Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler timer wiring problems

Options
  • 03-02-2006 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I've been having a bit of trouble with wiring up a digital timer for my Glowworm 30si gas boiler. No wiring for a thermostat so just have a controller under the boiler for use as a timer, though I'm thinking of getting a wireless thermostat and suitable controller.

This has been an old style manual timer until now but I have bought a Honeywell digital, and also ended up with a Siemens one aswell through a mix-up. I was tiling the utility room where the boiler and timer are so thought I'd replace the existing timer with a digital one.

I wired it up based on my best interpretation of the instructions and power is getting to the timer, but it seems no power is going from timer to boiler (I left the boiler end wired up as the electrician had wired it) so the digital timer never turns the boiler on. I've tried both the Siemens and Honeywell (can get model numbers if needed) but no luck, so I'm back to my old manual timer for the time being.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I've been having a bit of trouble with wiring up a digital timer for my Glowworm 30si gas boiler. No wiring for a thermostat so just have a controller under the boiler for use as a timer, though I'm thinking of getting a wireless thermostat and suitable controller.

This has been an old style manual timer until now but I have bought a Honeywell digital, and also ended up with a Siemens one aswell through a mix-up. I was tiling the utility room where the boiler and timer are so thought I'd replace the existing timer with a digital one.

I wired it up based on my best interpretation of the instructions and power is getting to the timer, but it seems no power is going from timer to boiler (I left the boiler end wired up as the electrician had wired it) so the digital timer never turns the boiler on. I've tried both the Siemens and Honeywell (can get model numbers if needed) but no luck, so I'm back to my old manual timer for the time being.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

You have probably left out the link between the live and the ?(not sure what you call it - it is probably the number 1 or 2 contact.)
    You have mains coming in to the clock. Because you can have the timer controling a low voltage appliance the live and the switch to the appliance are not linked. If the appliance is mains voltage, you have to put in a link wire.
    If the instructions say that the switch supplies voltage from terminal 2 to terminal 4, then you have to link the live to terminal 2. Then when it is switches on, the current will be supplied to terminal 4.
    I think that should be it.
    Jim.

Advertisement