Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl supplied wireless router question

• 03-02-2006 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi

Due to get NTL in later today. Just wondering what is the make and model of the wireless router they sometimes supply....( fingers crossed )

To anyone that has it, does it have 4 ethernet ports like most routers as well as the wifi?

i.e. I want to wire my desktop to it but will use wireless for the laptop...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Right... got ntl in but the pings seem a bit all over the place.

I had eircom in the last house and they were always very steady.
    On this NTL line they are constantly jumping between 15 and 50ms to various sites. Its happening in games too - constantly varying... ( downloads are fine.. just the pings )

is this normal for ntl...

Also a couple of the analogue tv stations are a bit fuzzy too ( digital tv seems fine )

Does this seem like a noisy cable?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Right... got ntl in but the pings seem a bit all over the place.

I had eircom in the last house and they were always very steady.
    On this NTL line they are constantly jumping between 15 and 50ms to various sites. Its happening in games too - constantly varying... ( downloads are fine.. just the pings )

is this normal for ntl...

No, I had the opposite experience, rock solid NTL now, unstable DSL in the past.
    Also a couple of the analogue tv stations are a bit fuzzy too ( digital tv seems fine )

Does this seem like a noisy cable?

That is certainly normal for NTL, your problems are probably with Discovery and E4, maybe even C4, this is because they are way down in the VHF spectrum, which is always troublesome, it has no bearing on your BB.

weird thing is those channels are fine?

Its tg4, bbc1,bbc2,utv and channel4 is ok ish
    tg4 is the worst - brutal,
    oh and sky news...

pings are all over the place here though! looks weird as my dsl was rock solid... might need to call em up monday...:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

weird thing is those channels are fine?

Its tg4, bbc1,bbc2,utv and channel4 is ok ish
    tg4 is the worst - brutal,
    oh and sky news...

pings are all over the place here though! looks weird as my dsl was rock solid... might need to call em up monday...:confused:

That looks fairly unusual, so it could be causing probels for your BB.

BTW you can find the frequencies used here:
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/frequency.html

Cheers for the info BK...

actually noticed last night one or 2 of the digital channels were breaking up last night and the programme guide wasnt finding the tv listings some times... dunno if thats common...

pings are still fluctuating... think its definitely a noisy line...

its in an old estate and the connections are the ones outside between each house... i wonder is this related? maybe its corroded

• Advertisement

There is a lot of information about cable BB here:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

Including how to check the quality of your line on your modem and what is normal.

deadly stuff BK

didnt know about that link... cheers...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

JB,

Not sure if you got the wireless stuff off NTL or not, but I got NTL last week and they gave me a Netgear wireless router and USB wireless key. I get mixed result with the wireless key, so I hooked into the router directly via Ethernet and get much more solid results now - almost up to 2Mbps.

Two laptops also work fine wirelessly, so my only conclusion is that while the USB adapter works fine, it's probably not suitable for gaming etc. where good ping rates are essential.

Overall I'm delighted with it, seems solid, no problems to report so far.

Nah, unfortunately they only gave me the 250 modem....

so im wired to it as is

Advertisement