Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Recommendations?

Options
  • 03-02-2006 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭

With Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and Guitar Hero coming out in the next 2 months, I've decided to grab a PS2 (they're only 99 in Gamestop pre-owned now). The Katamari games look interesting, and I've heard great things about God of War....

What other games are worth getting?

(a) Preferably PS2 exclusives (not on any other format) and
    (b) I don't give a monkeys about Gran Turismos, Fifas, Pro Evos etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭migz4caz

Without Pro Evo and Gran Turismo you're not leaving many options

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Devil May Cry 3, Final Fantasy X

That's if you're in to that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

migz4caz wrote:
    Without Pro Evo and Gran Turismo you're not leaving many options
    :rolleyes:

Anyone else?

Have you played Res Evil 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Aye, it's not an exclusive but RE4 is a great action game. There's the various Prince of Persia games, Final Fantasy 10, and Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3. God of War is a good hack & slash type thing.

Yes definetley!!! I would recommend the Metal Gear Solid games. Pure brilliance!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gradius V is brilliant.

Zone of Enders 2 gets ignored but is one of the best PS2 games.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Zone of Enders 2 gets ignored but is one of the best PS2 games.

Get real! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

God of War is great, definately an esential.

The original Devil May Cry is still the best in series for me and available for next to nothing now. A word of warning though, Dante Must Die mode will cause you to weep with frustration.

Soul Calibur III is the best in the series so far and only €30 in Game at the moment.

Ace Combat 5 is pretty much as good as arcade style flight sims get.

Shin Megami Tensei : Noctune is a great RPG with a much darker tone than the usual drivel.

Disgaea is a cracking turn based strategy RPG - Nippon Ichi's best effort.

Project Zero 2 is probably my favourite survival horror, much scarier than any Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zone of Enders 2 was fecking brilliant and I will stand by that decision. The first game was a bit dull though. Much better than a dull Pokemon with cars *cough* Gran Turismo

Good call by Super Furry on Disgaea. I recommend you get all the Nippon Ichi games.

Can't believe I forgot about Transformers.

Bought the PS2 today (€99 for slimline preowned).
    Preordered Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
    Saw God of War in Gamestop for €20, so I'll pick that up over the weekend.

Is the cheapest memory card €30?
    Or are there 3rd party cards for half that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Cant reccomend god of war enough. What about the metal gear solid series also ?

Final Fantasy X is great too.

Tekken 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd bite the bullet and get the official memory card. I've had so much trouble with third party cards that I'll never buy one again. It's worth the extra €10 or so just to be sure you saves aren't going to disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

God of war is amazing, as is resident evil 4. call of duty big red one is a decent 1st person shooter if your into that sort of thing. the best racing game is burnout revenge, it kicks ass. the new prince of persia is quite buggy so id leave alone. gran turismo 4 is dull as dish water. area 51 looks great and plays well but isnt too long. Ratchet and clank games are good craic, not too taxing. the splinter cell games are way better than the metal gear cut scene games that only let you play for two seconds every 8 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ico
    Shadow of the colossus
    Frequency and amplitude
    Gitaroo man
    Metal gear solid 3
    Resident evil 4
    Viewtifull joe
    Onimusha
    God of war
    Jak and daxter
    Ratchet and clank
    Sly
    Kingdom hearts
    Katamari damacy
    Maximo
    Hot shots
    Eye toy

I got God of War (superb... really great game), and found Gitaroo Man 2nd hand (good so far - takes some time to get used to!).

Thanks for that list, Bush. I'll look them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*looks at PS2 collection*
    Well I'd recommend pretty much everything I have... that's Ico, Gradius V, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts and Soul Calibur 3.
    Not exclusive, but I'd also recommend Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2. Also Burnout 3: Takedown, but if you have an Xbox then you've probably played that already. If you like a good adventure game and you can get your hands on it, then get Beyond Good and Evil. It's fantastic.

Played and finished RE4, BG&E and the Viewtifuls on the gamecube. I don't have an XBox, so I'll check out Burnout 3.

Gradius V is going cheap-ish on eBay, so I might grab that during the week (I downloaded some gameplay movies of it last week from IGN and it looks fantastic).

Thanks Kirby!

• Advertisement

Gradius V is fan-friggin-tastic. I find it's a much better game than Ikaruga, much more fun and accessible. It's a crime not to own it.

Advertisement