Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

may need to eat meat again

• 03-02-2006 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

i have recently been told that i may have a condition called -Ankylosing Spondylitis (i have to wait for the results of blood tests & to see a rheumotoligst to confirm it)

AS is a condition where the bones in your back fuse together,
    there is no cure for this condition, and it can be quite painful, it can also lead to severe disability in later life, some people having to give up work in there early 40's, something that i will not be able to do unless i win tonights lotto.

i have been doing some research into the condition, and found the following on http://www.kickas.org/index.html

REDUCE THE FOLLOWING

Bread and flour products:
    Bread (white, brown, wholemeal, etc.) in very limited amounts.
    Crispbreads, biscuits, cream crakers, twiglets.
    Cakes, puddings and pies.
    Pastas, spaghetti, noodles, macaronis, pizzas, chappati, pitta bread, popcorn.

Rice
    Brown, white, boiled, fried or in puddings.
    Potatoes
    Chips, baked, boiled, roasted or mashed potatoes, and potato crisps to be avoided.

INCREASE THE FOLLOWING: EAT PLENTY OF PROTEINS, VEGEATABLES, AND FRUITS:

Meat :(
    Beef, pork, lamb, sausages, bacon, salami, pate, corned beef, potted meats, ham and veal. Venison. Chicken, turkey, duck or any other poultry meats.
    Fish:(
    White fish: Cod, haddock, plaice, dover sole.
    Herring, salmon, mackerel, tuna, sardines fresh or tinned in oil, brine, or tomato.
    Shellfish: Crab, lobster, prawns, scampi, cockles mussels, oysters.
    Milk and Milk Products
    Eggs
    Prepared in any manner. :D
    Vegetables
    All green vegetables, cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts, courgettes, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli or carrots. :D
    Fruits :D

Personally, i would imagine that fish oil would be very benificial to me, but i havn't eaten meat or fish in ten years, the odd time i did "by accident" it made me gag. I might start eating Quorn or some other meat substitute, to try & train myself into eating meat, but i really don't know what to think about it.

any opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

i have recently been told that i may have a condition called - (i have to wait for the results of blood tests & to see a rheumotoligst to confirm it)

AS is a condition where the bones in your back fuse together,
    there is no cure for this condition, and it can be quite painful, it can also lead to severe disability in later life, some people having to give up work in there early 40's, something that i will not be able to do unless i win tonights lotto.

i have been doing some research into the condition, and found the following on http://www.kickas.org/index.html

REDUCE THE FOLLOWING

Bread and flour products:
    Bread (white, brown, wholemeal, etc.) in very limited amounts.
    Crispbreads, biscuits, cream crakers, twiglets.
    Cakes, puddings and pies.
    Pastas, spaghetti, noodles, macaronis, pizzas, chappati, pitta bread, popcorn.

Rice
    Brown, white, boiled, fried or in puddings.
    Potatoes
    Chips, baked, boiled, roasted or mashed potatoes, and potato crisps to be avoided.

INCREASE THE FOLLOWING: EAT PLENTY OF PROTEINS, VEGEATABLES, AND FRUITS:

Meat :(
    Beef, pork, lamb, sausages, bacon, salami, pate, corned beef, potted meats, ham and veal. Venison. Chicken, turkey, duck or any other poultry meats.
    Fish:(
    White fish: Cod, haddock, plaice, dover sole.
    Herring, salmon, mackerel, tuna, sardines fresh or tinned in oil, brine, or tomato.
    Shellfish: Crab, lobster, prawns, scampi, cockles mussels, oysters.
    Milk and Milk Products
    Eggs
    Prepared in any manner. :D
    Vegetables
    All green vegetables, cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts, courgettes, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli or carrots. :D
    Fruits :D

Personally, i would imagine that fish oil would be very benificial to me, but i havn't eaten meat or fish in ten years, the odd time i did "by accident" it made me gag. I might start eating Quorn or some other meat substitute, to try & train myself into eating meat, but i really don't know what to think about it.

any opinions.

Discuss it with a professional. I'm sure there are alternatives for people who genuinely can't eat meat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

You really have to discuss this with a professional. Get your GP to refer you to a nutritionist. IMO, if it's for the sake of your health, you have to do it. You can't just eat eggs all the time. A healthy person can have a maximum of one egg a day every day, or a three egg omelette and no eggs for 4 or 5 days- but get your cholesterol levels checked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If the meat and fish is just for protein, nearly everybody eats too much, eat a lovely irish breakfast-that's 2000% RDA for protein and cholesterol at least., you won't need meat at all if it is for that alone.
    Avoiding potatoes must really suck. :/
    The only things I eat in your decrease list are potatoes, bread and sometimes popcorn.
    Do you need any oils in particular, for what reasons would you need them and I can probably help you out-also ask in evergreen stores and the like for advice.
    You should find other vegetarians with the condition and contact a nutritionist as said above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

cheers for the replies.
    i've only found out that i prob have this "condition" and i still have to find out about it fully (how bad i have it, if i have it, if it will progress & so on)

My next step is going to see a Rheumatoligist, but just with the little resesach i've done i came up with the above results.

it would be hard for me to go back to eating meat (& if i did i think i would be a real meat snob - prime organic cuts & so on) but it would make me feel uneasy.

would meat no longer be murder?

