Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deal or no deal

• 03-02-2006 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been discussed before - I went back about a month in postings and saw no threads.

Is anyone else watching this show? I'm sky plussing it from More4 every evening. Not a big gameshow fan, but this is very good stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Heh, it's enjoyable enough towards the end when the people **** themselves over. :)
    Watched it a few times over christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Love this show. Just getting ready for a fix now! Novelty of it still hasn't worn off, either. Some Irish production company should get Endemol involved in a version for here - would make a prime-time substitute for the embarrassing likes of Fame and Fortune and Winning Streak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Good to see Noel back on the screens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Noel Edmunds most powerful show yet.
    look for the mobile phone on his back pocket ASWELL as his mic hookup.
    working the banker, double crosses & suspensful case opening. this show has it all! oh yes.
    edmunds, your a diamond. Woof!

or as a conversation me and my mate had:

Me - "See noel edmunds is back on the telly?"
    Mate - "No"
    Me - "Yeah, its a daytime quiz show called Deal or No Deal"
    Mate - "No Deal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's going primetime on C4 soon also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

BuffyBot wrote:
    It's going primetime on C4 soon also

Yeah, read about that.
    I hope they upgrade the intro, it's early 90's cheapsville, I wonder if Noel had a hand in that too :D
    I wonder if they'll upgrade the amounts for prime time, a la The Weakest Link when that got a studio audience and had the old winners back on for prime time specials.

It's a great show, even though it's 99% luck, it's great to see people get screwed over and do well, so it's usually entertaining (especially when there's nothing else on)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Toasty

I love it!!
    nail biting stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah its awesome. Oh how I laughed when that poor bastard went away with a penny :)

I wonder if they'll upgrade the amounts for prime time

I would imagine they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

doh.ie wrote:
    Love this show. Just getting ready for a fix now! Novelty of it still hasn't worn off, either. Some Irish production company should get Endemol involved in a version for here - would make a prime-time substitute for the embarrassing likes of Fame and Fortune and Winning Streak.

There is nobody here that would be capable of presenting it, Could you imagine a skanger contestant "No 15 Derek pleaseee"', a nightmare prospect. The success is due to Noel Edmunds presenting style

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I don't get this show at all...

Can someone explain how it works?

The success is due to Noel Edmunds presenting style

Ermm possibly not, unless Noel can change his appearance, master a lot of languages and manage to present the show in the multitude of other countries it is broadcast in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

steveland? wrote:
    I don't get this show at all...

Can someone explain how it works?

Yeah I was about to post that myself. Admittedly I've only watched the odd few mins of one ep but it seems like they're just playing a very drawn out version of "do you want whats in this mystery-box or whats in that mystery-box?" :confused:

Whats the hook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The French equivalent is on Mon to Fri at 7:05 pm. So far they have away €20,000,000. The show has a major following over here.

Pigman II wrote:
    Yeah I was about to post that myself. Admittedly I've only watched the odd few mins of one ep but it seems like they're just playing a very drawn out version of "do you want whats in this mystery-box or whats in that mystery-box?" :confused:

Whats the hook?
    right before the show everyone picks a box at random not knowing what amount is in the box then at the start of the show a person is picked at random out of the 25 ppl and then the game begins.
    The Game:
    right the person that was picked at random is now in the hot seat and picks 5 boxes at random and whatever amounts the person has picked are eliminated from the board which means these amounts are not in the hot seat person's box then the banker rings and offers an amount of money for the box as no-one knows what is in the box. the person in the hot seat can either accept or reject the banker's offer.
    This keeps goin through the whole game until the person in the hot seat accepts the bankers offer!!
    Do ya get it now??!:)

Toasty wrote:
    Do ya get it now??!:)

Nope.

So, Is there any actual intelligence or skill involved in this game or is everything just totally random (from who actually gets to play to the choices they make)?

Sounds more like Winning streak by the minute

Nope everything is random
    dont dis winning streak!! It's class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Don't think much of this at all. Watch it towards the end but couldn't sit through the whole thing. I think watching it everyday would be quite boring. It's cool though that Noel Edmunds is back on TV.

Toasty wrote:
    dont dis winning streak!! It's class

This conversation is terminated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

One of the most tidious, mind-numbingly dull, pointless shows I have ever seen.

I mean my god. There's not a single question to be answered bar "what box do you want to open"... why the **** would I watch that for fourty minutes?

Real barrel-scraping stuff this. I'm shocked and appalled that anyone would choose to watch it.

• Advertisement

So, Is there any actual intelligence or skill involved in this game

While random chance seems to make up a lot of the result, knowing when to risk going on or accepting offers etc is another aspect..

Pigman II wrote:
    This conversation is terminated :)

ha ha ur funny!!
    ya cant say dat if u got on dat show u wudn't love.
    yeah ya wud love it coz u sit there and do nothing and get at least €10000

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

BuffyBot wrote:
    Ermm possibly not, unless Noel can change his appearance, master a lot of languages and manage to present the show in the multitude of other countries it is broadcast in!

To rephrase, the success of Deal or no Deal on Channel 4 is due to Noel Edmonds and his presentation style. I don't know about other countries but an irish version doesn't quite have the same appeal. We all remember the disasters that were the irish versions of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and The Weakest Link. We don't have to ape everything thats across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

The Australian version was much better imo. When the people standing around oopen their case they get to guess how much is inside and if they guess rite they get a grand. Which can be a nice ouch for them too

Hagar wrote:
    The French equivalent is on Mon to Fri at 7:05 pm. So far they have away €20,000,000. The show has a major following over here.

