Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Named Driver insurance

Options
  • 04-02-2006 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Ok, with all my threads about buying new cars etc, there is one thing that really is a necessity. SPACE!

I'm in a band and we really need a vehicle that can transport gear, yeah i could easily get a Berlingo or Transit, but i have to use this as an everyday vehicle too! So i was thinking of a 4X4, maybe a Trooper, Pajero, Land Rover Freelander, etc etc... Cars that i've always loved(i'm more of a big and bulky kinda guy, rather than small and sporty type)...

Anyway, what's the dealio with insurance, are these vehicles classed as comercial vehicles? How would that effect insurance for a 22 year old?

I was thinking i could get insured under my dads policy, but how does that work? would he have to pay the insurance too? it's all very confuzzeling!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a large 4x4 for a 20 year old.
    expensive!

If you go onto daddy's nsurance then he is the policyholder and you are named. You will not have an NCB and in the event of a claim it will be daddy's NCB that is affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

kbannon wrote:
    If you go onto daddy's nsurance then he is the policyholder and you are named. You will not have an NCB and in the event of a claim it will be daddy's NCB that is affected.

I understand this part, i don't mind the NCB bit, hopefully if i'm able to get the car, then by the time i want a change that i'll be old enough to get cheap insurance regardless of NCB (25+).. Claims are another story, guess that's my dad's call to make, see if he trusts me or not.. heh heh.

What i don't really get is, if it would be insured under his policy, would it cost him extra to do this? And would my insurance be reasonable enough as a named driver in this case on such a vehicle? say < 2000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Commercial insurance can work out more expensive and many companies are unwilling to insure a "commercial" vehicle for private use.

An estate car would probably hold as much stuff as a 4x4 and would generally be cheaper to run. (Most 4x4 have at least a 2.5 litre engine and usually 3 litre).

estates are horrible looking things though!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

LundiMardi wrote:

Agree :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LundiMardi wrote:
    as a 22 year old your options are very limited

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

An estate is an obvious choice! There are plenty of them around and they dont tend to fly off the shelves. A 4x4 is an generally an estate with big wheels and an underpowered engine!

If you hate estates even a large family hatchback (mondeo/avensis) can hold a lot of gear with the seats down. You would want to be sure what size you need.. there is a major difference between a transit and a berlingo!

If you are getting insured in your fathers name note he can only have a no claims on one vehicle.

kbannon wrote:
    as a 22 year old your options are very limited
    we can dream a dream though....

These are just ideas running through my head, a Trooper would be nice though:) To be honest i don't know how i'm going to decide what to get!!:confused: Lot's and lots of thinking is to be done! A saloon would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Forget about jeeps. Generally expensive on fuel and insurance and not very space efficent. Also forget about estates being "horrible looking things" because if you're looking for somrthing that looks well and suits your requirements you'll be disappointed

How about a Renault Kangoo. OK you won't be pulling any chicks in this but it is very space efficient and not a bad drive
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=352366

Advertisement