Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Common Rail Diesel Reliability

Options
  • 03-02-2006 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭

Diesels have a reputation of reliability and durability since the time they were basically tractor engines bolted into cars, had big cast iron blocks and the only tools needed to fix them were a set of ring spanners.

Are the new ones as good? It seems to me an engine with an aluminium block, common rail or the VW version of, variable geometry turbo, ecu and dual mass flywheel, has a lot more to break and will cost a lot more to fix.

Any TDCi, HDi, D4D, TDI PD, etc drivers amoung us with high miles (e.g. at least 100k?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

turbos blow for sure, also a friend of mines ford focus 2002s common rail failed recently, bearings broke up on the crank at 90k miles.
    at the end of the day no one wants the underpowered stuff of years gone by. a new golf diesel costs around 30 grand give or take, and depreciates 6 grand in year one. the days of buying diesels because they saved money are over pretty much with the depreciation these days.
    a petrol corolla or golf at 20 grand probably makes more sense, but horses for courses..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

maidhc wrote:
    Diesels have a reputation of reliability and durability since the time they were basically tractor engines bolted into cars, had big cast iron blocks and the only tools needed to fix them were a set of ring spanners.

Are the new ones as good? It seems to me an engine with an aluminium block, common rail or the VW version of, variable geometry turbo, ecu and dual mass flywheel, has a lot more to break and will cost a lot more to fix.

Any TDCi, HDi, D4D, TDI PD, etc drivers amoung us with high miles (e.g. at least 100k?)

I've owned 2 x TDCI (same as HDI) but haven't done high mileage in either.

Reliabilty is 100%. Power (110bhp) is more than adequate in a Focus C-Max and torque (with transient overboost) is fantastic for in gear tractabilty and overtaking.

Refinement is very good, and economy is superb.

My experience of these engines has been excellent so far.

Advertisement