Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studing History?

Options
  • 04-02-2006 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Just wanting to hear from anyone who knows anyone or actually studied history in third level education. I'm interested in studing history but I'm not sure of the career possiblities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irishhooligan

Currently studying History and Politics in UL and I love it. Career prospects include: the usual admin, teaching in secondary and 3rd level, journalism etc

History is a brill degree to have: in 2001, 75% of History Graduates were taken on board to Business Graduate programmes, before Business studies students because History Students are taught the key skills required to work in businesses namely Researching thoroughly, archiving work, looking at past performance etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Sounds good, but I don’t think I have what it takes to make it in business, just aint my scene. the secondary curriculum is so narrow after 2 years I would be bored of teaching it. Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tovarishch

If you really love history then you're best bet is to try to go down the route of lecturing. That way you will be free to continue your studies and to delve far deeper into whatever aspect of history interests you than if you became secondary school teacher or business man.

I'm currently in second year history in TCD and that's the route that I hope to go down. It probably wont be easy but no doubt it will be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 seanhowley

could anyone tell me the history topics you would study in college, would you look at topics such as the 1916 rising and WW2 and other topics you would have done in leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The courses on offer vary from university to university, and also from year to year, depending on what lecturers are teaching.

Often there are compulsory courses each year, such as mediveal, early modern and modern, and within each course a number of different countries may be covered to give a comparative study.

A lot of universities offer Irish and European history, from the mediveal period to the 21st century, and often include South American, Japanese, Austrialian and Middle East history.

If you take a look at a few history department website from different universities you'll get an idea of what's on offer and what's expected of you.

• Advertisement

im going studying heritage studies in gmit, could you tell me what kind of history topics would be involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

seanhowley wrote: »
    im going studying heritage studies in gmit, could you tell me what kind of history topics would be involved?

Oh come on. Give it a quick google. Here's what I got back: http://www.gmit.ie/humanities/level-7-programmes/ba-heritage-studies.html
    PROGRAMME MODULES
    Irish, European and International History; Local History & Genealogy; Natural Heritage & Geography; Language & Literature; Folklore; Archaeology; Urban & Rural Field Courses; Tourism; Irish Musical Tradition; Communications; IT; Languages (French, German, Spanish, Gaeilge).

Probably some of the above.

ya i saw the webpage alright theres very vivid information, it just shows all the modules you would do but id like to see what history topics are involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Email the course coordinator, it's on the site.
    They'll pass you onto the lecturer who can answer this

Since you're going to do the course they'll be happy to answer you

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

What you will need to bear in mind is that it does differ from studying it at 2nd level in a major way, and you do have to be prepared to change your style of writing and researching in a huge way-working predominantly with primary sources and historiography takes a lot of getting used to. As well as this, a lot of universities have a very restrictive choice of modules in the Final Year, so be prepared to have to tough out some fairly grim modules (State And Society in Early Modern Europe may rank as the most boring thing in the world).

• Advertisement

ok thanks name another few topics that u would study in heritage studies please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Giggsy_

Just wondering is anybody studying history in maynooth ? Do you enjoy it ? Hope to be there come September.

Advertisement