Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drug testing

Options
  • 03-02-2006 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Are BDO and PDC players drug-tested in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Why would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

For the same reason any sportsperson is drug tested, for performance enhancement. I'd assume they are but have never heard of a player being tested or it being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

how could someone use it to an advantage, obviously in football or athletics, the drugs can help performance, but how would drugs help a man throwing a dart at a wall? most of them are on alcohol anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

While I don't know anything about specific sports-related drugs, I'll use recreational drugs as an example.

Speed: Short term focus increase, improved confidence etc.

Cannabis : Calming of nerves

You may remember Ronnie O'Sullivan had the 1998 Irish Masters title taken off him because he failed a drug test for cannabis. While I laughed at the decision at the time, thinking that it couldn't have aided him in any way, he may have used it as a relaxant (I can't remember if he gave his own reason or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Since darts became a recognised sport the PDC have introduced an anti doping policy, so players can be randomly tested at any event. Alcohol is not included.

You can download their policy here:
    http://www.planetdarts.tv/staticFiles/f0/10/0,,10180~4336,00.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

Beta Blockers might be used, they were used in snooker and olympic shooting until banned.

Advertisement