Cool - which channel is it on? Must swing the ol' satellite and have a look.

It's on TF1 right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Toasty wrote:
    Do ya get it now??!
    Not in the least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Pigman II wrote:

So, Is there any actual intelligence or skill involved in this game or is everything just totally random (from who actually gets to play to the choices they make)?

Very much so....the banker is more of a bookie really, offering you slightly less for your box at each alloted time in the show as what the total average sums of what has to be in the remaining boxes...the higher the average sum then the more he's willing to offer...
    The trick is when knowing to cut your losses...if say, the two highest possible amounts are leftin play with only 5 boxes left to elliminate then the banker wants to buy you out like mad to avoid the 2/5 chance that you can pick up a major cash prize...conversely if you've only a load of low figure sums in the boxes with 10 boxes left then he's laughing and offering you a paltry sum.

Comparisons with Winning Sh*te aren't fair since it's not fixed (as far as I can tell) and the set is not nearly as tacky.

I still can't sit through this show since it's the same every day save the random order the money amounts in the boxes turn up; the basic maths never changes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Saw an episode of this over Christmas...found it unbelievably boring, can't believe the hype it's getting. :confused: Noel Edmonds gives me the creeps as well.

As for Winning Streak being praised above...WTF?!?!? :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Poor guy tonight on TF1 took an offer of €60,000 with only 4 boxes left.
    They continued on to find his box contained €660,000. Talk about being sick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

A bird in the hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I've a love hate feeling towards the show, i'd watch it most evenings (mainly as there is nothing else decent on until a good oul simpsons classic on RTE2 or C4 at 6).

I like the format and the prize money is hefty enough for an afternoon show but what really chaffs my chops is the contestents, they way they bark on about how they "feel" towards a particular box....how such and such has been lucky and antoher is lucky if they have a red jumper on inside out! The game is based on luck and odds, they way you feel isnt important but the way they and Noel dramatises the show makes me switch over sometimes until near the end when choices have to be made.

I do like Noel but he is too transparent in the way he stretches out a show that is moving too fast or winds down the momentum of a slow moving with mindless banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

i watch this show sometimes and sure you anlways know that they will never get the highest its all a set up imo...its just a load of bull crap

I like the format and the prize money is hefty enough for an afternoon show but what really chaffs my chops is the contestents, they way they bark on about how they "feel" towards a particular box....

One of the reasons I tune in is definitely in the hopes some day someone will win 'big' (and I mean more than £20,000 which is the highest I've seen yet), but truth is, if it's a choice between 1p and £250,000, the contestant is surely always going to choose the banker's deal...

Unless someone comes along who is a right hardcore gambler or has no cop-on, they're never going to play them game to its fullest conclusion. (That said, it it's a choice between the top 3 prizes, someone might risk it, but it'd need to be at least the top 3 left to even consider the risk a worthwhile on.) I think that's the way C4 and Endemol have ensured they'll rarely/if ever pay out big sums. Of course, with prime time editions on the way soon, it's possible we might see a big winner there, for publicity's sake if nothing else.

doh.ie wrote:
    One of the reasons I tune in is definitely in the hopes some day someone will win 'big' (and I mean more than £20,000 which is the highest I've seen yet)

a 23 yr old girl won 42,000 on day....which was nice

• Advertisement

a 23 yr old girl won 42,000 on day....which was nice

Cool - what was left of the big numbers (I'm suspecting the 100k and 250k) when she did the deal?

doh.ie wrote:
    Cool - what was left of the big numbers (I'm suspecting the 100k and 250k) when she did the deal?

cant remember to be honest.....sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Saw this a couple of time when I was home for Christmas (my mother is addicted) and can kind of see the appeal but there was too much of a bang of 'rehearsed' off it for my taste.

Still there's a kind of sick fascination in playing in through to end no matter what, so you can see who has won loads or messed it up totally - each being equally as enjoyable to watch presumably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scobie

mickd wrote:
    To rephrase, the success of Deal or no Deal on Channel 4 is due to Noel Edmonds and his presentation style.

I fully agree. Noel Edmonds is a great presenter. I've watched the show a few times and it's not very good - but it's held together by Noel Edmonds. For God's sake it's pure chance, give me Winning Streak anytime! Even with the new slapper of a presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

The show is not bad but it is really annoying all the hugging, crying and running over to other contestants for a good old slap on the back. Slap on the chops would be proper entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Oh, now that would add a certain dimension to the show. You get to smack the person who has 250,000 in their box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

corblimey wrote:
    Oh, now that would add a certain dimension to the show. You get to smack the person who has 250,000 in their box.

Smack them with a big dead fish, for the comedy value.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

She did well today, dealt at €57k !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah she must of had a sixth sense or something, dodging every single high value box. Was good tv I thought :)

today a woman won £57k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

she dodged them well, luck of the irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

thanks you just reminded me. someone told me this was a great show, i never saw it. but i am off to sky+ it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what confuses me and my mother is they say the show is live and theres those people who stand behind their box until they get a go day in day out for weeks on end???

usually most quiz shows film a couple a day or a bunch over a couple of days together?

one guy said he quit his job to go on the how???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Didn't feel a bit sorry for yer man today. Took €45000 with only a few numbers left and ended up having the €250000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

what confuses me and my mother is they say the show is live and theres those people who stand behind their box until they get a go day in day out for weeks on end???

usually most quiz shows film a couple a day or a bunch over a couple of days together?

one guy said he quit his job to go on the how???
    They definitely record something like 3 shows every day, I think 4 times a week. Since they show 6 shows a week, they're running ahead of themselves, but I assume that they take breaks every now and again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement