Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's Your Favourite Drummer???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Well Ok then ...

larry14.jpg

Founder of 'The Larry Mullen Band'

_dsc4124.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Ah good ol Larry! Totally different styles...drumming and lifestyle!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Karoma wrote:

:D Brilliant! Animal was modelled on Keith Moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

That big guy from Prince's band in the 90's is up there for me. I don't know his name but I seen him do a solo one time on VH1 and man that guy can play. Never could get that drum solo from the bridge in "Diamonds & Pearls"...

EDIT: The guy's name is Michael Bland

• Advertisement

jerryadams wrote:
    That big guy from Prince's band in the 90's is up there for me. I don't know his name but I seen him do a solo one time on VH1 and man that guy can play. Never could get that drum solo from the bridge in "Diamonds & Pearls"...
    Jeez, yeah that sounds a bitch. Or during the guitar solo in Jump by Van Halen the drums are fecked up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

mike portnoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Ginger Baker , saw him on BBC2 last night he still rocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Keith Moon With out a shadow of a doubt.

What do Ginger Baker and service station coffe have in comman. There both crap without cream

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

^^^i lol'led at that:p

Like many drummers ill say Neil Pert

How many drummers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?Three,one to screw it in,and two to discuss how much better Neil Pert would have done it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Rick Allen. Okay so def leppard aren't exactly cutting edge anymore, but anyone that can drum with just one arm gets my vote (and it's not a sympathy vote)

Oh and possibly that old japanese bloke of the Jameson ad :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

papa jones is the biz.

anyone who hasnt checked him out: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/papajoejones.html

plays with a smile too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

It's difficult for me to have a favourite, but some of the drummers that would influence me most as a drummer would be Dave Abruzzesse, John Blackwell, Buddy Rich, Ronny Tutt, Prince and strangely enough Lars Ulrich. Honourable mentions go to Derek Mc Kenzie from Jamiroquai and Phil Collins.

starn wrote:
    Keith Moon With out a shadow of a doubt.
    Yeah, my man! Big difference between favourite drummer and best drummer...no such thing as best IMO. Every musician has a special talent. But yeah Keith would be my fave too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

John Bonham, Tommy Lee and Lars Ulrich are my personal favourites.

Rick Allen from Def Leppard gets a special mention for only having one arm, and still being really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ben Johnston - Biffy Clyro, without a shadow of a doubt my favourite drummer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

John Bonham definately. Has anyone ever heard any of the How the west was won cd's? Frikin brilliant. Mitch Mitchell also good, as is Ginger Baker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

John Bonham

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

John Bonham
    Jimmy Chamberlin
    Danny Carey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Steve Gadd, Steve Gadd and Steve Gadd. In that order.

Keith Moon was very interesting, but only in his early years when he was pilled out of it. Listen to the full version of Live at Leeds and you'll hear how bad a timekeeper he could be. Pete Townshend threatened to kick him out of The Who in 77 as he almost completely lost his ability.

Zak Starkey (Ringo Starr's son) I think was the best post-Moon drummer with the Who. There's something about his playing that reminds me of Moon a lot, but he's a lot more disciplined.

I also think Phil Collins is a genius - but not drumming on any of Genesis' or his own stuff. Listen to him play fusion on Brand X's Unorthadox Behaviour (awarded American Jazz album of the year 1977) and listen to him play on John Martyn's Grace and Danger (1980) and you won't believe it's the same drummer, never mind Phil Collins.

Stewart Copeland is also great, but it's a shame that he turned his back on the drums after The Police split up.

Neil Peart? I really dunno. I used to like him a lot when I was younger, but he leaves me cold in later years.

Jeff Pocaro, Simon Phillips...there's so many!

...not forgetting our very own Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy). A very classy and underrated drummer.

There's a lot of great young players on what I'd call 'The Zildjian Circuit', but they seem to be showboating quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

In no particular order:
    Jaska Raatikainen (Children of Bodom)
    Jukka Nevalainen (Nightwish)
    John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
    Keith Moon (The Who)
    Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
    The Drummer (The Bezerker)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭skapunkkeith

travis barker
    tre cool
    harry hamburger(jonny heart experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Dave Lombardo & Lars Ulrich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

jimmy chamberlain's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Everything is subject to nightly re-interpretation. Every single second is a chance to reinvent the universe; to reconfigure it around you or to reconfigure yourself in it in order to make sense of what you're dealing with.

-- Jon Theodore, drummer, The Mars Volta, on the nature of on-stage improvisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Ticco Torres (Bon Jovi) would be mine. Suppose you'd have to give Larry Mullen a mention, especially for the beat on With or Without You.

Who was that drummer that had to be lifted into his kit as it was a complete circle (think the Animals was the band).

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Has to be Doktor Avalanche from the Sisters Of Mercy ;)

garred wrote:
    Ticco Torres (Bon Jovi) would be mine. Suppose you'd have to give Larry Mullen a mention, especially for the beat on With or Without You.

Who was that drummer that had to be lifted into his kit as it was a complete circle (think the Animals was the band).

The Animals? The 60s band? Wow, never heard anything like that! Mind you Tommy Lee from Motley Crue used to play a drum solo in a rotating cage that moved overe the crowd. Apparentely one night he fell out of the cage! Haha! Aw, to have footage of that would be priceless!:D :D

Regarding Tico Torres and Larry Mullen, yeah, love them too. They lay down a solid 4/4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

1) Animal
    2) Keith Moon
    3) John Bonham
    4) Ian Paice

That is all.

Advertisement