Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Remove sms storage limit from Sony Ericsson handset

• 03-02-2006 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Ok. i havent tried this, I got it from another site but i'm posting it up in case anyone wants to give it a go themselves.

*** I will not accept responsibility if you try it and feck up yer phone ***

That note of warning aside, problems arent supposed to occur unless you have 1000+ messages stored. The more messages you store the slower opening times will get but for < 1000 msgs its not too bad (supposedly)

Here is the instructions, i couldnt attach the full pdf because its 364kb and the limit on pdf attachments is 100Kb. p.m. me if you want the full doc. (it just has the pics as well as instructions)

Remove SMS-storage limit from Sony-Ericsson’s!
    Owners of Sony-Ericsson cell phones have had to go through a lot of annoyance and irritation because of the low message storage limits on the phones. Even thought the phones have large storage space, and some even memory cards, there is a limit at approximately 100-200 messages. As we all know, SMS are plain text, and does typically not take up more than 300bytes (including headers).
    Thanks to Unlock.no’s forum member Spoochy, we now have a solution to
    “remove” this limit, making it possible to store huge amounts of messages.
    In theory, a K700i is able to store at least 40 000 messages, but our experiences is that you can not store more than approximately 1000 messages – which should be enough for most people. When the phone is filled up with more than 1000 messages it starts to get extremely slow when opening message boxes. When even more messages is stored, the phone starts crashing when working, and opening inbox is not possible because it crashes. Sometimes, some messages will also disappear
    after crashing! On K750, some of the messages got corrupt when storing more than 1000 messages.

We’ve not experienced any problems when storing less than 1000 messages, but it will of course take a little more time to open the message boxes. We would recommend to keep the storage below 500 messages.

Here are some loading times (K700i):
    Opening inbox with 1 message: 0,3 seconds
    Opening inbox with 200 messages: 0,7 seconds
    Opening inbox with 300 messages: 0,9 seconds
    Opening inbox with 500 messages: 1,6 seconds (K750i: 0,9s)
    Opening inbox with 1000 messages: 5,0 seconds (K750i: 2,2s)
    Opening inbox with 2000 messages: approx 4 minutes

Instructions
    You’ll need an advanced service tool for Sony-Ericsson (e.g. SEtool) to be able to
    modify the file system on your phone.
    Replace content in the following file from ”/smsdata” to ”/tpa”
    /ifs/settings/messaging/pref_store.txt
    Note: It’s not possible to overwrite - you must DELETE it before you upload the updated file.
    When done, create the following directories in the file system:
    /tpa/messaging
    /tpa/messaging/sms
    /tpa/messaging/sms/msg
    /tpa/messaging/sms/FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    /tpa/messaging/sms/FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF/pending
    /tpa/messaging/sms/FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF/sm
    /tpa/messaging/sms/FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF/sr
    /tpa/system/messaging/sms

Messages will now be stored in the sm directory you created in the tpa partition.
    This trick is tested on K500, K700, K750, Z520, but will most probably work on all ARM-based Sony-Ericsson phones. Our experience was that Z520 handled this modification best, as the PC-software had no problem reading SMS-status.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

(awaits eagerly for others to try)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

(wonders why people need to store 1000 messages, when they can just upload them to a PC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

chrislad wrote:
    (wonders why people need to store 1000 messages, when they can just upload them to a PC)
    Because I am just that popular... :p

Can you at least link to the .pdf?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

chrislad wrote:

i cant get fma to work for some reason? is it just me or do others find it a front bum to copy no. and texts (w800)

Advertisement