Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrorist supporters in UCD

Options
  • 03-02-2006 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

Have a read of this tripe from the "recently revived UCD Anti-War Group".

In particular have a read of this disgraceful quote:
    The UCD Anti-War Group therefore demands the immediate withdrawal of imperialist forces from Iraq and that US warplanes stop refuelling in Shannon. We express our solidarity with all democratic, secular and progressive opposition forces in Iraq fighting for US-UK defeat.

It's one thing to oppose the war in Iraq; it's quite another to want the US and the UK to fail in their efforts to bring democracy to the country.

I'm disgusted that people who go to my college are against the US and UK who are fighting the scumbags who murdered Irish-born Margaret Hassan and who decapitated Ken Bigley, who the Irish government worked hard to save.

It's a damn disgrace. Shame on these idiots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Iraq-en they're a bit slow, ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

and its amazing how you quoted the very bit that undermines that opinion...read it

We express our solidarity with all democratic, secular and progressive opposition forces in Iraq fighting for US-UK defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

and its amazing how you you qouted the very bit that undermines that opinion...read it

We express our solidarity with all democratic, secular and progressive opposition forces in Iraq fighting for US-UK defeat.

Perhaps you could tell us who the 'democratic, secular and progressive opposition forces in Iraq' are who are 'fighting for US-UK defeat'?

Open your eyes. They're advocating support for terrorism. People who are blowing themselves up over there.

It's a disgrace. You've bought into their quite dismal effort to spin this as a noble belief to hold.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

the US decided of its own accord to go to iraq. it acted outside the terms of the united nations in invading a country for its own and israels benefit.

political persons in the college have the same rights as you have to be heard. they aren't breaking the law, so either listen to them, criticise them and make them prove their facts or else shut up. thank god UCD services haven't gone down the thought police route and allow a wide mix of people/groups to express their opinions in ucd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Vic Mackey

the americans have no right to be in iraq, all they have done is provide a war-zone/world stage for these fanatical muslim scumbags!

iraq should be allowed govern itself, and the states should get the hell out, did vietnam not teach em!!!?

what the hell are da uk and u.s doin their in the first place! Muslim countries have historically never been democratic, at least not the way the states views democracy, so why are they forcing the iraqi people to accept this!

It was america that armed al-queda in the first place to fight the soviets!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They said "democratic, secular and progressive opposition forces", which to me implies the bodies in Iraq working for democracy and secular government. Not the Islamic factions, the ones who seem to be mostly the ones blowing stuff up...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My problem is with this phrase:
    fighting for US-UK defeat.

Red Alert wrote:
    the US decided of its own accord to go to iraq. it acted outside the terms of the united nations in invading a country for its own and israels benefit.

The US freed a country that was ruled by a madman and his family. Most Iraqis prior to the invasion welcomed an invasion and in a recent poll, most Iraqis expressed satisfaction in the efforts of the Iraqi government.
    Red Alert wrote:
    political persons in the college have the same rights as you have to be heard. they aren't breaking the law, so either listen to them, criticise them and make them prove their facts or else shut up.

So they have the right to be heard but people like me who disagree with them have to shut up? I suggest people who spout their pro-terrorist bullsh*t shut up.
    Red Alert wrote:
    thank god UCD services haven't gone down the thought police route and allow a wide mix of people/groups to express their opinions in ucd.

According to Richard Waghorne, "academics have been threatened with disciplinary action for requesting in private correspondence that the local LGBT extremists don't send them there promotional stuff."

The 'thought police' are very much on the side of the whackjobs in this college.
    Vic Mackey wrote:
    the americans have no right to be in iraq, all they have done is provide a war-zone/world stage for these fanatical muslim scumbags!

I'm sure the Brits said the same about the German aid given to the 1916 rebels and the French aid given to the United Irishmen in efforts to attain Irish freedom and I wager you regard that as noble, am I right?

You have to love the hypocrisy of some anti-war supporters. Foreign efforts to grant Ireland freedom - OK. Foreign efforts to grant Iraqis freedom - evil.

Typical blarney bullsh*t.
    Vic Mackey wrote:
    iraq should be allowed govern itself, and the states should get the hell out, did vietnam not teach em!!!?

