Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the story with PS3? & PS3 Release March 2007?

• 03-02-2006 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

As the title says, what is the story with the PS3? I was in game and one of their staff said that someone was in that told him that it was not being released until the end of this year or at the begining of next year. Does anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Christmas i heard, and i think that was america

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Christmas i heard, and i think that was america

So that will be probably around March when it gets to Europe, good post is so slow:) . Looking forward to getting it. I hear they are going to be dear about €500, so I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its all speculation at the moment. Head of sony (or someone high up) said that the PS3 would be expensive, but gave no details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Apparently they're expecting very long delays and it won't be a very good console at all. Reports are emerging from Sony staff that the 360 will turn out to be the better console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Apparently they're expecting very long delays and it won't be a very good console at all. Reports are emerging from Sony staff that the 360 will turn out to be the better console.

Go back to your 360 you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Why would Sony staff say that? The PS3 has the "cell" so it should be better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

that was ken kutaragi. the head of sony australia said it wont be as expensive a few months after ken's comments.

now it looks like sony's aiming at the same price range as the 360, with a possibility of 2 versions (with HDD/without HDD), each version with an option of 3 different colours (black, grey, white).

the price wont go crazy btw. blu-ray is an expensive thing but the RSX chip (which they've decided to add 256mb gddr3 to btw) and cell can do most of the work that a blu-ray player does without a problem...

EBGames in the US has started pre-orders at $59.99 (I-8 being the notable game on the list. everything else is what was expected... GT etc.).

ps3 will have a unified "xbox-live" style online service. it'll also have psp style "firmware updates" to improve functionality and add new features as ps3's timeline goes on...

there should be an official announcement sometime in feb or march about dates/cost etc. EBGames' pre-orders are for october 2006. likely japan may get the console in may/june, america in august/sept, and europe in nov/dec. a sony chief said they want to release in the same year, for financial reasons.

also, sony is back in profit and the "playstation" dept. has done very well in the last while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

qz wrote:
    Go back to your 360 you.

actually qz, what he said is true, i read on eurogamer i think, a member of staff was fired, for leaking information that at THIS stage, the xbox360 is a better console, and the ps3 development isnt going well at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The guy was an artist for Sony Online Entertainment, the guys who make everquest and I believe their developing a PS3 game but their not a whole lot closer to Sony Computer Entertainment than most third party devs, he said that he 'heard' the 360 was better, its hardly definitive.

There's lots of conflicting reports but from the various bits and pieces I've read I've come to the conclusion (this is my theory, may be totally wrong) that there's problems with development right now but they're going to wait until it's ready, however long that takes.

I own a 360 but I still bought Katamari today and will be getting Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, and there's still other big PS2 games to come. Sony don't need to panic. They control the market, they have brand recognition and unparallelled developer support. They could probably release in 2008 and compete just fine.

actually qz, what he said is true, i read on eurogamer i think, a member of staff was fired, for leaking information that at THIS stage, the xbox360 is a better console, and the ps3 development isnt going well at all.

that was at e3 last year before the thing had even been announced. and he was an artist. hardly "in the know" in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Not only that but he "heard" it from another artist working on another project. That project was on the 360.

I know a guy who works with some guys who work with a PS3 dev kit. Some other guy HE knows work with some guys who work with guys who work on a finished 360. They think the finished 360 is better than the 4th hand description they gave their developers of our console...

Good luck chief.

Didnt good auld Ken say there would be a playable ps3 dev at e3 2005? :rolleyes: hopefully they are gonna take there time, and make a great console, but they also stated an april 2006 launch, and we havnt seen anything then a few of the usual pre-rendereds, really looking forward to it coming out, but sonys a bit of an aul eejit in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Well ill tell you one thing they will have a lot more PS3s on the shelf the day it comes out, unlike MS who had about two 360s per shop :rolleyes:

Well ill tell you one thing they will have a lot more PS3s on the shelf the day it comes out, unlike MS who had about two 360s per shop :rolleyes:

true, but the japs will prolly have that shinny new george foreman under there tv at least 2-3months before you at all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What's the rush with the new generation anyway? I'm still enjoying Pro Evo on my PSP, The Warriors on PS2 and Mario 64 on my DS. I'm also looking forward to Mario and Luigi next week and Shadow of Collossus the week after.

