Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34 Summer Scholarships: Online Dublin Computer Science summer school

Options
  • 04-02-2006 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,
    This summer school will be launched in 10 days (roughly) and will
    support upto 34 local, European and International students across 34
    projects in UCD and DCU (and the AIC). Applications are expected to
    be internationally competitive and the pay will be €300 per week tax-free.
    Applications will close in mid to late March.

This summer school is a pathway for 2nd and 3rd year students interested
    in spending a summer in a collaborative research environment. Applications
    are not limited to Computer Science students but to any 2nd or 3rd years
    with the academic credentials and an interest any of:
    • Speech and Language Processing
    • Imaging and Visualization
    • Pervasive Computing
    • Software Engineering

The summer school includes software development, lectures, seminars,
    industry visits, weekly alternating site location, social events, international
    visitors.

The primary goal of the ODCSSS is to afford exceptional undergraduate
    students the opportunity to participate and contribute to exciting research
    projects at leading research facilities and to inspire these students to take the
    first step on a path to a research career.

If you are interested, keep an eye on this thread or let your friends know.
    I will post a link here to the ODCSSS website in 10 days or so.

Aaron

For:
    Dr. Aaron Quigley (UCD) & Professor Alan Smeaton (DCU)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Oooh shiny! Will pay close attention!

Will these be replacing the internships that the school of CSI (teehee SCSI! :D )have been known to run in previous summers? (keeping an eye out for summer work - and if Extreme Blue doesn't materialise, this could be useful)

Thanks for letting us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*will also pay close attention*
    Sounds really interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 aquigley

Oooh shiny! Will pay close attention!

Will these be replacing the internships that the school of CSI (teehee SCSI! :D )have been known to run in previous summers? (keeping an eye out for summer work - and if Extreme Blue doesn't materialise, this could be useful)

Thanks for letting us know!

This is expanding the internship program to include those in a more
    structured summer program. Individual academics might also have
    funds to offer other scholarships but I would guess the ODCSSS website
    will keep pointers to them.

Great advertising pitch, come work in a scuzzy place! fantastic :)

Aaron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I did an internship in the Great SCSI disk in the sky last summer and it was great. A cool summer job, and beats staking shelves for a summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Oooh ooh ooh I'm an engineer. This could be good. Heehehe...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

and if Extreme Blue doesn't materialise, this could be useful)

I'm hoping to get into that programme too! - How did your interview go and did you have any technical probs with the IPATO?

Yeah, I had problems with the IPATO... as in they never sent the stupid thing to me. I kept asking, but I never got it.

I'd thought the interview went well, but seeing as it's more than 2 weeks after the interview, I seriously doubt I got it, and I'm too scared to ring and confirm it to be honest. I guess there's no point pestering them for the IPATO now.

I think the decision is still being made on which 20 to select. You will get feedback either way as far as I know...

Cool. At the very least, I'm in a position where I can say I can take it or leave it. I got a year's internship with sun earlier in that week before I went for the IBM interview.

In one way, I'd prefer to do something in the SCSI, it means I get to know people in the school better, which can never be a bad thing. :D

I just got a call from IBM. I got into Extreme Blue. Cant wait... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'd say they just let you in cuz you've been carrying that extreme blue laptop bag around everywhere for the last year (full of books, not a laptop, I might add) and they feel sorry for you:D

Congratulations!
    cheers!

Booo humbert.
    You sound bitter and twisted, just like any other physics student with no job at the end of the line...
    :eek:
    kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

funny cuz it's true:p

Wow congratulations. I'm gathering from my lack of call that I'm probably not in there. Maybe terse answers were not the way to go in response to stupid questions like the following:

Interviewer: "So, you have experience in Unix and linux. Which do you prefer?"
    Me: "As in whether I prefer Unix or Linux?"
    Interviewer: "Yeah, what do you prefer to use?"
    Me: "Eh... to be honest, I don't care. Drop me in any POSIX environment and give me a bash shell and I'm happy."

