Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do BT still send filters/splitters?

• 03-02-2006 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I got BT within a couple of weeks of my exchange being enabled... nice and quick. I elected to not use their modem and is my own.. grand... AS soon as i got an email saying my order was complete (about 10 working days) i plugged in router and had broadband.. excellent...

Problem is i have no splitter/filter so i cant use the phone at the same time.
    Have not recieved one and they have not replied to the 3 or 4 emails i have sent. I never have time to call.. will have to try..

anyway does anyone know if they are still sending them out... i mean just because im not using their modem should not matter... I still paid for the installation fee and am supposed to get a pack with crap like internet security or some other rubbish i do not want but i do want the splitter (loads of filters though).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Ive just ordered BT & opted to use my own modem as I wanted to order that linksys wireless one everyones always saying is good. Never considered the filters. Like you Id presume they send them out. Did they send you a letter or something with all the settings?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Surely the best thing to do is ask them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

They only send them with the modems ..
    if you ring them they tell you to go buy a filter yourself as they dont have any.

Obviosuly they just purchase the crap modems from someone and send them from the supplier or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I needed a replacement once and they told me to buy a new one.

I then sent a nasty mail pointing that I was receiving a service from them and did not have fully working parts etc, etc.

They sent me a new splitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Saruman wrote:
    anyway does anyone know if they are still sending them out... i mean just because im not using their modem should not matter... I still paid for the installation fee and am supposed to get a pack with crap like internet security or some other rubbish i do not want but i do want the splitter (loads of filters though).
    I think the installation fee is to cover the charge by Eircom to enable DSL on your line. BT give the modems for free, or on loan off, their own back. You should have been given the Norton security pack though.

It's a good point though. If you buy a DSL router, I think they normally don't come with a splitter or filters. It should probably be up to the ISP to provide them as without them you can't use the phone.

From experience, I know the modem pack they supply contains the Zyxel router, one splitter and two filters plus the software. Perhaps you could ask for this pack now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

dub45 wrote:
    Surely the best thing to do is ask them?

Yes as per the thread... i sent about 4 emails all where ignored
    And calling them is very hard to do as they close by the time i get home.

Advertisement