Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Obi Mikel thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Senritsu wrote:
    Just how many players are Chelsea going to sign? Just how many players do Cheleas NEED to sign? This is getting beyond ridiculous. I'm not sure Mikel will even get much of a chance to play looking at the players he's competing with.

As many as it takes to stop United signing a player this summer it would seem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Senritsu wrote:
    Just how many players are Chelsea going to sign? Just how many players do Cheleas NEED to sign? This is getting beyond ridiculous. I'm not sure Mikel will even get much of a chance to play looking at the players he's competing with.

Why not? hes only 17 isnt it? Still not old enough to be a regualer first team player imo. He will spend a season in reserves and then next season play in carling cup etc and wont be rushed in. By that time ballack will be gone and he will probaly be a replacement for him.

I am sure he is expecting to start this season, or to even come close to starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

"The agreement resolves the future of the 19-year-old, who has been the subject of a bitter dispute between the three clubs."

by the time ballack or whoever needs to be replaced they'll just buy another player for a record fee, he'll probably be loaned out to CSKA moscow or someone for years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    As many as it takes to stop United signing a player this summer it would seem!
    Yeah, but it's only June and they already bought 4 players, and all of them over 10 million pounds, seems a little ridiculous, don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

its just like reality tv, the only way its gonna stop is if those involved realise what they have done.

i.e. players realise they wont get a game and stop signing for chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Senritsu wrote:
    Yeah, but it's only June and they already bought 4 players, and all of them over 10 million pounds, seems a little ridiculous, don't you think?

Definitely, but Chelsea have been ridiculous for a couple of years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Senritsu wrote:
    Nahh, only 2 players over 10mil, Shevchenko and Mikel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I wonder if united were'nt going to spend big this summer would they have accepted the 12M, would they have pushed this further, its a sad day when united can be bought off. The player is as much as fault here as the agent not unless he's a total simpleton and can't make a decision for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Senritsu wrote:

Well its the same as last summer. There are now two transfer markets, one for Chelsea and one for everyone else. Chelsea decide who they want, nobody can compete with them moneywise, and when they've got who they want, every other club can move and get who they want, usually with money generated from Chelsea.

Like last year, little movement before SWP moving, and from the money and cashflow that generated a couple of other deals went through.

It will last for a few years before Ambramovich gets tired of his new plaything and decides to lavish his money on some other waste of time. Its not sustainable for any reasonable length of time. Sooner or later it has to have a Real Madrid type fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Glad the whole thing is over and United have 12m more in the summer transfer kitty.,.. I would never want anyone wearing the United Jersey who wouldnt give it all for Utd.. Ppl should be honoured to play for a football club such as United...

Heres hoping Fergie uses the money well to get some gr8 players in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Stky10 wrote:
    It will last for a few years before Ambramovich gets tired of his new plaything and decides to lavish his money on some other waste of time. Its not sustainable for any reasonable length of time. Sooner or later it has to have a Real Madrid type fall.

Madrids problem was perez or the president bought the players ie.e camacho asked for vieira they failed and perez got owen instead, can't see mourinho going for that. The idea with chelsea is spend big and they reckon within 10 years they'll be making it back. Unfortunately if anyone can pull it off, Peter "Palpatine" Kenyon can.

I'd say the 12m will go towards Diarra or Ribery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Madrids problem was perez or the president bought the players ie.e camacho asked for vieira they failed and perez got owen instead, can't see mourinho going for that. The idea with chelsea is spend big and they reckon within 10 years they'll be making it back. Unfortunately if anyone can pull it off, Peter "Palpatine" Kenyon can.

