Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network setup PPPoE

Options
  • 03-02-2006 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Guys,

Hope this is the correct forum (maybe should be wireless one).

I recently got broadband in the house via aerial and the service provider gave me a PPPoE username / password. This works fine once I connect the network cable directly into my laptop.

My question is this:

I have configured a 3com access point to work as a dhcp server, I connect the network cable to the access point and then using the laptop wirlesss card I can connect to the broadband provider using PPPoE. This also works fine.

When I try to connect via wireless card with another laptop I receive a dhcp address, I can connect to the service provider but I receive the same IP setup as the other laptop from , thus I can't surf the web. It seems to be a case of first laptop connected to the service gets the internet access. If that laptop disconnects then the other has internet access immediately (as both laptops are connected via PPPoE to the broadband service).

Does anyone have any suggests how I can set this up so that both machines can receive access to the web at the same time. Is it possible with the access point or do I need to purchase something else.

Any help / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

You need a wireless router with PPPoE support. The router will negotiate the PPPoE connection, and get the ISP-assigned IP address on its WAN port. It will then share this out to any computers on its LAN ports - wired or wireless - using NAT.

Advertisement