Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Lost Exam Paper: Happened Anyone?

Options
  • 03-02-2006 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I just found out that the college lost part of my exam scripts. Basically, one exam on computers was divided up into three parts, twenty minutes each, for all three of the modules - each was worth 20%. When I noticed that while I passed, my marks were a tad lower than expected, I emailed my lecturer and he said that (A) my exam scripts had not turned up, so I was not allocated the marks in those subjects, and (B) it was possibly my own fault for incorrectly writing down my exam number on top of all three pages!

Anyone have any experience with this? I feel I should get some marks, maybe just an average of all my previous continuous assesment, rather than just losing 20% in each of these subjects. I wonder what the appeals process is....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

were your three scripts tied together using a treasury tag (green string yoke) before you handed it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

If you are sure that you handed up everything, then it's not your fault. So fúck them, nail them to the wall.

Go to the head of the department and/or the SU?? I'm not totally sure, but if this was me I would not let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A guy in my class... his lecturer managed to lose his entire script for one of his exams! :eek: He's currently raising hell to try to find out what happened...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

talk to the SU education officer, your student adviser (don't know who the computer one is) and speak to the examination appeals office who are located in the engineering building.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

CS one = Owen Fallon. Lovely guy.

• Advertisement

well from supervising a few exams here's my own personal opinion on it:

If you tied all three scripts together before handing up then it would be hard for the third script to get lost. It could only happen if lecturer removed the tag, in which case he is responsible for its loss.

If you forgot to put your number on a script then again it's still not a problem. The other 2 scripts would have your number on it and it would be easy to match the scripts up by comparing the writing. Even if someone else did forgot to fill their number in too.

And even if you forgot to number any of the three scripts, this would be seen at the end of exam as we match the scripts against the mark sheets. It's often the case that someone forgets to number a script or gets the digits wrong and we are able to sort this.

So if ur 100% certain you handed three scripts up, my feeling would be that it was the lecturer who lost the third script and therefore responsible. I'd certain appeal to exams office about the mark.

Yep, absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ucd_guy

Yeah, I'm gonna try and seek (A) the sum total of the 20% - prob not gonna happen! :D or (B) an average based on my average continuous assessment for the year. Which is fair enough! I'm bummed cause I know it's the one part of the exam where I did well! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

from what i've heard he is a ledge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

IRLRobins don't ye record every extra answerbook - i.e. if i start off with one on the desk say, and then i ask for another one it's recorded against my number. so this chap will have three answerbooks recorded by the invigilator won't he?

• Advertisement

yes we record extra answer books. However, if the exam paper states that the student must answer in each section in a separate answer book, then we will give out enough scripts to do this. And we don't record this.

So in this case, assuming the OP had to answer 1 question from each of section A, B and C, we would have placed three scripts on every desk before the exam started. We would only record giving out a 4th and subsequent answer book.

Actually it wasn't a formal exam like those - just handed 3x A4 sheets with boxes on them and you had to write the answer to your questions in the appropriate box. The one hour exam was worth 20% of three modules, so they told me they'd lost the entire script for the exam and thus docked me 20% in all three subjects. :confused: What peed me off even more was when I got an email from a lecturer basically saying it was my own fault for writing my exam number down wrong. Three times? After writing it down correctly on twelve papers before that? Me thinks not. Anyway, I'm going in to give out on Monday morning!

Yea I'd persue it. If you handed it up regardless of wrong number of not, it should not have been lost.

I'd recommend talking to Owen Fallon first of all rather than lecturer.

After speaking to the lecturer, turns out it's most likely that I put the wrong exam number down.... They have six exam scripts with incorrect numbers - one of these is obviously mine! It costs sixty euro to appeal the thing, but I think I might anyway. Hopefully they can compare the writing on my other scripts with that one and find it!

Good luck with that. Let us know how u get on!

Advertisement