Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp Duty Yes or No

Options
  • 03-02-2006 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Myself and Wife/Kids are considering a move to Delvin West Meath. It is a new house purchase price 220,000. Our current house was bought 2nd hand back in 1991.

My question is around would I have to pay stamp duty on the new house. I have been told by a couple of people that as long as its the family residence I do not have to worry about stamp duty.

Apologies is this is a silly question but its something thats on my mind.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Stamp duty = No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Macker1 wrote:
    I have been told by a couple of people that as long as its the family residence I do not have to worry about stamp duty.

Correct

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Take a look on www.mortgages.ie But I think you are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Capital gains no
    Stamp duty yes if the sq feet exeeds c.1500 if not no stamp duty to be paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

BingoBongo wrote:
    Capital gains no
    Stamp duty yes if the sq feet exeeds c.1500 if not no stamp duty to be paid

The new house is around 1350 sq ft so I should be alright.:) :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Macker1 wrote:
    The new house is around 1350 sq ft so I should be alright.:) :):)
    Actually, I think the limit is lower than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Victor wrote:
    Actually, I think the limit is lower than that.

I thought it was higher at 2500sq ft anybody know for sure?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/stamp_duty.html

Owner-occupiers of new houses/apartments are exempt from stamp duty, provided that the area of the house or apartment does not exceed 125 sq. metres (1,346 sq. feet) and a Floor Area Compliance Certificate has been issued. The house or apartment must not have been occupied prior to its purchase. It must be occupied as the owner's main place of residence for a period of five years from the date of the purchase deed.

Advertisement