Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle path part time !?!?!?!?

Options
  • 03-02-2006 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As many of you, I cycle every day to work. Luckily without major incident beside once having been requested by a policeman to show him that my lights were working (of course they were) while I was waiting for the trafic lights to go green, or having to cycle on the street instead of the bicycle path due to a large file of cars parking there.

The thing is that today I had time and on my way to work, on Berkley Rd (off North Circular Rd) I spotted a policeman (quite senior) happily wandering along no less than 15 cars parked on the bicycle path.

I decided to stop and asked him who was respondible for looking after this street, as every day that scenario was the same, and he answered: "this is not a biciycle path". First I couldn't believe my ears and I though I hadn't understood his english so I kindly ask him to repeat it, what he did.

Now, I couldn't believe my eyes, as that was a 1 meter wide red path on the left side of the street with white bicycles signs every a couple of meters. So I asked:

-What is it then?.
    -Well, it is a bicycle path but not 24hs. Only some times. And not at this tome. Sorry about that.

I looked at him and couldn't avoid laughing. He smiled to me and each of us followed its own way.

I want to keep investigating this. Any assitance is more than welcome.

Gustavo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It could be a part time bike lane but there should be a sign indicating that
    25-11-05_1909.jpg
    (http://www.geocities.com/cyclopath2001/])

If it's marked by a broken white line parking (and driving) are allowed all the time.

His attitude is fairly typical - nobody really gives a damn about these things unless they take exception to you and demand you ride on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

gzoladz wrote:
    I want to keep investigating this. Any assitance is more than welcome.

Yes, cycle tracks can be switched off.
    Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations, 1998
    14. (1) A cycle track shall be indicated by traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM023 (broken white line) which latter signs may be marked on the right-hand edge of the cycle track or on the right-hand and left-hand edges of the cycle track.

(2) The periods of operation of a cycle track may be indicated on an information plate which may be provided in association with traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A.

(3) (a) Subject to paragraph (b), a pedal cycle must be driven on a cycle track where one is provided.

(b) Paragraph (a) shall not apply in the case of a cycle track on the right-hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 023 has been provided,

(i) where a person driving a pedal cycle intends to change direction and has indicated that intention, or

(ii) where a bus is stopped in the cycle track at a point where traffic sign RUS 031 (bus stop) is provided, or

(iii) where a vehicle is parked in the cycle track for the purpose of loading or unloading.

(4) Where a cycle track is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left-hand side of each lane.

(5) (a) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 has been provided, save for the purpose of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.

(b) A reference in paragraph (a) to driving along or across a cycle track shall include a reference to driving wholly or partly along or across a cycle track.

(6) Where a vehicle is parked on that part of a road in relation to which traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A is provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 or RRM 023 (cycle track), in advance of the commencement of the period indicated on an information plate which may accompany traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A, the parking of the said vehicle must cease and the vehicle must be removed from that part of the road prior to the commencement of that period save where article 5 (5) applies.
    Road Traffic (Signs) (Amendment) Regulations, 1998
    26. (1) Traffic sign number RRM 022 or traffic sign number RRM 023 shall indicate the right hand edge or the right and left hand edges of a cycle track.

(2) Traffic sign number RRM 022 shall consist of a continuous white line approximately 100 millimetres or 150 millimetres wide.

(3) Traffic sign number RRM 023 shall consist of a broken white line consisting of segments not less than 100 millimetres and not more than 150 millimetres wide, approximately 750 millimetres long and spaced approximately 750 millimetres apart.

RUS 009
    RUS 009A
    RUS 009 with Information Plate

RRM 022
    RRM 023
    RRM 022 too left of Bus lane

These ones are intresting, the cycletrack sign has no information plate, the information plate is part of the clearway sign or parking sign.
    ?
    ?
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Morgan wrote:
    If it's marked by a broken white line parking (and driving) are allowed all the time.

Nope you can't park on any type of cycle track during it's period of operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

gzoladz wrote:
    Hi all,

-Well, it is a bicycle path but not 24hs. Only some times. And not at this tome. Sorry about that.

Gustavo.
    Dont you know that cyclists only cycle at certain times of the day? :) And even when they are switched on the police seem less than eager to ticket people for parking in them.
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Kind of sounds like father ted.. taking the roads in for the night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kind of sounds like father ted.. taking the roads in for the night

Damn, I cou;dn't help laughing out loud in work when I read that :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I wouldn't worry, cycle lanes are over-rated:
    http://www.lesberries.co.uk/cycling/infra/infra.html

M

Advertisement