Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nanites and nanobites

• 03-02-2006 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Okay this could be long winded and very wrong but i'm going to put my theory's out there.
    If any of you out there have read Michael Critchon's book prey you'll be all familiar with the idea of nanites and nanobites, for everyone else they are like microscopic robots and they work in the same way swarms work,as they go around as one. I'm surprised i didn't cop this on sooner after seeing the episode where ecko stares down the cloud of black. I'm pretty sure if you watch that episode you'll hear the sounds of photos being taken in the swarm and flashes of light. In the book, the u.s government are developing nanites for use in war basically to spy on enemies. A swarm of nanites escapes and begin to kill the people but they also take photos of them and towards the end of the book they start to imitate the people in the book. They use the images to make themselves look like the people so they become clones of the people. The reason this happens is because they are programmed to imitate the natural swarms and swarms act as one to scare off threats to their habitats.
    Its actually a problem they have programming them. But if you look a couple of threads back someone posted a link to that piece of script that was supposedly leaked. It says that jack gets attacked and his attacker is actually him. This is really similar to the book i read.

I'll move on to nanobites, these are basically identical to nanites but nanobites are developed to make use of there natural surroundings and act like they are the surroundings i.e imitate the sounds and texture of the surroundings so as not to be detected. They are way more intelligent than nanites and even have the ability to manipulate their surroundings to give themselves matter. For e.g the ones that are apparently being developed in the u.s can pick up small pieces of dirt so that when they camoflage in with the surroundings so that if someone touches them they feel like what they look like i.e a branch or whatever.

I think that the cloud we saw is a swarm of nanites and that explains the appearance of polar bears,horses and jack's father. I think some government agency developed these and put them on the island to either imitate surroundings for spying. I have no idea about the numbers but i think i have a good idea what the hatch is all about and its not far removed from what i've read on this forum. If you want to hear it let me know and i'll post it but if you want me to shut up i'll gladly do that aswell.
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Didn't the writers say that nanotechnology or the government weren't involved with Lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

requiem1 wrote:
    ... i think i have a good idea what the hatch is all about and its not far removed from what i've read on this forum. If you want to hear it let me know and i'll post it but if you want me to shut up i'll gladly do that aswell.

Good theory. Close enough to real, cutting-edge science to be believable to a mainstream audience. Now don't keep us in suspense, tell us your idea about The Hatch! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

yes the nanites theory has been around for awhile now, and has been disproved, still though feel free to tell us your other theories, i dont see any harm in it.

oh and please read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=262921
    thread, this post should have a big 'US' in the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

sorry actually had no idea the nanites theory had been around for a while just thought i'd post it. As for my theory about the hatch once again the same applies if someone else posted it fair enough and if its wrong or disproved i don't mind either.
    I came across this in college and crossed referenced with a couple of my lecturers just to make sure the theory is concrete. But basically i was studying super computers and the idea of processors of high frequencies releasing large amounts of electromagnetism. When you make a supercomputer it is basically comprised of generally over 600 hundred processors in parallel.This displays so much electromagnetism that if you have any electircal devices or even watches on you and you are in the presence of the supercomputer while its running generally the devices get messed up. I talked to one of my lecturers about this and he told me that in order to stop this occuring to people working in the presence of these that they originally housed them in large cases made of different alloys. But people started to feel sick around them and get headaches and nausia and this was due to the fact that the alloys became basically big massive magnets and attracted any metals that passed near them. We all know that when jack stood next to the wall in the hatch his key on his necklace was attracted to the wall. Another really interesting thing my lecturer told me was that the really oldschool original computers used to have reset codes that started up a process after the task had been completed but the only thing that annoys me about this is that if theres a computer under the hatch it will more than likely be a modern one and that kinda contradicts that last piece of info but i thought i'd let you ponder it. So in summary i'm almost in agreement with the satelite theory previously posted cause i found out aut the 108 minutes thing around the same time as i found out about the computer and i though between the nanites the satelite and the supercomputer it would all go together quite nicely. Feel free to critcise cause as you'll see by my postings i'm new to the boards thing and mightn't have heard as much as you guys.

Advertisement