Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NFL season

Options
  • 03-02-2006 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Does anyone know why the american football season is so condensed. It runs from September to February, or January for most teams that don't make the post-season whereas a lot of other sports notably in Europe run from the end of the summer until April and May.

Granted I know football is a tough game and it can take its toll but rugby for example runs well into late spring. Another result of this short season is that if a star player gets injured even for a few weeks a teams whole season can turn. We all saw how the Eagles crumbled this year during that short space where they lost their best players. It does sometimes mean that no season goes to plan and perhaps makes it more exciting but that can't be the reason,

Anyway its something I've always wondered and maybe you guys can tell me :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psycrow

My guess would be not to clash with the baseball season but i might be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

psycrow wrote:
    My guess would be not to clash with the baseball season but i might be wrong
    i reckon you'd be mostly right, basbeball, hockey, basketball etc, there's not a lot of time that the league can get it mostly to themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

You're exactly right - It's in order to milk the public of their money. All of the biggest American Sports' sporting calendars (Ice-hockey, American Football, Basketball, and baseball) are arranged in such a way to gain maximum profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd say it has to do with the atheletes as well, in fairness if you were 6' and 300lbs, you & your knees ain't gonna last from August till May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 NDMARSHALS

The money thing is the main factor. Altough all the seasons run into each other their pen-ultimate games are months away from each other to maximise profit.

• Advertisement

I'd say it has to do with the atheletes as well, in fairness if you were 6' and 300lbs, you & your knees ain't gonna last from August till May.

As for the health of players has nothing to do with it being honest.

The condensed season is due to the number of teams and the fact the play once a week very hard to make a season longer unless you add more games unecessarily.

NDMARSHALS wrote:
    As for the health of players has nothing to do with it being honest.

The condensed season is due to the number of teams and the fact the play once a week very hard to make a season longer unless you add more games unecessarily.
    thats a very good point, 32 teams in a country of nearly 400 million people, such a verocious appetite means all teams must play every week, it's not so much a case o having a bunch of games every two weeks, nobody would be too happy to have to sit at home and watch two completely differeent cities play if there was a franchise and an empty stadium down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

thats a very good point, 32 teams in a country of nearly 400 million people

You're 105 million out.:D

IMHO, the season is so short because that's the way it started out. Originally, it was just 9 or 10 games, then 12, then 14 and finally 16 regular season games. There's really no need for any more. We know which teams are best after this number. And can you imagine these guys playing full out during the warmer weather?

sorry , "nearly 300 million"

Slow coach wrote:
    You're 105 million out.:D

IMHO, the season is so short because that's the way it started out. Originally, it was just 9 or 10 games, then 12, then 14 and finally 16 regular season games. There's really no need for any more. We know which teams are best after this number. And can you imagine these guys playing full out during the warmer weather?

Ok the weather has nothing to do with it Texas Florida Alabama California etc etc

And I have confirmed the real reason with our coach who played in the NFL the reason is because of the school season. As the NFL was created by two colleges using varied soccer rules during the college season.

http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1869-1910

• Advertisement
Advertisement