Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drimnagh

• 03-02-2006 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

What's the general area of Drimnagh like? Will be living there for 6 months starting soon and it'd be good to get some sort of opinion from people who know the place.

Also, I need to get to Rathmines to work (5min walk from the swan center). The luas goes into the city centre from Drimnagh... any ideas on how long it'd take to walk to rathmines from the nearest luas stop in the city centre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Shamo wrote:
    What's the general area of Drimnagh like? Will be living there for 6 months starting soon and it'd be good to get some sort of opinion from people who know the place.

Also, I need to get to Rathmines to work (5min walk from the swan center). The luas goes into the city centre from Drimnagh... any ideas on how long it'd take to walk to rathmines from the nearest luas stop in the city centre?

clondalkin dude, move to clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

drimnagh would be an ok place to stay for someone with no kids or family living there as you dont have to mix with all the gangsters and criminals.

they tend not to piss in their own back gardens too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Most of Drimnagh is pretty nice. It's got a bad reputation lately because a couple of families there have gone to the bad and are involved in a gang war including shooting, drug-dealing and the like. But in general it's a good place to live.

luckat wrote:
    Most of Drimnagh is pretty nice. It's got a bad reputation lately because a couple of families there have gone to the bad and are involved in a gang war including shooting, drug-dealing and the like. But in general it's a good place to live.

it is a terrible place to raise any kids, if you dont have kids its fine

luckat wrote:

mmmm bliss.

hands up, which is better, clondalkin or drimnagh?

• Advertisement

Clondalkin is only better because its so big that there are some nice areas in there. places like Neilstown and the likes are hell holes

clondalkin it is shamo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Not a bad place, obviously some areas/roads are not the best spots to live - in the news for "the drugs feud" blah blah, more likelihood of being attacked with a ruggerball or hockeystick in Donnybrook than harmed in Drimnagh ;)

It's an established working class area, haven't lived there for about 7 years but back then it was okay.

The 18 bus route goes to Rathmines stops up by Childrens Hospital, but was a very erratic service.
    I take it you'll be down by the canal area as the LUAS goes down Davitt Rd? Don't think that'll be too handy for getting to Rathmines...you could get the 122 (or 121 I think) up to Camden St/Portobello and walk?

Superdub2 wrote:
    it is a terrible place to raise any kids, if you dont have kids its fine

Why?

Primary, secondary schools are fine. Lots of sports facilities/clubs in the area, dramatic groups, arts, community stuff etc etc generally well serviced.
    The area is generally grand, obviously there are parts that are sh1t just like anywhere else.
    Why exactly is Drimnagh so bad a place to raise kids?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Well the apartment would be on the dromard road in drimnagh. That an ok area?

Wouldn't mind walking from the city centre if it was less than 20mins to rathmines from the luas stop...

Yeah, actually if I could get the bus to candem st/portobello it'd be fine, doesn't look like too much of a walk.

• Advertisement

Shamo wrote:
    Well the apartment would be on the dromard road in drimnagh. That an ok area?

Wouldn't mind walking from the city centre if it was less than 20mins to rathmines from the luas stop...

Dromard is fine as far as I know.
    That's between Cooley road and Errigal road up near the Childrens Hospital.
    It's a bit of a walk to the LUAS from there, about 15-20 mins from memory.
    You would be a few mins walk from Drimnagh Road where all the bus routes pull up including the 18 which would drop you into Rathmines.
    Best bet is take a look at www.dublinbus.ie and look up 18, 121 and 122.
    LUAS goes completely out of the way for you:(

Route 18 looks good, cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I lived in Drimnagh for about 8 years or so, I thought it was really nice, never had any hassle, apart from the Eleanora crowd removing my wing mirrors :mad:

Silverfish wrote:
    I lived in Drimnagh for about 8 years or so, I thought it was really nice, never had any hassle, apart from the Eleanora crowd removing my wing mirrors :mad:

that was my local! till i discovered good guinness over at the Halfway house...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Silverfish wrote:

You sure that wasn't the Forge crowd? ;)

delah wrote:
    Why?