The Real Madrid connection I was making was that they thought that if they threw enough money at a team and bought all the best players they'd have the best team. They disregarded team unity, and bought players as much as to keep them away from other teams as to have them themselves. Eventually with all the discord within the camp it explodes. Its only a matter of time. Mourinho has done very well to keep a lid on it so far, but it only has a certain lifespan by which time he'll have moved on to some other team and someone else will have to clean up the mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

An easy £12m for Man U.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Stky10 wrote:
    The Real Madrid connection I was making was that they thought that if they threw enough money at a team and bought all the best players they'd have the best team. They disregarded team unity, and bought players as much as to keep them away from other teams as to have them themselves. Eventually with all the discord within the camp it explodes. Its only a matter of time. Mourinho has done very well to keep a lid on it so far, but it only has a certain lifespan by which time he'll have moved on to some other team and someone else will have to clean up the mess.

Completely different situations.

Real madrid thought never thought they would do weel with the best players, they just thought they would do well with the best attackers.

THey never kept their manager's there very long, kept sacking them. I can see chelsea keeping mourinho for another 2 seasons at least. Mourinho hasnt disregarded team unity.

Players want to play for teams who things, even if it means spending time of the bench. Who wants to leave from chelsea that have said it themselves? Huth, gallas and drogba. Thats 3 players, not a huge amount.

When drogba realises no one else would waste money on him he will decide to stay. Huth isnt a first teamer. They will keep gallas for another year till his contract goes.

There situation isnt as bad as united's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hoho, this is the worst transfer business ever done by United ever.

That said, because of the **** up, United apparently aren't paying the fee of 6 million to Lyn.
    The 4 million stipulated goes to Lyn, the 12 million stated all goes to United, so it's a profit of 12 million for United.

That said, worse piece of transfer news ever. Obi Mikel is a star for the future, but that said, he's probably wrecked his career. He won't displace Ballack and Lampard, and will be on the bench for 3 years.
    ****tu has won, it's a sad day for football.

p.s. The sources of ABU365 and the Norweigan place were still way off, with them quoting 10 million in total, over half of which (6 million) was to go to United. They had no idea what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

So Chelsea continue their scorched earth policy (deny the best to your opponents, even if it means destroying the best in the process)...:(

Mourinho's next shopping trip? A day at IKEA for a bigger sub's bench. They can afford it after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

What a fooking disaster for United. 12M? That's an absoloute joke when you think of the potential of this player. United fooked over by Chelski again. So much for the "He signed for united, he will be a United player" and the "wait till we get him to Carrington road" type posts. It seems that Jose and the lads can do whatever they want, and get away with it. This must be a very very bitter pill for Manu to swallow. I mean 12m is not going that far, when your in debt to the tune of £600 odd million, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

Hobart wrote:
    I mean 12m is not going that far, when your in debt to the tune of £600 odd million, is it?

As long as it goes into the transfer kitty I'll be happy.

SteM wrote:
    As long as it goes into the transfer kitty I'll be happy.
    It looks like you could have a transfer kitty fit to burst, and it would make no difference. If Chelsea can undermine teams like this (and they do seem to be targeting Manu) it will male no difference. There will be nobody of quality or potential to buy. That fact seems to be showing through with Manu's recent signings. Look at Evra, not a quality player by a million miles. It looks like United will be left the slops of whatever Jose does not want tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hobart wrote:
    It looks like you could have a transfer kitty fit to burst, and it would make no difference. If Chelsea can undermine teams like this (and they do seem to be targeting Manu) it will male no difference. There will be nobody of quality or potential to buy. That fact seems to be showing through with Manu's recent signings. Look at Evra, not a quality player by a million miles. It looks like United will be left the slops of whatever Jose does not want tbh.

That doesn't just apply to United though. If Jose is picking up all the good players then every club is at a disadvantage.

Perhaps not the small clubs it could be argued, because they couldn't attract the players anyway, but definitely the larger clubs.

Evra could come good yet. I'd like to see how he performs this season, it's still early for him yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im glad its settled. Im pi**ed that Chelsea have got this one over on us but Im not sure I would have welcomed him in a United shirt after all this crap. He may well have been the creator of his own downfall however. Its hard to see where he is going to fit into the Chelsea team for the moment at least.

