Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points: Checking Quantity & "Extra Time"

Options
  • 03-02-2006 6:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Just received notification of another two points, for a right snakey speed trap in the middle of nowhere on the way back from Shannon at one o'clock in the morning. Slimey, snakey, scumbag Garda. But anyway...

First, how do I check how many points are on my licence? The notice tells me I currently have six, but I have an idea in my head that the first two will expire before I go for my insurance later this year, so I'd like to check at that time. Is there an existing procedure or will I have to jump through hoops?

Secondly, the notice tells me that the points "have been endorsed on the entry in the licence record relating to [me]", however later in the notice it says that they "will remain on the entry for a period of three years from 27 February 2006". So have they been added at this stage or not? And if they have, wouldn't that be a period of three years and just short of a month, and not three years as stated in the legislation?

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

The smart answer would be don't get them :)

Honestly though, that late entry thing seems a bit dodgy - I'd get back to them on that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

currently you have only the points that have been applied (possibly 4) with two pending. The two new points will run from Feb 27th 2006 till Feb 26th 2009
    Some insurance companies/brokers* ( ask for both (or else don't ask at all!).
    I think you need to ring either the Dept of Transport or Environment - Im sure somene will say.

Im surprised about the time of the speed trap - very few at night. When were you caught?
    Check the date etc. before you sign and send it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hi kbannon,
    kbannon wrote:
    currently you have only the points that have been applied (possibly 4) with two pending. The two new points will run from Feb 27th 2006 till Feb 26th 2009
    Are you sure about that or are you only speculating? The language really isn't clear, it suggests both.
    Some insurance companies/brokers* ( ask for both (or else don't ask at all!).
    I'm with Hibernian, so they'll know anyway. I still haven't gotten an answer as to why Hibernian is the only insurer with access to the points, any idea?
    I think you need to ring either the Dept of Transport or Environment - Im sure somene will say.
    Probably, but there's a risk that'll put me into bureacratic hell. Said I'd ask first.
    Im surprised about the time of the speed trap - very few at night. When were you caught?
    25th of November, picking the old man up from a late flight into Shannon. It was a 50kph blackspot at a crossroads, apparently created after a bad crash there a few years ago. Didn't see the 50 signs, I was doing 70 or so. However given it was at night, obviously you'd see lights coming off the side road. The Guards were sitting in a petrol station with their lights off. It really was a snakey speed trap.
    Nothing to sign, it's just a notice.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

kbannon wrote:

I was caught at 1am about a year ago, between Roscrea and Moneygall on the N7, doing 67 in a 60. Sneaks had pulled into a house on the other side of the road. Just as I passed, the headlights came out and the car came after me. Knew I was done for straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

i was done on the duel carrigeway beside the dcu at 1020 one night and got caught for doing 40 in a 30 the w@~kers only seen them when she started waving there red wands about.....that same night one of those sneaky guards got a broken jaw from a ballymun local! justice maybe!

• Advertisement

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Are you sure about that or are you only speculating? The language really isn't clear, it suggests both.
    Points are not applied as of the date of the offence. they are applied to a date in the future (like yours).
    Points also last for three years after they have been applied.
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    I'm with Hibernian, so they'll know anyway. I still haven't gotten an answer as to why Hibernian is the only insurer with access to the points, any idea?
    Hibernian were the only ones who agreed with the Dept of Transport to give a reduction to those without points. therefore Hibernian were the only insurance company who can access a drivers points tally. their brokers also have this access.
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    Nothing to sign, it's just a notice.
    You did/will have to sign something admitting your guilt and accepting the fine. This is the form I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

kbannon wrote:
    Hibernian were the only ones who agreed with the Dept of Transport to give a reduction to those without points. therefore Hibernian were the only insurance company who can access a drivers points tally. their brokers also have this access.

Do they add on a loading for having points out of interest? And also can a new driver try and claim for a discount due to having no points?

i think if you have over 4 points. If I could be bothered I would check www.hibernian.ie - but I couldn't!

kbannon wrote:
    i think if you have over 4 points. If I could be bothered I would check www.hibernian.ie - but I couldn't!

Laziness is an art. I'm going to be let loose from the 6th of April and will be on my mam's insurance for a while anyway

kbannon wrote:
    Points are not applied as of the date of the offence. they are applied to a date in the future (like yours).
    I knew that, but with no offence intended I think you may have skimmed my first post. Please see the quotes from the notice.
    Ah right, I see now; thanks for that. Are you sure the brokers have access though? I'm pretty sure mine didn't.
    You did/will have to sign something admitting your guilt and accepting the fine. This is the form I meant.
    The Fixed Penalty Notice. Dealt with that nearly a month ago; just shows how screwed up the points system is already. I can only imagine what it'll get like with the new additions.
    Squirrel wrote:
    Do they add on a loading for having points out of interest? And also can a new driver try and claim for a discount due to having no points?
    AFAIR you get a discount if you have none, you lose it if you have two, you get loaded if you have four or more.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks kbannon, for clearing some things up that I wasn't entirely sure about
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    how do I check how many points are on my licence?