Iraq WILL be allowed to govern itself because the Americans have removed Iraq's dictator. Why don't you thank them instead of p*ssing all over them like most people?
    They said "democratic, secular and progressive opposition forces", which to me implies the bodies in Iraq working for democracy and secular government. Not the Islamic factions, the ones who seem to be mostly the ones blowing stuff up...

Again I ask who are who the 'democratic, secular and progressive opposition forces in Iraq' who are 'fighting for US-UK defeat'?

Their use of the words 'fighting for US-UK defeat' is what is unacceptable and implies support for terrorism. Shame on them.
    Pythia wrote:
    My problem is with this phrase...

Indeed. It's a disgraceful phrase. If the people in this college had any balls they would stand up to scumbags who espouse sick support for terrorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

As a citizen of the United Kingdom, I'd just like to say that I demand the immediate withdrawal of imperialist forces from Iraq and that US warplanes stop refuelling in Shannon. I'd also like to express my solidarity with all democratic, secular and progressive opposition forces in Iraq fighting for US-UK defeat.

And no, I'm not being funny.

Fcuking Tony Blair, man.

Fcuking Tony Blair...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

MNG I am not saying you have to agree with them, but you cannot/should not expect that they be silenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Have a read of this tripe from the "recently revived UCD Anti-War Group".

In particular have a read of this disgraceful quote:

It's one thing to oppose the war in Iraq; it's quite another to want the US and the UK to fail in their efforts to bring democracy to the country.

I'm disgusted that people who go to my college are against the US and UK who are fighting the scumbags who murdered Irish-born Margaret Hassan and who decapitated Ken Bigley, who the Irish government worked hard to save.

It's a damn disgrace. Shame on these idiots.

OMG have you been staying up late watching bill O'Reilly on fox news:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

'Democracy' as long as it is the faction that Bush/Blair/Rumsfeld/Haliburton/Exon/texaco etc. etc. wants to rule...

I support all anti-imperialist secular and progressive forces striving to free their land from both the illegal invasion and the Islamic fundamentalists who would want a Taliban type society in Iraq.

By the way, the USA and UK prop up the non-democratic regimes in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia... why don't they bring 'democracy' to these lands and people?

OMG have you been staying up late watching bill O'Reilly on fox news:eek:

So if you're not anti-war then you're a Bill O'Reilly fan. Yeah that makes sense. :rolleyes:
    boneless wrote:
    I support all anti-imperialist secular and progressive forces striving to free their land from both the illegal invasion and the Islamic fundamentalists who would want a Taliban type society in Iraq.

Would you mind telling me who these people are? No one has answered me on that. You see I tend to take the line that terrorism is wrong no matter who does it.

Could the people who have no problem with this piece tell me if they support the deaths of US and UK troops who are in Iraq? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm wetting myself laughing at this anti-war movement showing their support for Iraqi forces fighting in a war! Irony of the century!

However of course it's disgraceful the way the US/UK have removed that fabulous leader called Saddam Hussain. We need more invading of neighbouring countries and especially more use of chemical agents on innocent people goddamit!!!!!

As a new call from the Not in Our Name statement of conscience declares;

"The World Cannot Wait - Drive Out the Bush Regime! ... It is our responsibility to stop the Bush regime from carrying out this disastrous course. We believe history will judge us sharply should we fail to act decisively."

In answer to MNG's question... No, I do not cheer or smile whenever a coalition soldier is killed in Iraq. A friend of our family's, who used to live near us in south-east London, is there right now, and I hope he will be safe. The soldiers of the US and UK armies have been betrayed in the same way that the people's of those two countries were betrayed. Make no mistake, the buck stops at the top: Bush and Blair.

Fcuk Bush.

Fcuk Blair.

History will judge us on how we acted and acquitted ourselves during this tumultuous time. My conscience is clear.

Is yours?

Conscience? Betrayal? :confused:

I support the liberation of Iraq and I believe the world is safer place without the likes of Saddam and his evil regime. I can only hope Bush and Blair take the same stance on other rogue states like Iran and North Korea.

"Liberation"?

"Safer"?!

Aw kid, where to begin...:(

SebtheBum wrote:
    "Liberation"?