Primary, secondary schools are fine. Lots of sports facilities/clubs in the area, dramatic groups, arts, community stuff etc etc generally well serviced.
    The area is generally grand, obviously there are parts that are sh1t just like anywhere else.
    Why exactly is Drimnagh so bad a place to raise kids?:confused:

because bout 50% of the youth in Drimnagh are complete wasters and any kid that grows there stands at least a 50% chance of becoming one too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

No, it was definitely the Eleanora crowd - I lived 6 doors or so up from it, I can tell.

Oh and the obligatory takeaway-thrown-across-my-windscreen as well. Forgot that.

But other than that, like I said, Drimnagh was nice enough to live in. Felt safer there than Rathmines/Ranelagh tbh.

Superdub2 wrote:
    because bout 50% of the youth in Drimnagh are complete wasters and any kid that grows there stands at least a 50% chance of becoming one too

Wow.
    Such indepth analysis, I'm impressed.

well you asked and im not into indepth detailed analysis, i thought id put it simple, and im not wrong.

Delah, do you even live near the place and wat age are you? cuz if you tink im wrong you are way out of touch

Superdub2 wrote:
    well you asked and im not into indepth detailed analysis, i thought id put it simple, and im not wrong.

Delah, do you even live near the place and wat age are you? cuz if you tink im wrong you are way out of touch

I asked the question as you twice put the place down saying it's sh1t and a terrible, awful place to bring up kids.
    You obviously have had a bad experience in Drimnagh.

I was raised there, I'm 38. I lived there for approximately 27 years.
    I've lived since all over Dublin, northside, southside, city centre and I can say I had a grand upbringing, everything went well thank you very much.
    I would contend I know quite a few more people than you from the area and can say without doubt that Drimnagh is not the hellhole (for raising kids or otherwise) that you have made out.
    If it was a sh1thole, I'd say it.

And you?

• Advertisement

no offence while it might have been a fine place to grow up when you were not younger it is not that place anymore. Ive never had a bad experience from drimna. Im 22 and i grew up with and around a lot of people from that area, and i know what type of young people live there.

. I also know some nice people from there too but on balance the majority of the youth in the area are wasters

Superdub2 wrote:
    no offence while it might have been a fine place to grow up when you were not younger it is not that place anymore. Ive never had a bad experience from drimna. Im 22 and i grew up with and around a lot of people from that area, and i know what type of young people live there.

. I also know some nice people from there too but on balance the majority of the youth in the area are wasters

sigh...

I think I'll end it here as I've had a little look at your previous postings, example here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50694788&postcount=68 and you do tend to overgeneralise, so really it's not worth my while and I really do need to get this zimmerframe mended so as I can visit my poor, deluded friends and their very happy kids over in Dublin's version of downtown Baghdad.
    Must remember to wear my flakjacket as I'm travelling through Crumlin...

delah wrote:
    sigh...

I think I'll end it here as I've had a little look at your previous postings, example here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50694788&postcount=68 and you do tend to overgeneralise, so really it's not worth my while and I really do need to get this zimmerframe mended so as I can visit my poor, deluded friends and their very happy kids over in Dublin's version of downtown Baghdad.
    Must remember to wear my flakjacket as I'm travelling through Crumlin...

Haha... Lucky I bought a RPG and M16 recently! Nothing like an after work gun battle to get rid of the stress.

I know what you're saying, sounds like a normal place with its bad parts.. like anywhere really.

Shamo wrote:
    Haha... Lucky I bought a RPG and M16 recently! Nothing like an after work gun battle to get rid of the stress.

I know what you're saying, sounds like a normal place with its bad parts.. like anywhere really.

You'll need all the weaponry you can muster as sometimes you may be required to go through, shhhhhh, Superdub82's area of Crumlin...:D

Yeah, it's a normal place, don't expect any architectural wonders or maginificent views though!

Best of luck.

Advertisement