Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Bandwidth

• 03-02-2006 5:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

Okay been with utv just over a year now, stupidly i upgraded my connection with them in september 2005 so 'apparently' im under their newer contract and am stuck with the cancelation fee which im going to have to wait out until september unless i wanna pay €30 extra. :mad: But anyway, so i heard about all this new stuff that utv are doing and i see they've upgraded the package im on (UTV Clicksilver Plus) to 3mb from 2mb and the cap is now 20gb, now id like to know if they have to upgrade me to this automaticly or am i stuck with the current 2mb line and 16gb cap, because im not upgrading again to be stuck with them for another year. Another thing too, my downstream speeds have been very low in the last month or so, between 512kbps and 1088kbps most of the time along with a few disconnects here and there, but im on a 2mb line as ive already said and im wondering, because im nearly always at my cap limit or over it, if utv have limited my bandwidth and are they allowed to do that. I read on their site if you go for the unlimited broadband upgrade (€5 extra i might add) you get no cap but if your downloading alot during peak times (wtf are they btw?) you get your bandwidth reduced because "its in the interest of other customers." Now ive not upgraded my line, so would they still do it too me? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I am on clicksilver plus and was upgraded automatically from 2Mb to 3Mb when eircom (and their re-sellers) upgraded the lines.

If you have not seen any improvement then perhaps your line is not capable or there is some other fault.

Unless you have signed up for the unlimited package then I doubt they would be throttling your bandwith.

I am not sure about the cap increase, just because they are offering a higher cap for new subscribers doesn't necessarily mean that current ones will get it, the bandwith increase is down to eircom upgrading their packages a cap increase is at utv's discretion.

The lower price for the package available to new subscribers was not applied to current customers so the cap may not be.

Peak time is 6pm-11pm according to their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

The upgrades were automatic and the 3mb/20GB automatically replaces the 2mb/16GB package, don't know about any changes to contracts - but surely they have to inform the customers that there's a new contract - or a change in contract for a change in the package..........

The €39.99 price should come into effect for the package at the end of this month and I'm still waiting on UTV to get back to me with regards to this and the actual terms of the extra €5.99 apparent "unlimited" deal, the idea is to have heavy downloaders doing this overnight rather than at their peak times which may cause congestion on their system, if they dont' get back to me soon I might just leave and sign up with BT who appear to be cheaper and only have problems with billing......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Get BT screw UTV, i really hate them atm :mad:

Advertisement