Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a call from ntl

• 03-02-2006 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

I just got a call from ntl, they said BB is available here now(Clondalkin)

5 years of waiting ffs!

I can't believe I'll finally have that damn ntl, I'm so happy :D

yeeees7uf.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Heh, NTL now have the lowest speeds of any major ISP in Dublin. Great Timing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

CiaranC wrote:

I'm still happy :)

btw, aren't they upgrading to like 10 megs soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Thats the rumour, yes. I have NTL myself, they are a decent ISP. I just felt like raining on your parade a little ;p

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

CiaranC wrote:

Lowest quoted speeds. But of course with them 3 Megs IS 3 Megs, 2 Megs IS 2 Megs and 1 Meg IS 1 Meg...........unlike many others quoted here on this forum!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I thought this was about the upgrade. :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As well as NTL's quoted speeds actually been faster then Eircom, they are significantly cheaper:

NTL 1m = €25 Eircom = €30 BT = €20
    NTL 2m = €30 Eircom = €40 BT = €30
    NTL 3m = €40 Eircom = €55 BT = €40

Of course non of this matters as big speed increases are only weaks away :)

I most say BT are doing a very good job, pity about their billing department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bk wrote:
    As well as NTL's quoted speeds actually been faster then Eircom, they are significantly cheaper:

NTL 1m = €25 Eircom = €30 BT = €20
    NTL 2m = €30 Eircom = €40 BT = €30
    NTL 3m = €40 Eircom = €55 BT = €40

Of course non of this matters as big speed increases are only weaks away :)

I most say BT are doing a very good job, pity about their billing department.
    Don't forget to add line rental onto Eircom prices (€24.18).
    BT offers a much reduced line rental fee.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kaizersoze wrote:
    Don't forget to add line rental onto Eircom prices (€24.18).
    BT offers a much reduced line rental fee.

And what about adding in the cost of the cable tv to NTL's packages nobody ever does that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dub45 wrote:
    And what about adding in the cost of the cable tv to NTL's packages nobody ever does that?

Well I specifically left out both. However I think the reason is that people feel you are actually getting some value with the TV package (17 channels, 8 not on FTA, multiple rooms) where with line rental you are only paying for the right for Eircom to chrage you even more money when you actually make a call!!!!

The TV is much easier to swallow then line rental for most people. I know some people who like or want Sky disagree, but on the whole the TV requirement is better value then line rental, even perhaps for Sky customers.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:
    I thought this was about the upgrade. :mad:

Sorry dlofnep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

NTL 1m = (€25+€24)=€49 Eircom = €30 BT = €20
    NTL 2m = (€30+€24)=€54 Eircom = €40 BT = €30
    NTL 3m = (€40+€24)=€64 Eircom = €50 BT = €40

Also dont NTL BB customers have to subscribe to NTL analogue.....mabye not now but in 12months anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The other issue with NTL is the contention.

CyberGhost wrote:
    Sorry dlofnep.

It's ok, I forgive you. *hug*

zuma wrote:
    NTL 1m = (€25+€24)=€49 Eircom = €30 BT = €20
    NTL 2m = (€30+€24)=€54 Eircom = €40 BT = €30
    NTL 3m = (€40+€24)=€64 Eircom = €50 BT = €40

Also dont NTL BB customers have to subscribe to NTL analogue.....mabye not now but in 12months anyway?

What are you talking about, the TV service costs €20.

You can always get VoIP with NTL or even just use your mobile like many people do, you also fogot to add the line rental prices to the Ericom and BT products.

These are the required prices (TV for cable, line rental for DSL):

NTL 1m = €45 Eircom = €54 BT = €30
    NTL 2m = €50 Eircom = €64 BT = €40
    NTL 3m = €60 Eircom = €74 BT = €50

Anyway this is all a waste of Time, NTL prices will be dropping and speeds increasing (to around 10m) by the end of the month, so all of this is a waste of time.