Look- the Inuit people get all their vitamins and minerals from blubber, as they don't get fresh veg in the Arctic. Are they murdering? Or doing what they need to survive? If eating meat suddenly became illegal, that whole race and culture would die out overnight. People do what they need to survive. If you need to eat meat to survive, they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Shabadu wrote:
    Look- the Inuit people get all their vitamins and minerals from blubber, as they don't get fresh veg in the Antartic.
    That's different, they have no alternatives. Although that was in fact decasdes ago, they would no longer die out, they have towns and buy groceries etc, the older ways are just talked about these days...There are alternatives to everything now, health stores cater to everthing I have ever wanted. I'm sure thhey will have stuff for you 3greenrizla's and there are still hundreds of 'mystery jars' of stuff to me so I gotta do some more testing... Wonder what they do...I admit, at the beginning it was quite hard to find places that had what I needed but Ireland has become a lot better since then.

Are they murdering? Or doing what they need to survive?
    Well murdering is sometimes necessary to survive, that doesn't change what it is.
    I'm the kind of guy that if I needed to eat meat again, no other choice, I would go out and kill the animal myself, look him/her in the eyes as I do it and hear the last sounds the animal makes, I feel I would owe the animal that much. SAme if I decided to kill a person obviously. I would still call myself a murderer though. So in answer to your question 3greenrizla's, only you can be the one to answer it, for yourself.
    Would some people consider it murder, yes, would some not, yes. Same as with the killing of animals in general. It only matters what you consider yourself to be. If somebody needed to kill to survive, it's their life they want to protect, and as long as the animal has a fair chance to survive, I have no problem with it.
    If eating meat suddenly became illegal, that whole race and culture would die out overnight. People do what they need to survive. If you need to eat meat to survive, they do it.
    Maybe they would have in their grandparents times, but today, they may still treasure some of the old traditions but they do not have to live like they used to. Their culture, as it was, is nearly dead, due to the western world. Their supplies are dying out due to global warming and themselves, they have to change anyway. Their culture of hunting and killing is coming to an end because it is not sustainable. The west have now built schools and towns for them, otherwise they would die out.

hey seems you should be fine 3greenrizla's,
    Vegan diet & Ankylosing Spondylitis

A vegan diet excludes all meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy food and includes lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, wholegrains, pulses, seeds and nuts. There has been an interesting study with arthritis sufferers involving a one week fast followed by three weeks of a vegan dietary regime. At the end of the period, it was found that 60% of the participants felt better with "less pain and increased functional ability."

google for particular things, seems it should be ok, looks that way to me.

Tar, they still can't get supplies for 6 mths of the year. Also, just realised I said Antartica instead of the Arctic in my post. Woopsie!

Huh, why? They are a good tourist spot I hear, a lot of their ecconomy is based on that these days.
    also, would they not stock up if they can't get supplies?
    It's not like they still live like they used to.
    They live in wooded homes, They wear modern clothing instead of animal skins. Most Inuit speak English, Russian, or Danish. The kayak has given way to motor boats, the snowmobile has replaced the dog team. Today's Inuit compete in the modern economic world instead of the world of nature. While some Inuit have adjusted to the new way of life, unemployment, suicide and addiction are major problems. On top of all that, industrial and nuclear pollution are poisoning their traditional homelands and food sources. I think they had better start getting used to storing the food if they don't. :)
    I have always respected people like them.
    They treat human beings, the land, animals and plants with equal respect! Even today, they continue to try to maintain this harmonious relationship. They try to use the resources of land and sea wisely to preserve them for future generations. Strict hunting traditions and rules help maintain this balance and a lot of inuit forbid the killing of any animal in its mating season.

Sorry, where's your point? Or are you just trying to patronise me?

heh, lol I just blathered on I guess, my question was 'huh, why?' and why can't they stock up on supplies, then i just went on talking crap.

• Advertisement

nothing like "meat is murder" to get a debate going:D
    cheers lad's it's the more emotional response i was looking for.

i had just found out about the "condition" & had loads of questions going around my head.

I know that there are alternatives out there (tar evergreen, i know what you mean about evergreen, i never know where to start looking when i go in there)

but... (there's always a but) there are some vitimans that you get from meat that you dont get anywhere else in nature, i'm not saying that there are not substitutes, but not the "real thing"
    I'm the kind of guy that if I needed to eat meat again, no other choice, I would go out and kill the animal myself, look him/her in the eyes as I do it and hear the last sounds the animal makes, I feel I would owe the animal that much.

couldn't have put it better myself:D

My mother has a related condition and I was just wondering how you were diagnosed, are you symptomatic or have they devolped a gentic test?
    Udo's choice is just as good as fish oil, my mother doesn't find it useful but alot of people recommend glucosamine.It might require more thought to make sure you are getting your not missing out on any vit's but Ireckon you can do just fine on a veggie diet.

hi moonbaby,

sorry to hear about your mam! this is a very good AS website http://www.nass.co.uk/

i was diagnosed through a mri scan & x-rays that showed the fusing of the bones in my spine, also most people with AS test posivitive for the HLA-B27 gene (a simple blood test), but just because you are hla positive it dose not mean you have AS.

Oh they can the test for that marker now?
    Cool I must get that done, If I didn't have it I might have a bit of peace of mind.No need to be sorry! My mum has had this for over 20 years so it is my normal.

Advertisement