Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why can't I find these anywhere???

Options
  • 03-02-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Could you please advise how these (picture below) are called in English and where you buy them in Ireland? Are these what you call "Angled Box Spanners"?

cles_a_pipe_biz.jpg

I'm trying to change the glow plugs on a Renault Clio and the first two were easy enough to remove but the last two are a biatch! I need the above tool (in sizes 8 & 12) in order to finish the job... Help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It looks like a wrench of some sort, certainly not a spanner (americans call spanners, wrenches though!). Does it just have a hole for the glow plug and a handle on the other end or is it for use with a ratchet handle? Why can't you use a long reach socket to get the plugs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

murphaph wrote:
    It looks like a wrench of some sort
    Have you never seen these before? That is so weird! In France (that's where I started messing about with tools and motors...) these "clés à pipe" as we call them are a must in any tool box! And yet, here in Ireland, nobody is selling them/familiar with them! That is so odd!
    murphaph wrote:
    Does it just have a hole for the glow plug and a handle on the other end or is it for use with a ratchet handle?
    Sorry... Didn't get that I'm afraid. My English mechanical/tool vocabulary is very limited... :(
    murphaph wrote:
    Why can't you use a long reach socket to get the plugs out?

No space to manoeuvre... Carburettor (or fuel injection system?) is too close. Can't use those "socket set wrench/tools" as they hit against it and because of the angle of these glow plugs I can't use a normal flat wrench either... :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tube spanner I think they are called.

Why wouldn't a regular socket with an articulated joint work?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tube spanner I think they are called.

Why wouldn't a regular socket with an articulated joint work?
    I tried! Not enough space...

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    That's them alright! But these particular ones wouldn't do as the glow plugs are very long so I need thoses "Offset Wrenches" that have an open-end (really hope this makes sense!). Basically the short end of the wrench should not be "fully encased"... I'll try to find a pic on google...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Try www.radionics.ie

Think I saw something similar in their catalogue yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

these http://tinyurl.com/bklxj. Facom make these or you can get them in any Geant Hypermarche so maybe you can get someone at home to send you a set.

Basically the short end of the wrench should not be "fully encased"... I'll try to find a pic on google...
    Not quite sure what you mean there ... according to the website ...

These dual purpose spanners have a hole right through the short arm which allows the threaded portion of the bolt or stud to pass right through.

Is that what you mean?

Alun wrote:
    These dual purpose spanners have a hole right through the short arm which allows the threaded portion of the bolt or stud to pass right through.

Is that what you mean?

That's exactly what I mean! :D Well done for understanding based on what I wrote!

• Advertisement

greglo23 wrote:
    these http://tinyurl.com/bklxj. Facom make these or you can get them in any Geant Hypermarche so maybe you can get someone at home to send you a set.
    "High quality 6-piece set, comprising sizes 8, 10, 11, 13, 17 and 19mm wrenches supplied complete in a PVC wallet." No 12 then... :o Might have to get them sent from France or go to a mechanic to get the job finished... :(

bp_me wrote:
    Try www.radionics.ie

Think I saw something similar in their catalogue yesterday.
    Nope... Didn't find them on the website anyway... Might have to give them a ring. Thanks for the link! ;)

The link that greglo23 posted was actually a (redirected) link to the Radionics website, where they have these for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

FB11836.JPG
    According to the Teng (my fave tools!) website it says;

Double End 6-point and 12 point Angular wrench. The socket in the short end allows working on nuts fitted onto protruding threads. Made of Chrome vanadium. Satin finish.

Teng are available from decent motor factors and can order in and get them from the distributor in a day or so. The irish distributor is AH Anderson. They will be able to point you to a good reseller (they will not sell to the general public, I know-my dad used to deal with them before he retired).

Thank you all for your help on this! I really appreciate it! I should now be able to get my hands on these tools easily enough!

Thanks again! ;)

Advertisement