if not disregard!

either way, good luck mate:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

She coud be worried about the tablets and the side effects they may have.
    It is not uncommon for family memebers to suffer from depression wether it is a predespostion or a enviromental factor from living in a depressed household.

You have to do this for yourself and look out for yourslef, you mother will have to learn to deal with her own illness/issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mayfieldman

its all about choices and positive thinking, depend on tablets for depression. soon enough you'll depend on pills for every little problem in life that will arise. all about choices . make the one for you, not your parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Anti-depressants suck.

Being depressed suck more.

Getting over depression requires changes that pills can't do for you, but they can get you on your feet enough to make those changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Talliesin wrote:
    Getting over depression requires changes that pills can't do for you, but they can get you on your feet enough to make those changes.

Yeah can't argue with that. if your mother has been suffering with depression for a long time, i presume she has been on anti-=depressants herself, she may feel that there's a dependance there, and I'd guess that she doesn't want that for you.

There's no easy way around this, I would try pointing out to your mother that you feel you need help with this, and the medication can take enough of the edge off to let you get a handle on things.

Sorry, but the only way to work through depression is very, very slowly. Chin up bud, you'll get there. Or else we'll send the boys 'round :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

the only way to get over depression is to figure **** out in your head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Blue Peter

Mens Sana in Corpore Sano. Take the pills to give you a bit of a lift then start eating healthily, get some regular exercise and cut down on any bad habits like booze/fags. Then kick the pills into touch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Corksham

You made the right decision going to seek medical advice
    Do not listen to your mothers advice, she is not a doctor (I assume) and has no idea of what is going on in your life / head

I was off them for the last year but went to my GP this morning for a prescription, I hate taking them but they can make things better, not a magical solution but a little white firend in a time of need

Admitting you have the ilness is the first step, I have survived 2 overdoses and do get suicidal from time to time but there is help out there and you are heading down the right path, dont be ashamed to talk about your ilness there are 1000s of us in Ireland all fighting the same battle

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

I get the sense your mother wants to be the centre of attention..

Psychiatrists don't hand over a prescription of pills for no reason, take them.
    If you feel that at any time you are unsafe with having so many pills within your reach can I suggest you get your dr to write the script so the chemist can only dispense it weekly.
    This is what I do, it takes the temptation away to do anything you might regret afterwards.

Also, do NOT come off them without medical supervision. Trust me on this.
    If you get any unwanted side effects speak to your pharmicist or GP, either can put your mind at rest.

I hope these meds help ease the load for you, depression is no fun:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

look up the tablets first.

i got a prescription for depression, i looked it up. they could have made me
    Sterile
    Blind
    Uncontrolable urges to go to the toilet.
    hallucenegenic.
    all kinds of crazy crap.
    look it up ALWAYS unless you know what it is, doctors know what they are doing, BUT they sometimes make mistakes. so i always look up prescriptions.

well thats my view :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 puppyhead

I think she is just looking out for you. Mabe she has experienced bad side effects from the tablets, or believes the tablets have made her worse not better. They can be addictive in the long term. Mant she is sheltering you from that. I am on lexapro. I have noticd when I dont take the tablets daily, i turn into a terrible person- kinda a state of craizness. This never happened before i started to take them. You can lose yourself by taking these drugs.
    I would have a serious talk with her, and find out the real reson why she wont let you take the tablets. goodluck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jabiru

i am sorry to hear that you feel depressed.and understand that this is a difficult time for you. Nobody can undermine your G.P. and who knows maybe you really do need anti D's.

Ask yourself this question. Do I believe these tablets are the answer to my situation?

If the answer is no then there are very simple ways to deal with your depression.

Depression is a simple thing to cure, be aware of that.

If you need to know more get in touch my friend.

no hocus pocus just reality

good luck

jabiru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jabiru wrote:
    Ask yourself this question. Do I believe these tablets are the answer to my situation?
    How about the OP asks himself/herself the question: do I believe these tablets can be part of the solution to my situation? Because that's a much better question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

My opinion is this:

There are all kinds of things that affect you a bit.

Add these small effects together, and you get a major effect.

If you are feeling, what Dr's label as depressed, there are probably several things that are leaving you feeling a bit worse, and together, they make you feel bad.

So you need to figure out what helps and combine all the things that help to powerfully help yourself.

Some things, I find, that help are:
    - Exercise, sports
    - Eating really healthily
    - Avoiding chocolate / sweets / sugary food / soft drinks
    - Eating porridge / fruit / salad / drinking lots of water
    - Figuring out if you are allergic to stuff and cutting that out
    - Eating less dairy products
    - Doing stuff you enjoy
    - Doing yoga
    - Walking by the beach and in the country
    - Swimming (especially in the sea)
    - Smiling more and watching things that make you laugh on TV
    - Working hard doing things I find interesting
    - Listening to music (do you have an MP3 player)
    - Not having a tv in your bedroom
    - Getting not too much and not too little sleep
    - Being around positive people

Any medication simply is designed to change your brain chemistry . neuro chemistry and reduce the chemicals connected "feelings" of depression. I believe that this can work, though there are often side effects, and there are better solutons and better ways to change your brain chemistry.

Good Luck!

PS: Of all the things that i know that for me really help, one of the simplest and best is this:

http://www.agnihotraindia.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Have you considered seeing a counsellor?

Fine the tabs may get mood-swings under control, but I find it hard to believe that any species are born needing meds to feel normal. Something happened in your life to cause depression, something can be done to resolve it. Meds should only be a temporary measure.

So I think in the long term it's issues you probably have to resolve, maybe the issue is simply deciding that you have a life to live and you have a right to be happy, even if your mum isn't. Or maybe it's something deeper. Sounds like she knows well that the meds are just for taking the edge off symptoms, but are no substitute for solving the underlying problems. It's likely she has your best interests at heart more so than the drug prescribers.

A friend of mine was prescribed damned expensive anti-biotics which did zero, when he went back to his gp for something effective he noticed a calendar, pen, writing pad, all with the logo of the useless drug. Go figure. Don't accept doctors analyses or prescriptions without question, manage your situation, as another posted, google for side-effects.

Are you unhappy about your past, present, or expected future life?
    What good reason can you give for not being able to have a happy future?
    What's tripping you up?
    Probably too much to expect to solve online, hence a few sessions with a counsellor might be worthwhile. Can't do any harm :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Judging by jabirus other post on PI sticking up the same empty rhetoric plus an email address he is sitebanned. I'm not having anyone trying to prey on sufferers of any type on PI. If you have any magical healing to do - do it on thread, that way everyone is helped and we know you're not out for a quick buck. Scepticism saves money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

It is advisable to take these tablets. One should also read the enclosed notes about side effects. Most nasty side effects diminish greatly after some days or weeks.

John C

• Advertisement
Advertisement