I'd like to know the answer to that one too. Is it possible to get a list of the endorsed and pending points, the offence dates (and reasons) and the endorsement dates?

I have no points as of yet, but I'd like to know the situation when I get them...

unkel wrote:
    I have no points as of yet, but I'd like to know the situation when I get them...

Confidence :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

kbannon wrote:

Im surprised about the time of the speed trap - very few at night.QUOTE]

Gardai have a regular speed checkpoint on the N1 (northbound at Lissenhall) at 9/10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Ken Shabby wrote:
    25th of November, picking the old man up from a late flight into Shannon. It was a 50kph blackspot at a crossroads, apparently created after a bad crash there a few years ago. Didn't see the 50 signs, I was doing 70 or so. However given it was at night, obviously you'd see lights coming off the side road. The Guards were sitting in a petrol station with their lights off. It really was a snakey speed trap.
    That in Banoge?
    The owner of the petrol station has started leaving lights on there to discourge the cops from parking up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Squirrel wrote:
    Confidence :rolleyes:

Eh? Just being realistic, hence my picking "when" rather than "if"

And yes, I was one of those left-lane 60km/h (cruise control - belts and braces) hoggers on the N4 (between the M50 and the M4) until the powers that be thankfully upped the limit to 80km/h both ways, a fair limit for the road in question imho

Bogger77 wrote:
    That in Banoge?
    Think that's the gaff, yeah.
    The owner of the petrol station has started leaving lights on there to discourge the cops from parking up there.
    Rightly so too. I can understand the need for speed limits, and I can understand the fact that I'm breaking the law when I speed and will accept the consequences when it happens. However stuff like this písses me off no end, because it's not about safety, it's about power complexes and revenue generation.

I respect most guards and I don't lump them all into one category like many do. But that guy was a bad cop, and he shouldn't be on the force. I hope somebody gives him a good kick in the balls some day, and gets away with it.

adam

BTW, I'm not just being a bitch when I draw attention to the discrepancy. The notice states that the points have been endorsed and that they won't expire until Feb 27. If my insurance was due today, I'd lose out because of that extra month. Ok, /my/ insurance isn't due today, but it's a discrepancy tat could affect people.

adam

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I knew that, but with no offence intended I think you may have skimmed my first post. Please see the quotes from the notice.
    which is...
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    Secondly, the notice tells me that the points "have been endorsed on the entry in the licence record relating to [me]", however later in the notice it says that they "will remain on the entry for a period of three years from 27 February 2006". So have they been added at this stage or not? And if they have, wouldn't that be a period of three years and just short of a month, and not three years as stated in the legislation?
    which means that a record of your offence has been made on your driving record and that points will be applied for 3 years as of Feb 27.

I'm a moron. I skimmed the year, thought it was 2008. Which would also be wrong. Sorry, sorry, sorry! :(

adam

Apologies for asking a question which possibly has been asked many times before:

I received a fixed penalty notice in November- €80 fine and 2 points (70kph in 60kph zone on Naas Rd.)

I paid the fine that day and received a receipt for that payment only. I have not received any notice to date informing me about the points and when they will be applied. (I presume there is such a notice).

(a) Am I "points free" until I receive this notice of date of endorsement?

(b) Is there a time limit when notice of endorsement must be sent by?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

forgiven Ken :D

Litcagral wrote:
    (a) Am I "points free" until I receive this notice of date of endorsement?

(b) Is there a time limit when notice of endorsement must be sent by?
    a. yes - but you will have points pending
    b. IIRC it is 6 months

Thanks kbannon :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Just received notification of another two points, for a right snakey speed trap in the middle of nowhere on the way back from Shannon at one o'clock in the morning. Slimey, snakey, scumbag Garda. But anyway...

Were they not doing what everybody wants them to be doing? speed traps late at night on country roads, where most fatal accidents occur.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    What Chief said!
    Now all we need is for someone within the force to come up with the idea of doing checks at night for alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What the garage owner should do aswell as leaving the lights on is to put up a sign saying cops hiding ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Or people should obey the law and it would'nt matter if they were hiding in a hedge.

Bond-007 wrote:
    What the garage owner should do aswell as leaving the lights on is to put up a sign saying cops hiding ahead!
    against the law - obstruction or something - same category as flashing oncoming cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I mailed the minister before Christmas and got no response.

So I mailed him again last week asking for my points tally citing the FOI act.

Still awaiting an acknowledgement to the FOI request.

If you are interested you can go to the placeholder that is www.penaltypoints.ie - it'll be a brief unsatisfying visit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

All you have to do is ring the Dept of Transport. The Minister is busy enough turning up at the opening of an envelope.

Advertisement