"Safer"?!

Aw kid, where to begin...:(

Are you saying Iraq was safer in the hands of the evil parasite that is Saddam Hussain?

Okaay......

MNG, read beyond the usual controlled media sources that it is obvious you obtain all your sources from and you will see there are many groups and parties who oppose the invasion etc.

Zane, don't forget who propped Saddam up for years and who sold him weapons etc.

As soon as he stopped singing off their hymn sheet... well...

• Advertisement

Conscience? Betrayal? :confused:

I support the liberation of Iraq and I believe the world is safer place without the likes of Saddam and his evil regime. I can only hope Bush and Blair take the same stance on other rogue states like Iran and North Korea.

Well said, Zane.

Funny how these anti-war protesters were nowhere to be seen when Saddam was slaughtering his own people. I guess it's not trendy to bash dictators, only the Americans!

I personally have no problem with thsoe who opposed the Iraq war but the Iraq war has ended and there is now a new war being fought against terrorists who won't listen to the Iraqi people's democratic wishes.

To hope for the US and the UK to fail is to hope that the country ends up at the mercy of nutcases and extremists.

I would hope that nobody would want for terrorism to succeed.

boneless wrote:
    MNG, read beyond the usual controlled media sources that it is obvious you obtain all your sources from and you will see there are many groups and parties who oppose the invasion etc.

boneless, perhaps you neglected to read the media sources which showed the Iraqi people welcoming the invasion of Iraq. Presumably you also chose not to read the BBC opinion poll near the end of 2005 which showed most Iraqis were satisfied with the efforts of the government.

Remove the blinkers. I have no problem with those who opposed the invasion as I stated in my last post. That invasion is now over though.

Answer the question that Seb at least answered. Do you or do you not support the deaths of US and UK troops who are in Iraq?

Well said, Zane.

Funny how these anti-war protesters were nowhere to be seen when Saddam was slaughtering his own people. I guess it's not trendy to bash dictators, only the Americans!

I personally have no problem with thsoe who opposed the Iraq war but the Iraq war has ended and there is now a new war being fought against terrorists who won't listen to the Iraqi people's democratic wishes.

To hope for the US and the UK to fail is to hope that the country ends up at the mercy of nutcases and extremists.

I would hope that nobody would want for terrorism to succeed.

I have protested against the regime of Saddam in the '80's when it was engaged in the attemted genocide of the Kurdish peoples. I also protested during this time when political opposition was outlawed in Iraq. I protested again at this time against the continued support of the Iraqi regime by... wait for it... The USA, UK, Austrailia... and indeed I protested against the sale of arms to Iraq by the USSR.

So get your background facts right before you throw around baseless accusations. Talk to people... you would be surprised by how they engage in debate.

boneless wrote:
    I have protested against the regime of Saddam in the '80's when it was engaged in the attemted genocide of the Kurdish peoples. I also protested during this time when political opposition was outlawed in Iraq. I protested again at this time against the continued support of the Iraqi regime by... wait for it... The USA, UK, Austrailia... and indeed I protested against the sale of arms to Iraq by the USSR.

So get your background facts right before you throw around baseless accusations. Talk to people... you would be surprised by how they engage in debate.

Baseless accusations my arse. You know full well that most of these anti-war protesters are young people who have a beef with Bush more than anything. I stand by my views.

If what you have said is true then you are in the minority.

Baseless accusations my arse. You know full well that most of these anti-war protesters are young people who have a beef with Bush more than anything. I stand by my views.

If what you have said is true then you are in the minority.

Have you any reason to doubt that it is true?

And don't write off youth... they must go through the process of discovering their path. As a great man once said 'Age or class should not be a barrier to the truth'. I know a lot of these young anti-war protesters and I recognise a deep concern they have with the way the world is being raped of it's resources for the benefit of the few elites.

Is it wrong to feel concern? And Bush deserves the fact that people have a beef with him and his handlers.

The fact that polls show most people are satisfied with the situation in Iraq does not hold water, in my opinion. Polls, and indeed elections, can and have been rigged all through history.

boneless wrote:
    Have you any reason to doubt that it is true?

