Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgraceful red card.

• 03-02-2006 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

http://www.baqu.neostrada.pl/WWW.FCBARCA.COM/zaragoza/ronnikartka.avi

Straight red card for Ronaldinho, after what seems like a small, meaningless collision with the Real Zaragosa player. Ridiculous! I have to say, that is possibly one of the most shambolic decisions i have ever seen by a referee. Well, in recent memory - im sure you guys will have a list of worse but whatever. Rijkaard had to hold him away from the 4th official,he was so outraged!

Opinions? What do you think the ref saw that made him think, within 5 seconds, that it was a red card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was never even a yellow. Maybe it was Karma for diving? They do say these things even themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i'd almost believe the ref was paid to send him off ,ruling him out of the final if they did win. It could be the worst decision i have ever seen. Especially given the fact that Zaragoza had put in some rough challenges already, and only had yellows pulled on them. It was NEVER a red, hardly even a yellow.

I wouldn't say pele was to happy up in the stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Barely a yellow ? It was barely a FOUL. possibly the worst footballing decision I have ever seen. I cant believe it...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The referee is trying to make a name for himself, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thats ridiculous, the ref should be demoted to schollboy soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Only caught the second half of the game last night so I didn't see this, but I did notice the ref was giving a lot of favourable decisions towards Zaragoza throughout the second half. That's an absolutely disgraceful decision, it was a fair shoulder challenge about 60 yards from goal. It wasn't even a yellow, the ref had to have been on a backhander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

That ref was definetly on the take or has something personal against Barca. He slowed down the play as much as possible, never got the Zaragoza players back 10 yards at free kicks(on several occasions they were standing over the ball and never moved, the ref just jogged away ignoring it) and then he only gave 3 minutes injury time. There should have been at least 5 minutes and this was compounded when he blew the final whistle only 2 minutes 30 seconds into that injury time, even though Barca scored during time added on which should have made the stated injury time longer not shorter! The Barca players were incensed at the end.
    On a brighter note Messi was outstanding. He must have been fouled over a dozen times and just kept coming back for more. That reminds me of another outrageous ref decision - Messi was straight through on goal at the edge of the box, defender on a yellow takes him out of it and free is given but no second yellow produced!
    Rijkaard did very well to keep his calm throughout, which transmitted to his players otherwise the all would have really flipped the lid. I'm sure he rightly had something to say on the disgraceful performance after the game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I can kinda see where the ref is coming from. Ronaldinho definetly body checks the guy from behind (imho not a fair 'shoulder charge') and is going in with one leg from behind too (the Zaragoza player is clearly between R and the ball). It also looks like R had both feet off the ground when he did it too meaning he had no control over how hard or accurate the hit/tackle would be ie he 'flew into the tackle' rather than just sticking a leg out.

That said tho I don't know how you would have called it. Probably would have given him a yellow, certainly was a clear foul at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Spanish refereeing in general is a joke, this decision just highlights it. Ronaldinho's reaction was priceless, he really couldn't believe it.

Rijkaard did well to control his players at the end, and his post-match statements were excellent. He didn't like to lose, but he was looking on the bright side, saying that at least now they have more time to prepare for the Chelsea game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

No way Pigman II that was just an awful decision. If anything it was a shoulder charge that was hardly deserving of a yellow card never mind a red. That sort of decision just screams that the ref is on the take. Absolutely terrible and probably the worst I have ever seen bar the ref in the Leeds V Bayern Munich European Cup final when the ref was on the take and was barred from ever refereeing another match.

Shocking decision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Disgraceful decision, but i wouldnt say the ref is on the take, its just the standard of refereeing in spain sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I have watched this a couple of times and it is no worse that the Johnston tackle against Agger on Wednesday for which he was sent off. Ronnie came in from behind, delayed his tackle until the ball was gone, his foot was up and he also charged the player. He also stopped a good attack deliberately which if Real had scored would have ended the tie effectively. A red card was harsh but not surprising.
    thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

thegills wrote:
    I have watched this a couple of times and it is no worse that the Johnston tackle against Agger on Wednesday for which he was sent off. Ronnie came in from behind, delayed his tackle until the ball was gone, his foot was up and he also charged the player. He also stopped a good attack deliberately which if Real had scored would have ended the tie effectively. A red card was harsh but not surprising.
    thegills

Johnsons red card was quite harsh imo, but this decision was completely different, baffling to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

An absolutely disgraceful decision.

First time Ive ever Ronaldinho look angry as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

thegills wrote:
    thegills

You cant be serious ? Johson came in late with his studs showing and stamped ( unintentionally ) on Aggers thigh. Ronahlindios tackle cant be comapred to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

thegills wrote:
    thegills

rofl, there is always one.

Advertisement