Other gems:
    Interviewer: Have you contributed to any journals?
    Me: No, but I'm writing up an article for 2600.
    Interviewer: 2600?
    Me: Yeah, it's a hacker magazine. But not in the sense of "I'll ha><0r j00r box... more in the old sense of getting a huge mainframe to walk across the floor by moving the tape's direction.

And I guess I shouldnt' have mentioned SCO, and asked whether IBM had actually hung onto the rights to sell AIX.

Other one, I shouldnt' have looked as non-plussed as I did when he told me about the servers they served up: "Well, these days we sell our servers with a logical partition so they can be booted into AIX or linux." I wasn't terribly impressed - why? Because I read up on these bloody technologies. I actually LIKE reading about server technologies... PLUS I run a dual-boot system at home. I partitioned my drives too, it's not ground-breaking technology - I mean hell, the 4 partition system of x86 has been around since the 8086 was invented (IBM should know that, they sourced that chip for their PCs) and MS-DOS supported up to 24 logical partitions inside one extended partition (Again, IBM should have known this because they sourced Microsoft DOS for their Operating System for their Personal Computer line). Trust me, partitioning ain't a big deal, especially when Unix systems are involved.

Overall, I'm guessing it wasn't my best interview :D - I don't react well to stupid questions. :P

Æ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Did anyone follow a word of that?

It sounds like the interview did'nt go too bad at all. As far as I know, they have a good idea,at the interview stage, of what kind of projects they will do in the summer. They look for people with appropriate experience. Just because you did'nt get in this year, does not mean you wont get in the next time when the projects or your experience changes. But sure, you are a computer science student so you have plenty of options! :-) not like those physics students :v:
    Good luck with Sun anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but does anyone know how to apply to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭aaronquigley

irishguy wrote:
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but does anyone know how to apply to this?

Hi,
    I posted details of this to each of the University boards which was then moved to College Work but then deleted as I was banned. I'm not sure if this message will survive but if not you should be getting details via your netsoc.

Call for Applications: http://www.odcsss.ie/
    Online Dublin Computer Science Summer School in Ireland June 6 - Aug 25th.

There are upto 34 open posts for exceptional 2nd or 3rd year
    undergraduate students. Participants in Odyssues are offered
    a weekly stipend of € 300 which is paid as a tax-free scholarship
    International students may be offered travel support.

Applications welcome from 2nd and 3rd year undergraduates.
    Application deadline March 24 2006:

Aaron.

Hi,
    I posted details of this to each of the University boards which was then moved to College Work but then deleted as I was banned. I'm not sure if this message will survive but if not you should be getting details via your netsoc.

Call for Applications: http://www.odcsss.ie/
    Online Dublin Computer Science Summer School in Ireland June 6 - Aug 25th.

There are upto 34 open posts for exceptional 2nd or 3rd year
    undergraduate students. Participants in Odyssues are offered
    a weekly stipend of € 300 which is paid as a tax-free scholarship
    International students may be offered travel support.

Applications welcome from 2nd and 3rd year undergraduates.
    Application deadline March 24 2006:

Aaron.
    I am a 4th year thinking of doing a masters so would i still be able to apply? Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭aaronquigley

irishguy wrote:
    I am a 4th year thinking of doing a masters so would i still be able to apply? Thanks for the info

Hi,
    No it's open only to 2nd & 3rd years. There are programs (IRCSET,
    Extreme Blue etc) that more senior undergrads can apply for that are
    out of the reach of 2nd or 3rd years (based on criteria and experience).

We thought long and hard about this and we are trying to limit it to give 2nd and 3rd years an opportunity to experience research early in their academic
    life.

Aaron.

Wow, those projects sound brilliant. A load of the vis projects sound fun, along with some pervasive and software eng things. (I never thought I'd find the pervasive stuff that interesting... but hey)

I'll make sure I apply.

Æ

Hi,
    No it's open only to 2nd & 3rd years. There are programs (IRCSET,
    Extreme Blue etc) that more senior undergrads can apply for that are
    out of the reach of 2nd or 3rd years (based on criteria and experience).

We thought long and hard about this and we are trying to limit it to give 2nd and 3rd years an opportunity to experience research early in their academic
    life.

Aaron.
    Ok thanks for the info anyway

Advertisement