Contention is an issue with all BB services. I have never heard of anyone ever getting anything less then the full speed on NTL, this is actually better then DSL, where you only get about 70 - 80% of the speed due to overheads.

As long as the network is well managed, contention shouldn't be a problem for any BB company.

17:1 contention is an issue? Since when? lol..

I've NTL, their contention is one of the lowest in Ireland. Great service. Always get near max speeds from their products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Condalkin? Sweet. They might be on their way to my area soon. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

lol, Post a link to these threads. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

contention??? What contention?

• Advertisement

Hey guys a little odd update.

Yesterday, the woman I talked to, she said they need my bank details for a direct debit, I said, I'm already with ntl, can't you put it on my existing account.

So... after some talking, I gave her my mother's bank details.

she also took my email and said she'd email the confirmation.

I asked about installation date, she said, every engeneer was busy so earliest they could come to install it is 28th of Feb. I said well k.

I didn't receive an email.

Today I called ntl and there aren't any orders with them, and the person I talked to, when I told the ntl woman her name, she said there is no one with such name here :/

I had to place the order again, and guess what, the real ntl sales person didn't ask for any bank details and said they'd install it next week.

This is kinda odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Lol, prepare for your mother's bank account to be emptied by some Nigerian.

dlofnep wrote:
    17:1 contention is an issue? Since when? lol.. I've NTL, their contention is one of the lowest in Ireland. Great service. Always get near max speeds from their products.
    UberNewb wrote:
    lol, Post a link to these threads. :v:

And of course if you personally have no problem that means no one else has a problem. :rolleyes:

Contention and underprovisioning can be an issue for all ASDL and DSL products. It depends on your area. Some areas are fine some aren't. We've had issues on and off for a year or two, especially at peak. Theres not the same issues with ASDL in the same area. You should be aware if there are any issues in your area. Just because NTL is fantastic in Lucan doesn't mean it fantastic in Fairview. Also if there are new developments comming on stream in an area that can also effect it.

Lol, prepare for your mother's bank account to be emptied by some Nigerian.

lol there is nothing there :D that's why I gave it to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Contention and underprovisioning can be an issue for all ASDL and DSL products. It depends on your area. Some areas are fine some aren't. We've had issues on and off for a year or two, especially at peak. Theres not the same issues with ASDL in the same area. You should be aware if there are any issues in your area. Just because NTL is fantastic in Lucan doesn't mean it fantastic in Fairview. Also if there are new developments comming on stream in an area that can also effect it.

Whereas NTL is Cable, not DSL. Good point, well made.:rolleyes:

And of course if you personally have no problem that means no one else has a problem. :rolleyes:

I believe you are talking out of your bottom.

Grammar nazi replace ASDL and DSL for Broadband. So I forgot Cable, big deal. :rolleyes: Obviously we've been imagining the problems in our area and all those support calls and engineer visits were a complete figment of our imagination. High pings, high latency and being unable to connect for a a hour or more are signs of high contention. Thanks for correcting me in that. Those upgrades to the infrastructure that did improve things must have just been coincidence.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Cyberghost...what part of clondalkin are you in?

rgds
    scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

CyberGhost wrote:
    lol there is nothing there :D that's why I gave it to her.

Still, a call to the Gardai could be in order there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Low pings, high latency and being unable to connect for a a hour or more are signs of low contention. Thanks for correcting me in that.

:confused:

NTL has low contention. This is a good thing resulting in high speeds and low pings (i.e. latency).

Speeds = How fast ye go. Higher is better. Lower is worse. Measured in kbps/mbps.
    Pings = Latency = Response time. Lower is better. Higher is worse. Measured in milliseconds (ms).

Irish ADSL has far worse contention issues than NTL cable.

Having said that, I was on ADSL (the 24:1 contention product) for about 2 years and been on cable for the last 3 months. Both deliver expected speeds 99% of the time. (1.7mbps for the ADSL [old 2meg product] and 3mbps for the cable [3meg product])

Also, being unable to connect for an hour or more has nothing to do with contention.. sounds like your line is dead...

Advertisement