Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

323f v6 or Celica GT

Options
  • 03-02-2006 6:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Im considering one of 2 cars shortly, not that your vote will help me decide, but am just curious as to which you would have assuming they are in similar condition and same colour (black)

which one would you have? 30 votes

1994 Toyota Celica 2.0 GT (round headlight model)
    0% 0 votes
    1995 Mazda 323f 2.0 V6 GLX
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

voted for the Celica but both nice cars

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Celica for me defo

A lot nicer looking IMO:D

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No matter what engine is under the bonnet of the 323, it'll look like a 1.5

not in the same league really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Celica for me too....still looks very modern for it's age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Celica all the way, but watch out , the GT is group 10, higher than the GT4 for some reason known only to insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Celica here too, dont really like the look of the mazda

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    No matter what engine is under the bonnet of the 323, it'll look like a 1.5

not in the same league really

Agreed. Go for the Avensis :D Best handling saloon in the world (not).

p.s. I voted Celica.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I think the only thing that 323 has going for it is the sound of that V6!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr Picky

have driven a 1.5 323f when they came out new in '95 & the Celica in both Gt and non-Gt form. Celica is in a different league really. That said, they're both jap-scrap :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

'Any car you like, as long as it's black!'

:rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Agreed. Go for the Avensis :D Best handling saloon in the world (not).

p.s. I voted Celica.

So true it cannot match the best handling, drab looking repmobile in its class - the Mondeo. :D:D I'm almost tempted to go out and trade my boring Avensis for a Mondeo. ;):):D

To the OP sorry for going off subject but the 323f and Celica are two totally different cars. Don't know if they ever even sold the 323f with the V6 lump in Ireland. Obviously the 323f would be slightly more practical as it is a 5dr hatchback but the Celica would be more enjoyable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:

So true it cannot match the best handling, drab looking repmobile in its class - the Mondeo. :D:D I'm almost tempted to go out and trade my boring Avensis for a Mondeo. ;):):D

Blast away :D

p.s. Avensis is no work of art either.

Blast away :D

p.s. Avensis is no work of art either.

I never once claimed it was. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

What has an Avensis got to do with this? :confused:

They did sell the 323f with a V6 in ireland. 150bhp 0-60 8.2 secs.

Theres so many versions of Celica it depends which one you mean. it might have 130bhp-175bhp depending if its a UK or Jap model.

What has an Avensis got to do with this? :confused:

They did sell the 323f with a V6 in ireland. 150bhp 0-60 8.2 secs.

Theres so many versions of Celica it depends which one you mean. it might have 130bhp-175bhp depending if its a UK or Jap model.

Agreed, this is going off topic, apologies to the OP.

I don't doubt you about the V6 323f, I just never seen one here or remember seen it on the price list. I'd say they are more common in the UK where they can be picked up very cheap these days. I've seen a couple of V6 MX-3s alright here.

There was also a Beams Yamaha version of the Celica which had something like 200bhp to 220bhp . All of these are Jap imports and are supposed to be the best of the Celica range.

I've seen a few Irish V6 323f's here over the years.

Re: The Group 10 comment. How is that relevent in Ireland? The insurance here don't have groups afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

aren't the Irish V6 323f all 1.8?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Voted Toyota, although I liked the looks of the Mazda at the time - still looking younger than its years
    They did sell the 323f with a V6 in ireland. 150bhp 0-60 8.2 secs

Not quite. Mazda 0-100km/h in 9.4s, Toyota in 8.1s (turbo 6.1s :cool:)

@OP, if you're interested in fast-ish old jap cars, did you consider the Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC?

colm_mcm wrote:
    aren't the Irish V6 323f all 1.8?

I thought they were. However some of them seem to be 2.0 which is the UK spec. The Mx3 V6 was a 1.8 though.
    unkel wrote:
    Voted Toyota, although I liked the looks of the Mazda at the time - still looking younger than its years ...Not quite. Mazda 0-100km/h in 9.4s, Toyota in 8.1s (turbo 6.1s :cool:)

Time of 8.2 is for the UK 2L V6. What models are those times from, because there a zillion different models and theres a big difference between them.

They did sell the 323f with a V6 in ireland. 150bhp 0-60 8.2 secs
    Time of 8.2 is for the UK 2L V6. What models are those times from, because there a zillion different models and theres a big difference between them

AFAIK there was only one 2l V6 sold in Ireland or the UK or anywhere else in Europe in '95. It's a 1995cc, 147bhp and the acceleration times are as I posted

• Advertisement

Parkers give 9.1 0-60. Seems slow. I got 8.2 from a fan site. Hard to find info about it though. Where did you get your info from?

Parkers give 9.1 0-60

And another 0.3s to reach 100km/h. Seems right. Let's all use metric now though :)
    I got 8.2 from a fan site

Hardly surprising. I once saw statistics on a BMW fanboy site that my BMW V8 did 0-400km/h in just under a second :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

the official o-60 for the 323 v6 is 8.6secs

Well at least we have your word that its correct then ;) Does no one have any decent links for specs in gear times of either car?

Must be a heavy car. I wouldn't have thought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

C_Breeze wrote:
    the official o-60

Eh, we don't do English miles no more these days. Surf the interweb again and I think you'll find the figures

unkel wrote:
    Eh, we don't do English miles no more these days. Surf the interweb again and I think you'll find the figures

Lazy posting. Post a link if you have it. :mad: I have EVO, Autocar and AutoExpress on my desk. 0-60 is used in all of them. A valid benchmark IMO. As is MPG. Wheel size is in inches etc. Whats a Ford GT40 then? a GT1.02? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Have to go with the Celica as I have one myself. Great fun to drive and has never had any problems in the 6 years I've had it. I'm going to change it this summer for the new T-Sport version. :D

viewimage.asp?id_=14966123

viewimage.asp?id_=14966124

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

hmm, i like melodic 2.0 V6 which could be swapped to 2.5 but have to say that Mazda dealer sucks big time in regards to parts supply and would go for Celica

• Advertisement

Lazy posting. Post a link if you have it. :mad:

Forgot about this thread. Yes, you're right, it was a lazy posting. My bad :o

The point I intended to make is that we should all move on now from the old British Imperial system to at least try and create a global standard - the metric system*

There is only 1 country in the 25 EU countries that still clings to that old British Imperial system. Unfortunately a lot of media consumed over here (articles on the web, magazines, tv-programmes, radio, etc.) are from that country, so that doesn't really help the transition especially for the Irish people that have been used to the British Imperial system since they were born and find it difficult to move on

There are a few glimmers of hope though:

1. In my experience most / all young people (<15 year olds or so) think metric

2. People in the building trade think metric

3. The government has been pro-active for a long time now. All things traffic are metric now (max. speeds, distances, price of fuel, etc.)

4. Even prominent UK motoring sites are now quoting 0-62mph figures, which of course do not represent 0-62mph but are translated from 0-100km/h

* It might be hard to get the Americans on board, though :rolleyes:

Advertisement