The new generation will only bring higher prices, and better graphics. Chances aren't it won't add anything to what matters: the gameplay.

The only good thing it is bringing at the moment is a reducation in price of both hardware and games for the current generation.

true, but the japs will prolly have that shinny new george foreman under there tv at least 2-3months before you at all. :rolleyes:

true but everytime the japs get something before us (ps2, psp, phones, etc.) it builds up the hype because pics and videos get put online for us to oogle at and longingly wait for our release date. this helps sales at launch. and it also means sony has 2-3 months to MAKE enough consoles for us to buy.

Also true:D but many irish people, planing on buying the console, wont have internet access, all they want is the latest GTA, so in terms of the irish market i dont think to much hype will circle when it hits jap before EU.

Lemlin wrote:

The new generation will only bring higher prices, and better graphics. Chances aren't it won't add anything to what matters: the gameplay.

Out of interest my two most recent purchases were We Love Katamari on PS2, €60 and Marble Blast Ultra on X360, €10. The next gen game was far better value for money. When you make allowances for inflation, gaming has been getting cheaper with every new generation for years. It's not since the Commodore 64 that games were as affordable as they are now. Despite people making doomsday predictions every single time a console comes out.

As for gameplay, most of the best PS2 games couldn't be done on PS1. It's not a simple matter of graphics, putting a city like GTA in a PS1 game just wasn't possible. The amount of objects in the world of Katamari couldn't be done on a PS1 either, and a PS1 probably could handle its graphics. In both cases this is the core of the gameplay, simply couldn't exist on older hardware. And there's many other examples. We'll see the same thing in the next generation, we haven't yet but we will. Looking at the amount of Zombies you'll face at once in Dead Rising, the way Fight Night doesn't need to bother with on screen displays anymore, even the way you can play a practice game during loading in FIFA because it can store the match engine in the ample RAM at all times, they're all small hints at the potential for improved experiences as time goes on on the new consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

steviec wrote:
    Out of interest my two most recent purchases were We Love Katamari on PS2, €60 and Marble Blast Ultra on X360, €10. The next gen game was far better value for money. When you make allowances for inflation, gaming has been getting cheaper with every new generation for years. It's not since the Commodore 64 that games were as affordable as they are now. Despite people making doomsday predictions every single time a console comes out.

As for gameplay, most of the best PS2 games couldn't be done on PS1. It's not a simple matter of graphics, putting a city like GTA in a PS1 game just wasn't possible. The amount of objects in the world of Katamari couldn't be done on a PS1 either, and a PS1 probably could handle its graphics. In both cases this is the core of the gameplay, simply couldn't exist on older hardware. And there's many other examples. We'll see the same thing in the next generation, we haven't yet but we will. Looking at the amount of Zombies you'll face at once in Dead Rising, the way Fight Night doesn't need to bother with on screen displays anymore, even the way you can play a practice game during loading in FIFA because it can store the match engine in the ample RAM at all times, they're all small hints at the potential for improved experiences as time goes on on the new consoles.

Agreed. Chances are though that it'll take a while for games that truly exploit Xox 360's hardware to arrive. Until then, we might as well enjoy the current generation consoles.

The value I was referring to was not new, but recent games. For example, MGS3, The Warriors, King Kong, God Of War and San Andreas are all quality PS2 games, and all are avilable for about €30 new now.

Lemlin wrote:
    Agreed. Chances are though that it'll take a while for games that truly exploit Xox 360's hardware to arrive. Until then, we might as well enjoy the current generation consoles.

The value I was referring to was not new, but recent games. For example, MGS3, The Warriors, King Kong, God Of War and San Andreas are all quality PS2 games, and all are avilable for about €30 new now.

yes at the moment there are some quality games out there (katamari's just coming out, black is due soon etc. etc.) but they have to compete with the lush visuals PC games give us. even if their gameplay is amazing, they have to LOOK amazing to reel people in. a blocky horrible "aa off" style game wont make the cover of any magazines when you have gordon freeman looking almost photo-realistic standing there.

that's why sony and microsoft are pushing out new hardware now.

also...

- Reuters reported that Sony has confirmed a spring 2006 launch date for PlayStation 3, but no territory was specific, so the system maybe launched in Japan first. Sony has denied the online reports about the PS3 launch been pushed back to Q4 2006.

- PSM has reported new tidbits regarding to PlayStation 3, based on info provided by anonymous developers.

* There are far more game titles in development for PS3 than originally expected in US.
    * Some developers have already received the final development hardware for PS3 in early January 2006.
    * The performance of the PS3 hardware is faster than expected, PS3 also possesses a Digital Video Recording (DVR) function.
    * Sony will have a content download service similar to iTunes, but will offer high definite films and music.
    * PS3 will have Media Center capabilities similar to Xbox 360, but with more functions.
    * Video and audio can be streamed over a home network, Sony is planning for a location free rendition over PSP.
    * PSP will be able to exchange data with PS3; it is possible to upload multimedia contents from PSP to PS3.
    * PS3 will have firmware update capabilities similar to PSP.
    * PS3 will have more BluRay functionalities than a regular BluRay Player, because the Cell and RSX processor can do a lot more tasks while reading the discs.
    * PS3 will launch in US in Autumn 2006, certain game titles will have online functions at launch.

• Advertisement

yes at the moment there are some quality games out there (katamari's just coming out, black is due soon etc. etc.) but they have to compete with the lush visuals PC games give us. even if their gameplay is amazing, they have to LOOK amazing to reel people in. a blocky horrible "aa off" style game wont make the cover of any magazines when you have gordon freeman looking almost photo-realistic standing there.

that's why sony and microsoft are pushing out new hardware now.

also...

- Reuters reported that Sony has confirmed a spring 2006 launch date for PlayStation 3, but no territory was specific, so the system maybe launched in Japan first. Sony has denied the online reports about the PS3 launch been pushed back to Q4 2006.

- PSM has reported new tidbits regarding to PlayStation 3, based on info provided by anonymous developers.

* There are far more game titles in development for PS3 than originally expected in US.
    * Some developers have already received the final development hardware for PS3 in early January 2006.
    * The performance of the PS3 hardware is faster than expected, PS3 also possesses a Digital Video Recording (DVR) function.
    * Sony will have a content download service similar to iTunes, but will offer high definite films and music.
    * PS3 will have Media Center capabilities similar to Xbox 360, but with more functions.
    * Video and audio can be streamed over a home network, Sony is planning for a location free rendition over PSP.
    * PSP will be able to exchange data with PS3; it is possible to upload multimedia contents from PSP to PS3.
    * PS3 will have firmware update capabilities similar to PSP.
    * PS3 will have more BluRay functionalities than a regular BluRay Player, because the Cell and RSX processor can do a lot more tasks while reading the discs.
    * PS3 will launch in US in Autumn 2006, certain game titles will have online functions at launch.

That sounds great. Where did you get all that info from. Thanks for getting it.

some forum. but the info comes from PSM in the states i believe

some forum. but the info comes from PSM in the states i believe

If you can get anymore info on it, will you post it here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

"I’ve also talked with people on the technical side of the Xbox 360. The consistent comment I am hearing from people on my end is, 'The Xbox 360 is better'," Robinson wrote.
    http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14477

Hmmm... and hmmm....
    Other snippets include news that the final PS3 dev kit is running faster than was initially predicted, http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62751

If you can get anymore info on it, will you post it here.

aye aye.

as for the "ps3 running faster then expected". that's probably down to the fact that only recently devs got the nVidia RSX GPU "almost sort-of final" version. it went from 128 to 256 very quickly (gddr3). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

PS3 is expected to resurface this month. Sony had pencilled in a Playstation Conference for February 06, in Japan, but we'll see if that sticks (it's now the 7th and they've yet to announce details of it, so..). We've seen more media coverage of PS3 games (like Medal of Honor Airborne), this month, which ties in with the suggestion that a lot of ndas may be up soon.

There are major internal meetings going on right now regarding PS3 (literally, there's a big big meeting in San Francisco, yesterday and today), and my guess is they're hammering out final strategy before making announcements about the Japanese (or other?) launches.

The thing is, though, I think Sony is quite happy to wait as long as possible before announcing more details, particularly about launches, simply because it keeps MS guessing.

We should be hearing more very very soon, though. But last I was told, SCEE have PS3 titles scheduled for Q3 2006 - yes, that is for Europe. Of course, things can change (we all know how PSP was delayed), but I think Sony will be making every effort to ensure PS3 is released within the year here.

Oh, and about that SoE artist - he simply relayed what he heard from people on the "X360 side of things". Hmmm. Pretty much every developer who has commented on the matter, and there've been a few now, have said that PS3 is more powerful to one degree or another. Even the likes of John Carmack, who has vaunted 360's development tools, agree on this. Generally it seems most think that PS3 and X360 offer similar enough GPU performance (although PS3 is a little more powerful here still, in shading performance), but the CPUs are significantly different, and that's the major key to PS3's advantage - which you'll likely see particularly clearly in things like physics, which Cell is an absolute beast for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I've got to say I'm certainly not anticipating anything other than a delayed launch... perhaps the most screwy of limited Japanese launches but I'm doubtful.

I reckon we'll see the same as the PS2.

Loads of info... no info on the way to launch -> Everyone thinks it doesn't exist and then BAM! Massive launch.

LookingFor wrote:
    PS3 is expected to resurface this month. Sony had pencilled in a Playstation Conference for February 06, in Japan, but we'll see if that sticks (it's now the 7th and they've yet to announce details of it, so..). We've seen more media coverage of PS3 games (like Medal of Honor Airborne), this month, which ties in with the suggestion that a lot of ndas may be up soon.

27th feb - 3rd march. etch it into your diaries. i wouldn't put my house on it, but just keep it in your heads anyway :) it could be a big launch or sony could pull the plug. atm it's only big wigs who are in the know. but ps3 certainly EXISTS atm. by that i mean there is a playable, non-devkit, version out there.

(for those who are unaware i *may* have contacts in *certain* places)
    LookingFor wrote:
    We should be hearing more very very soon, though. But last I was told, SCEE have PS3 titles scheduled for Q3 2006 - yes, that is for Europe. Of course, things can change (we all know how PSP was delayed), but I think Sony will be making every effort to ensure PS3 is released within the year here.

as i've said before, sony want to launch globally within the same year for financial reasons. it also means blu-ray is out there globally before hd-dvd.
    LookingFor wrote:
    Oh, and about that SoE artist - he simply relayed what he heard from people on the "X360 side of things". Hmmm. Pretty much every developer who has commented on the matter, and there've been a few now, have said that PS3 is more powerful to one degree or another. Even the likes of John Carmack, who has vaunted 360's development tools, agree on this. Generally it seems most think that PS3 and X360 offer similar enough GPU performance (although PS3 is a little more powerful here still, in shading performance), but the CPUs are significantly different, and that's the major key to PS3's advantage - which you'll likely see particularly clearly in things like physics, which Cell is an absolute beast for.

cell was built specifically with AI, physics etc. in mind. that's why it has 7 cores... so that all these tasks can be separated onto each core, and leave 1 for parity (error checking etc.). it means theoretically the ps3 can detect things going wrong and fix them before they happen... eg. horrible slowdown because loads of AI gets loaded onto 1 screen in a GTA pile-up

as for the GPU stuff, they'll be almost the exact same in about 2 years when the consoles are being put to the test. the difference is that the ps3 will be able to load up twice as many NPC's as the 360 without a massive loss in framerate because the CELL works with the RSX and takes the load off.

also, there's a pile of launch titles to be released. way more then the 360's launch line up

also, there's a pile of launch titles to be released. way more then the 360's launch line up

the ps2 had a "pile" of launch titles, none of which were killer apps, hopefully, by the time the ps3 comes out, the 360 will see soom great games, and i *hope* ther'll be at least one ps3 game worth buying it for, i still doubt seeing it in shops anytime this year though.

• Advertisement

I-8
    Condemned: Criminal Origins
    Dark Sector
    Devil May Cry 4
    Dirty Harry
    Dog Tag
    Eyedentify
    Fifth Phantom Saga
    Fight Night Round 3
    Formula 1
    Gundam World
    Heavenly Sword
    Killing Day
    Killzone 2
    Metronome
    MotorStorm
    NioH
    Possession
    Project Delta
    Psychopath
    Scarface: The World is Yours
    Spider Man 3
    Stranglehold
    Tekken
    The Darkness
    The Getaway 3
    Theseis
    Vision Gran Turismo
    Warhawk

fair few gems in there tbh.

and according to my little birdie friends dec 1st this year will see Metal Gear Solid 4. kick straight to the gonads of microsoft.

also, PS3 will be shown to devs at GDC (game devs con). some of the devs' NDC's are also ending at the end of month. that is no coincidence btw.

i said i'd keep y'alls informed. here's your info. go forth and spread the word... or not. whatever you want tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I cant believe we have to wait 1 more year and japenese people are just around the corner from getting 1.This is so unfare you would think they would release them on the same day. :'( looks like ill be a sad man till it comes out the 360 will have to do till then.

Lemlin wrote:

Well the potential is certainly there for them to do so. The new machines offer a lot of opportunities for new and more ambitious gameplay - if developers capitalise on that. Maybe it'll take time, but personally...sign me up for Warhawk on PS3 on day one (it is a launch title, apparently!) :)

projectmayhem - that list is simply a retailer's guesses. I wouldn't take it as indicative of anything. Some of those titles don't even have publishers. And they're even missing a confirmed launch title (Lair). I can easily imagine PS3 launching with that many titles, but I doubt all of those will make up the numbers (it'll probably be some of them, plus others not on that list or that we don't know of yet).

Sony hasn't announced anything, you're reading too many rumours that are rushing to fill the void that is Sony's silence ;)

My bet is we'll see it by Xmas.

tbh

LookingFor wrote:
    Well the potential is certainly there for them to do so. The new machines offer a lot of opportunities for new and more ambitious gameplay - if developers capitalise on that. Maybe it'll take time, but personally...sign me up for Warhawk on PS3 on day one (it is a launch title, apparently!) :)

projectmayhem - that list is simply a retailer's guesses. I wouldn't take it as indicative of anything. Some of those titles don't even have publishers. And they're even missing a confirmed launch title (Lair). I can easily imagine PS3 launching with that many titles, but I doubt all of those will make up the numbers (it'll probably be some of them, plus others not on that list or that we don't know of yet).

this generation, like the last.. well, 5.. is to push the power of what we have now, giving devs more opportunity to play around. eg. letting snake patch himself up in-game (MGS) etc.

if you're looking for crazy innovation you have to look a little deeper (katamari damacy etc.). but public buying habbits dictate what the publishers put money into.

as for launch titles. yeah, there are some missing (i copied/pasted :D) but there are very clear indications that most of them will make european launch. those that don't will follow fairly soon afterwards. I-8 has won my heart anyway :)

• Advertisement

as for launch titles. yeah, there are some missing (i copied/pasted :D) but there are very clear indications that most of them will make european launch. those that don't will follow fairly soon afterwards. I-8 has won my heart anyway :)

I-8 is likely at launch, or shortly thereafter.

But things like DMC4, Gran Turismo, Killzone, The Getaway 3 etc. aren't likely at all IMO.

But there'll be others at launch that aren't on that list, likely games we don't even know about yet :)

true. didn't notice getaway. that wont be a launch title. nor will killzone (that'll be a few months after). gran turismo will. not gt5... but visionGT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

Hands on with PS3, not much detail due to NDAs
    http://games.kikizo.com/news/200602/065_p1.asp

40coats wrote:
    Hands on with PS3, not much detail due to NDAs
    http://games.kikizo.com/news/200602/065_p1.asp

Some nice details here and there, but could have done without their "educated guesses". Seemed like they were trying to review the thing based on 3 early games, some of the conclusions they seemed to make were way too premature.