And don't write off youth... they must go through the process of discovering their path. As a great man once said 'Age or class should not be a barrier to the truth'. I know a lot of these young anti-war protesters and I recognise a deep concern they have with the way the world is being raped of it's resources for the benefit of the few elites.

Is it wrong to feel concern? And Bush deserves the fact that people have a beef with him and his handlers.

I know young people who were anti-war purely because it was fashionable to have that view.
    boneless wrote:
    The fact that polls show most people are satisfied with the situation in Iraq does not hold water, in my opinion. Polls, and indeed elections, can and have been rigged all through history.

Leaving aside the farcical notion that groups like the BBC are rigging opinion polls, basically then what you're saying is that your mind is closed. You have made your own mind up on things and you will dismiss any view which seems to contradict your own.

How is that democratic?

PS Could you answer my earlier question? Do you or do you not support the deaths of US and UK troops who are in Iraq?

I know young people who were anti-war purely because it was fashionable to have that view.

Leaving aside the farcical notion that groups like the BBC are rigging opinion polls, basically then what you're saying is that your mind is closed. You have made your own mind up on things and you will dismiss any view which seems to contradict your own.

How is that democratic?

PS Could you answer my earlier question? Do you or do you not support the deaths of US and UK troops who are in Iraq?

I read the same media you read but I also read beyond... that is the difference between us. Maybe I am hyper-democratic in that I can see both sides of the question.

I do not support the death or killing of anyone! Do you support the murder and torture of innocent Iraqis by the so called security consultants employed by the big trans-national organisations bleeding Iraq dry? Did you see the footage from the prisons? Did you see the footage of these security consultants driving along the highway and shooting at random targets? Have you read or seen the interviews with US and other troops where they confirmed the murder of civilians?

I would like to invite you to meet me at the wall outside Hilpers so we can engage in a face to face debate on these and other issues. You may be surprised that we share some of the same concerns and I might even be able to introduce you to some people who think that we both have valid concerns and who even hold views on the subject which both of us will disagree with.

boneless wrote:
    So get your background facts right before you throw around baseless accusations.
    boneless wrote:

It's bit pot. kettle that you are effectively suggesting that these polls and elections on people's satisafaction with regards to Iraq are being rigged in a propagandic fashion when there is evidence or even the slightest hint of any corruption regarding this. The US election of 2004 was run absolutely fairly and the citizens Amercia clearly voiced their support for the Republican government. It seems to me that alot of 'anti-war' people can't accept any support towards Bush or his government.

I find the whole "f*ck Bush", "f*ck Blair'' campaign utterly ridiculous. I'm not having a go at people for protesting against the liberation of Iraq, I'm all for free speech in society but I do find many ''anti-war'' protesters have some gripe with America in general. The whole ''it's all for oil'' argument has no basis whatsover and too many protesters use this unfounded argument as their motive for protesting against America.

That's a fair point but I do want to emphasise that these people are in the minority.

One thing that does concern me (I know this doesn't refer to the original topic) is alot of people have forgot about the barbaric murder of well over 2,000 innocent Americans on September 11th 2001. The world has never been the same since that fateful day, America has changed since that day and I'm glad Bush has taken his hard line against rogue nations such as Iraq.

Iraq had no hand, part or gave any support to the people who planned and executed the outrage on Sept. 11th. That canard has been nailed long ago.

The people who do support Al Quaida are living in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, those bastions of human rights and democracy which the US and UK support...

• Advertisement

The United States of America gets most of it's oil from Venezuela... Chavez is the President... He made repeated statements about 'turning off the gas' unless the US gave them a more favourable deal... In response to this threat, the US backed a coup, which failed because popular support was mobilised quickly enough to persuade the Military to back Chavez (having originally supported the coup plotters). Having failed in this plot, (and a number of subsequent ones) the US turned to Iraq... A target they had identified long, long ago, as the critical starting point for the Project For The New American Century.

Now, as it happens, Chavez has no intention of turning off the gas. His repeated statements are merely to maintain popular support, and in any case he's more worried by the threat posed by Colombia, who keep insisting that he's harbouring FARC terrorists and training them etc etc (sound familiar?)

Granted, I don't believe Oil was the major factor... But it was a factor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement