Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a second hand game to GAME

Options
  • 03-02-2006 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a 2nd hand Super Mario Sunshine for the GC a few days ago from GAME on Dawson St. Found out that it doesn't work, it encounters an error at exactly the same spot each time, the game puts up and error message and doesn't continue.

I was wondering what GAME's policy on returing second hand games. I have looked at the www.game.net website and can't find anything.

Anyone ever had tried returning a already traded game that was faulty. It will be a bit of a hassle to do it and if I'm just going to get into an argument with the manger over small print it doesn't seem worth it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well you are well within your rights to return it. It was faulty when you bought it. The only problem will be if you bought it in Henry St. The manager there is a hitler and will do anything other than give you any sort of service. Don't let him bully you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Don't let him bully you.

"I want to quit the gym!" :D

No I bought it on Dawson St.

Had some major hassle there a few years ago when I wanted to return a PC game that didn't work. Initally they said they don't accept PC game returns. I explained I wasn't exchanging it I was returning it because it was faulty. Then they started in on "How do we know its faulty", to which I had to say "I don't care, but it is". I think they were convinced when I said I would happily take another copy of the same game.

Hopefully those bastards are long gone back to college or what ever they were waiting to do that summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

pc games are different. if its faulty then its faulty you can get an exchange. just bring it back tomorrow with your receipt. wont be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^what evad said :)
    Preowned games are guaranteed for 90 days... so there'll be no problem with changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Preowned games are guaranteed for 90 days
    I don't think the Sale of Good and Supply of Services Act 1980 specifies anytime limit. If something breaks 91 days after sale one could argue that it was not of merchantable quality. Game's 90-policies mean jack **** then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Syth wrote:
    I don't think the Sale of Good and Supply of Services Act 1980 specifies anytime limit. If something breaks 91 days after sale one could argue that it was not of merchantable quality. Game's 90-policies mean jack **** then.

I think theres something about returning it in a reasonable time, 90 days for a second hand game is very good imo. If theres a problem you have more than enough time go play the game through to the point where the disc might be damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Same thing happened to me with Super Monkey Ball, brought it back and replaced it with a second preowned version which again didn't work. The guy then went in the back and found a brand new version and I just paid the difference, which I thought was pretty cool considering they hadn't got the game on the shop floor. Was in Dundrum, which no longer have any GC games bar a handful of pre-owned, most of which are some version of FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Syth wrote:

surely you realise a games console ie playstation 2 is under a 1 year guarantee. you try bring that back to a shop a year and a half later cause its broken. you think youll get a replacement?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Syth wrote:
    It does mention a 'reasonable' time, which varies according to the product. With game discs, generally if it works the first time then the only thing that would stop it working afterwards would be mistreatment by the owner (scratches, cracks etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Just a follow up, I went into day to Dawson St. GAME and I must say they were very helpful with no hassle. They just said I could get a refund or I could buy a full price version of the game for 5 euro more, which I did.

So my view of the particular GAME has gone up a notch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Usually they will get you just another copy of the prewowned game or if its not in they will usually offer you a decent price on a ew version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Same thing happened to me when I bought Tenchu for the PS2, except the game was supposed to be brand new :rolleyes:

Advertisement