Still, it's nice to see PS3 pushing things like physics, even so early :)
    An impressive list of simultaneous, wonderfully shaded, dynamic visual effects was evident, but PS3 was also able to throw around tonnes of geometry in terms of realtime 'explosion' calculation - and convincingly affect dozens of objects all at the same time.

I cant believe we have to wait 1 more year and japenese people are just around the corner from getting 1.This is so unfare you would think they would release them on the same day. :'( looks like ill be a sad man till it comes out the 360 will have to do till then.

I was in GAME the other day and I asked the fellow did he have any ideas when it would be released in Ireland. He said that it would be around December. He was saying that it is released in Japan, and he would be happyer to wait because when it gets to Ireland all the problems would be sorted. I think it will be worth the wait. Also he said that it will be more or less the same as the Xbox 360:eek: .

• Advertisement

employee's in any game retailer know about as much as you and me. i include managers in that. sony aren't going to the retailers with juicy info, so there's no point in even asking them. sony will tell us when it's coming out soon enough

i was talking to my mate and he said that the ps3 will be realeased in Uk and Northern Ireland in Spring he sent me something about sony saying that i reall do hope that it is out in 4 months and it will have up to 7 controllers in 1 console i think it will be alot better than 360 cause 360 games are terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

xbox suxors!11

i was talking to my mate and he said that the ps3 will be realeased in Uk and Northern Ireland in Spring he sent me something about sony saying that i reall do hope that it is out in 4 months and it will have up to 7 controllers in 1 console i think it will be alot better than 360 cause 360 games are terrible

lol
    it'll be out by christmas here. and it's not 7 controllers specifically. it's 7 "devices" (keyboard, mouse, eyetoy, headset/mic, etc.)
    xbox suxors!11

omfg stfu!!!111one22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Are they not doing a worldwide release like xbox did?

nope they mustn''t be if its out in japan.but boy i would love to get my hands on
    one now.

lol
    it'll be out by christmas here. and it's not 7 controllers specifically. it's 7 "devices" (keyboard, mouse, eyetoy, headset/mic, etc.)

Eyetoy won't use bluetooth. You can have 7 bluetooth devices, + 6 USB devices, and a couple of others that could connect via ethernet (the new eyetoy may in fact connect via ethernet, not USB).

Also, PS3 is NOT out in Japan. You'd have heard a lot more about it if it were! PS3 at the moment is in media blackout. It'll probably be released there between April and June. I also doubt Sony would do a worldwide simultaneous launch - MS is probably privately wondering if it was the best thing to do, in hindsight. It's great for the customers who can get their hands on one, in the different regions, but from a business perspective, there's not much point if you're only going to spread a million units across the world.

LookingFor wrote:
    Eyetoy won't use bluetooth. You can have 7 bluetooth devices, + 6 USB devices, and a couple of others that could connect via ethernet (the new eyetoy may in fact connect via ethernet, not USB).

Also, PS3 is NOT out in Japan. You'd have heard a lot more about it if it were! PS3 at the moment is in media blackout. It'll probably be released there between April and June. I also doubt Sony would do a worldwide simultaneous launch - MS is probably privately wondering if it was the best thing to do, in hindsight. It's great for the customers who can get their hands on one, in the different regions, but from a business perspective, there's not much point if you're only going to spread a million units across the world.

there's 7 USB ports, doesn't mean 7 bluetooth devices

there's 7 USB ports, doesn't mean 7 bluetooth devices

It's definitely 7 bluetooth devices and it's completely independent of USB ports.
    Having a hub and up to 7 devices connected to it is simply how Bluetooth works, that's why it's a weird number its just the maximum the format supports.

All of those devices will be joypads most likely. Remember, the joypads are wireless so that means bluetooth. It makes more sense for things like eyetoy to plug into a usb port, a wireless eyetoy that needs a battery would be kind of pointless. It would make sense for stuff like headsets to use bluetooth though, if they don't plug into the pad like on 360.

nope they mustn''t be if its out in japan.but boy i would love to get my hands on
    one now.

wait, correct me if im wrong, but are you saying it's out in japan? lol if you believe that, you'd believe anything?

• Advertisement
Advertisement