Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from BT to Smart

• 03-02-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

First off, sorry for asking this question. I know it's been asked and answered countless times. However, I have done a quick search and couldn't find it.

My mother is with BT for phone and broadband. It's not worth the hassle dealing with their billing and customer care departments. She's been arguing with them for a year and a half over over charging. They say she now owes €700. Anyway, we all know what they're like so I won't go into it.

She wants to cancel BT and move to Smart phone and broadband. She doesn't mind downtime and doesn't mind a phone number change.

Am I right in thinking that because of this, the setup will run smooth and quick [month or less]?

More importantly, does she need to move back to Eircom for any reason or any length of time?

Are there quicker ways of changing over. Again, she doesn't mind the downtime but would rather it as quick as possible.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

she needs to quit the BB and remove it off her line before eircom will port her , is she on line rental with BT as well ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yeah, she's not going to approach smart until her BT broadband is cancelled. She is currently working on that. Best case, it will be cancelled next week. Worst case, depends on who can shout the loudest.

So, to put my question another way. If there is NO broadband on the line and only a phone service from BT. What is the quickest way of going to Smart [and how long will it take, roughly], if she doesn't mind losing her phone number.

What is the process she needs to take. She gets flustered with too much information so it would be ideal if she just has to approach Smart and say "Gimme".

Her exchange is Smart enabled.

IrishTLR wrote:
    So, to put my question another way. If there is NO broadband on the line and only a phone service from BT. What is the quickest way of going to Smart [and how long will it take, roughly], if she doesn't mind losing her phone number.

1, cancel BB (does she have line rental with BT I asked )
    2. Cancel calls, (CPS as its known) she may have to send back modem to BT if she does not own it .....she may dependiong on package or duration of contract but she should check.
    3. Then order off smart soon as the synch light disappears on modem .
    4. Process 2-3 weeks she is back with eircom after steps 1 and 2
    5. outage during physical cutover very short , she will have recieved an adsl router from smart before the outage , lug it in .
    6. she knows she is finally 'with' smart when the synch light comes on on that new router

Cool. cheers SB.

Yes she is with BT for Line Rental, if you can call it that. She get's free line rental.

So she does still have to go back to Eircom for phone line. She mightn't like that but it won't put her off.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Small matter but very important.

She must fill in details on Smarts application form EXACTLY as either eircom or BT have her details, including spelling mistakes, surname first, address irregularities if any.

Eircoms account details of myself were all over the place:

Surname spelt wrong, address in the form of "street name, apt number, potscode (wrong one), district"

I can't say enough that if she puts down her name and address on smarts 'changeover request form' as she normally would and it doesn't match with eircom or BTs database she will find her order held up for ages.

HTH

• Advertisement

she sounds like Ma Sponge then except that Ma has been correctly billed by BT (sez he touching a forest with his fist )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ah-well...

Not exactly accurate. The most importand detail to submit is the universal account number. This is the most accurate and up to date record/status of the account. When you move your line rental to any provider, you are issued with a new universal account number, you need to give the most recent to your new provider.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I went through this process with UTV and I would not wish my journey on my worst enemy - EsatBT may not release the line if she 'owes' money - have you considered that part?

Anyways Step 1 was to give UTV a month's notice to cancell the BB.

Step 2 was to bring my phone calls and line back to Eircom - as apparently Smart need an Eircom account number for Eircom to act on the transfer.

I had terrible trouble getting the dsl off the line - UTV delayed the cancellation and that added great complexity to the move.

so keep after BT to make sure the DSl vanishes off the line Eircom wont touch it while there is a dsl signal on the line

and you will need a cancellation reference and a eircom account number for smart to be able to move

and the bad news I was down for ages waiting for it all to happen it finally took an email to Phil Nolan to get the dsl removed!!!!

Cheers dubs,

One can always hope for a smooth transition but I just know that it's not going to be. EsatBT saying that Ma Irish owes them money is the reason she is leaving them. They have never given her a correct bill in a year and a half.

Advertisement