Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Eircom's speeds?

• 03-02-2006 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,263 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 512/128 uncontended uncapped Business IP line, and for about a week - but not directly after the upgrade happened - I've been getting at best 25K at offpeak times and dual ISDN speeds at peak - although sometimes lower even at off peak times. I know someone else with consumer DSL off the same exchange - Maynooth (01-601) - who's been having the same problems since the 27th.

Are they just out of backhaul bandwidth due to the upgrade? And shouldn't they be ensuring that uncontended uncapped lines get full speed all the damn time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

tbh...
    I have the very basic package the 2048/256 line.
    It has a contention of 24/1 or something.
    In reality that makes feck all difference.
    I *always* get full speeds, both u pand down. *always*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,263 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, I know people who - before a week ago - were on the base pack and got full speeds all the time, with a number of ISPs

Now the ones on BT and Digiweb still do, but those on Eircom don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

MYOB wrote:
    Yeah, I know people who - before a week ago - were on the base pack and got full speeds all the time, with a number of ISPs

Now the ones on BT and Digiweb still do, but those on Eircom don't.

What? BT and Digiweb are bitstream reseller's for Eircom. No difference, just a different name. They cannot be much of a difference in speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Don't know about Digiweb, but BT doesn't use much eircom backhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What? BT and Digiweb are bitstream reseller's for Eircom. No difference, just a different name. They cannot be much of a difference in speeds.

Yes there can. The companies have to use their own backhaul to get from the exchange to the internet.

Obviously eircom's network is totally clogged and they can't hold all the traffic that their line speed upgrades have brought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm on 3 meg package, speed usually holds at 330kB/s for 2 seconds and then drops to 250kB/s and stays there. :/

Upload is good and my pings are stable.

Yes there can. The companies have to use their own backhaul to get from the exchange to the internet.

Obviously eircom's network is totally clogged and they can't hold all the traffic that their line speed upgrades have brought.

Don't know, I had some problems along with everyone else a week or two ago but it's been back to it's good ol' rock solid self since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I'm on a 2mb/128k eircom package. At least I think it's 128k.

Anyway have Eircom upgraded lines recently? I just started a torrent and i'm getting 312kb/s solid, whereas before it'd stay around 190 absolute max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Enlil_Nick wrote:

Anyway have Eircom upgraded lines recently? I just started a torrent and i'm getting 312kb/s solid, whereas before it'd stay around 190 absolute max.

Where did you get the torrent that maxes out your connection? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

My eircom broadband has been useless for over a week at this stage. My dial up connection continues to function normally. I notice from the traffic monitor on my firewall that my broadband connection's 'current rate of transfer' is puny compared to dial-up - i.e. when my dial up is on I get speeds of up to a few hundred KB per minute, where when my broadband is on its only of the order of 1 or 2 KB per minute - it simply won't load any page. Tech support helpline simply went through the usual 'must be something wrong with your PC, cause there's no problem at our end' routine.

Finally I got this message from eircom, which at least acknowledges a problem. Unfortunately, despite following their steps to revert to the old server there’s still no improvement and only my old dial up is functional.
    eircom net Broadband Support <broadband.support@eircom.net> wrote:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting eircom net Broadband technical support with
    your email dated 1/28/06.

There have been problems with our new DNS servers that may explain the
    problems you have been experiencing. We have technicians investigating
    this issue but we do not have a timeframe for a resolution. To fix
    this, please follow the steps below :

Open http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ in a web-browser
    Click on Expert Mode
    Click on Configure
    Click on Connection
    Enter our old DNS numbers(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
    Click on Save and restart

This should improve the your broadband.

Apologies for the inconvenience,

eircom net
    Broadband Support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

yup remove the 192.168.1.254 IP address.
    You dont want that getting into the wrong hands...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

FuzzyLogic wrote:

lol what good will that do? It's a local IP...

I presume you were being sarcy. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,263 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As others have said, they resell the line from house to exchange. After that it goes onto their own gear.

Its not my DNS being screwy, as my DNS is handled waaay down the line on the VPN - the VPN is also not at fault in this case.

I'm getting close to full speed on upload, oddly enough...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054883632

ive been having lots of problems too for the past 2 weeks however today i was comparing my modems stats to my friends and mine says that im on fastpath and my friends is on interleved, that could be a problem so im gonna ring eircom once again on monday.

MYOB wrote:
    As others have said, they resell the line from house to exchange. After that it goes onto their own gear.

No, that's not how bitstream reselling works. Eircom delivers the bits to a regional POP. If the ISP has connectivity there, they can take the traffic at that point. If they don't, they have to pay eircom for transit. I would imagine BT has their own connectivity everywhere which is why they're so cheap. The rest probably buy transit from the ESB.

So if there's a problem in the exchange or on the path to the regional POP, all non-LLU users see the problem. Most of the recent eircom problems were eircom specific at their international transit point(s).

Those of you with problems, what speed is your modem synching with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

FuzzyLogic wrote:

...and the old DNS that are (if I remember right) :Preferred: 159.134.237.6 , Alternate: 159.134.248.17, oh cant ever give those out eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Enlil_Nick wrote:

yes they have.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php

CyberGhost wrote:
    Where did you get the torrent that maxes out your connection? :/

private torrent sites and legal software distribution sites being 2 where you get them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

I didn't get anything in the upgrade - yet anyway. However, I always get roughly 80% of my rated linespeed. Always. I'm on Esat BT.

Advertisement