Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OEM office

• 03-02-2006 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Can I buy MS Office OEM legally with any piece of hardware, or do I need to buy a PC to qualify?

A friend recently bought a dell not realising they needed office. I was surprised at the price of office, but oem price is reasonable. Would dell sell us the oem now? It has to be office - lotus, star office, etc. are not an option. Any ideas for getting office cheaply but legally for a business (1 seat license) are appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget the OEM license would be bound to whatever HW you buy.

You could also get a copy of Works and upgrade it to Office, then you can move it to another PC later on. OEM lives and dies with a machine it was supplied with

non-OEM www.micromail.ie www.softsell.ie - must do up a sticky with sw suppliers some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

squibs wrote:
    Would dell sell us the oem now?
    Nopes, just the full version, for all it's hundreds. As a matter of interest, what's wrong with the likes of OpenOffice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

You could try and get a copy of the Student/Teacher edition of Office 2003 standard. PC World sell it for about 120Eur (it was 170). It is not as cheap as the OEM edition, but it is still a hell of a lot cheaper then the full version. And you can legaly install it on 3 PCs to.

Of course, OpenOffice 2 is going to be a better option as it fully supports and impliaments OpenDocument, the OASIS document standard that the EU is supporting.

You could try and get a copy of the Student/Teacher edition of Office 2003 standard. PC World sell it for about 120Eur (it was 170). It is not as cheap as the OEM edition, but it is still a hell of a lot cheaper then the full version. And you can legaly install it on 3 PCs to.

Of course, OpenOffice 2 is going to be a better option as it fully supports and impliaments OpenDocument, the OASIS document standard that the EU is supporting.
    Exactly, OO does 98% of what M$ Office can do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks lads. She ended up giving the dell sales people an earful of abuse and they proposed the student/teacher version :p
    I'm amazed they would sell it to her, I don't think she qualifies to buy a license for it. Wonder if she'll have any problems activating it.

• Advertisement

squibs wrote:
    Thanks lads. She ended up giving the dell sales people an earful of abuse and they proposed the student/teacher version :p
    I'm amazed they would sell it to her, I don't think she qualifies to buy a license for it. Wonder if she'll have any problems activating it.
    Tell her to be nice to us :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

squibs wrote:
    This is a very grey area, if only because of the radio ads microsoft did last year. Those ads did not state that the product was not for business use or that it only lasted the duration of the full time schooling in a recognised institiute.

Technically you should read the EULA before installing and confirm that you meet all the conditions. Or check with the BSA. If you have a problem with activation or License or BSA then back to the Dell sales person, for selling something that wasn't fit for purpose perhaps ?

OpenOffice just doesn't have the hassle and you won't be fined €127,000 for using a legit copy of it.

This is a very grey area, if only because of the radio ads microsoft did last year. Those ads did not state that the product was not for business use or that it only lasted the duration of the full time schooling in a recognised institiute.

Technically you should read the EULA before installing and confirm that you meet all the conditions. Or check with the BSA. If you have a problem with activation or License or BSA then back to the Dell sales person, for selling something that wasn't fit for purpose perhaps ? (Pity you can't get 10% for ratting out the supplier :( )

OpenOffice just doesn't have the hassle and you won't be fined €127,000 for using a legit copy of it.
    Think it's really a good faith thing. I remember a year or so back shops were asking for student ID. Very hard for Dell to do.

WexCan wrote:
    Think it's really a good faith thing. I remember a year or so back shops were asking for student ID. Very hard for Dell to do.
    I think it's really an entrapment thing. Wait until enough people are hooked and then release the BSA. My opinion but it's not like they haven't had big licensing campaigns after extended periods of negligable licence enforcement, cf. China and alledged comment by Bill? that if they were going to copy* software he'd rather they copied microsofts.

*piracy is an international crime, it's what happens in places like the coast of Indonesia, people get killed.

I think it's really an entrapment thing. Wait until enough people are hooked and then release the BSA. My opinion but it's not like they haven't had big licensing campaigns after extended periods of negligable licence enforcement, cf. China and alledged comment by Bill? that if they were going to copy* software he'd rather they copied microsofts.

*piracy is an international crime, it's what happens in places like the coast of Indonesia, people get killed.
    If only the the world would switch to open source. Life would be so much easier. Software licensing makes my brain hurt :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

WexCan wrote:
    If only the the world would switch to open source. Life would be so much easier. Software licensing makes my brain hurt :)
    Yeah, because Open Source licenses are far more understandable...

Yeah, because Open Source licenses are far more understandable...
    Well, to put it simply, there are a lot fewer rules, and they can be summed up quite easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

As far as I know the S&T edition of MS office can be activited by any student or teacher as long as they are enrolled in a learning institute recognised by the governing body of that country. So if she has a kid that is in primary school, registers the product in their name and says that they use it then there should be no problem. Now thats my take on it, but I didn't read the EULA so there could be some clause against this.

Timeout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

IIRC the Academic licence which only applies to Students and Teachers for non-commercial use. Once you obtain a legit S/T version of office, the licence is perpetual even after you are no longer a student, and it can be transfered to other PCs as long as it is never installed and activated on more then 3. I still have a legit copy of Frontpage 2000.

I use OpenOffice2 as it is free and it does the job. It also includes Draw and Base, a program for designing flowcharts and the like and a database application that is compatable with Access. To get Access with Office (you can always buy it seperatly) you need the Professional Edition. To get anything like Draw you need Visio which is a seperate program. This is why you should install OO along with Office, you get these two other programs, and OO supports OpenDoc as I said before.

Advertisement