Im not sure how big an impact the money will have. Fergie will have budgeted with his expected transfer kitty so I doubt the 12 million will change any names on the list.

Im a bit dissappointed with our speed in the transfer market though. Chelsea have their spending wrapped up and we havent even got off the blocks yet. Memories of that time we waited all summer for Ronaldinho are fueling my dissappointment.

Lemlin wrote:
    That doesn't just apply to United though. If Jose is picking up all the good players then every club is at a disadvantage.

Perhaps not the small clubs it could be argued, because they couldn't attract the players anyway, but definitely the larger clubs.

Evra could come good yet. I'd like to see how he performs this season, it's still early for him yet.
    I appreciate that, but he does seem to have a particular bee in his bonnet when it comes to Manu signings. This is not the first time he has gazzumped AF.

Man Utd are the only team in England with the financial capabilities to challenge Chelsea over the long term
    Liverpool and Arsenal stadiums are too small, that said, when New Anfield and Emirates come into being they will be able to spend more and more.
    Liverpool atm need new investors in order to get the stuff going though, but I heard they are getting them so we'll see.

This is why Chelsea target United. Any player they try get on the cheap, Chelsea will attempt to push up the prices or just buy them Essien, Robben, Ob Mikel
    The reason we heard absolutely nothing about Vidic, Park, or Evra until they signed was because of this.
    United thought they had done it again with Mikel, but didn't take ****tu into considering so alas.

Logically speaking it's not a bad bit of business, 12 million for a youth player who's never been tested and has missed a year of development. But I really wanted to see him in a United shirt, as I feel the only way to challenge Chelsea long term is to get the top youth prospects in the world playing alongside two of the best, Rooney and Ronaldo.

ATM, our transfer kitty is looking huge. I think this sale signifies that we intend to buy a winger aswell this summer, which is shown the Ribery approaches.

We have 30 million initially.
    That will be spent on central midfield.

Ruud will get us 20 million
    That will be spent on his replacement.

Obi Mikel gets us 12 million
    That will be spent on a left winger.

Still devasted, but ya gotta move on.

---

This isn't the death of football btw. Chelsea had to buy him from us. If they had gotten him for free that woulda ****ed up everything, but this confirms that contracts still matter.

---

p.s. seems the kid ain't that stupid after all.
    He reportedly wants a 3 year deal.
    It means if he doesn't get played, he can move before the world cup in 2010.
    It means that if he doens't break through, he can move in two years time.

Because of this, I don't think he's going to be a huge benefit to CHelsea.
    He won't break through because Lampard and Ballack are too strong. He will play more than SWP, but not hugely more. He will get pissed off. Then he will leave with a year left on his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hobart wrote:
    What a fooking disaster for United. 12M? That's an absoloute joke when you think of the potential of this player. United fooked over by Chelski again. So much for the "He signed for united, he will be a United player" and the "wait till we get him to Carrington road" type posts. It seems that Jose and the lads can do whatever they want, and get away with it. This must be a very very bitter pill for Manu to swallow. I mean 12m is not going that far, when your in debt to the tune of £600 odd million, is it?

If mark Gonzalez doesnt get a work permit which he is looking like not getting, will you take 12 million for a player you bought but never seen play for your club?

kdjac

Hobart
    Totally agrre with you. This from the BBC website "I know where I want to go and I think Chelsea is the better place for me to be" John Obi Mikel" link => http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4664656.stm . Seems to be a crazy situation where Manu are insisting he play, when he clearly does'nt want to. If the guy is made go to Manu I would sell him on ASAP, no matter how good he looks.

Great advice Hobart, it's good to see you giving backing to Fergie.

KdjaC wrote:
    If mark Gonzalez doesnt get a work permit which he is looking like not getting, will you take 12 million for a player you bought but never seen play for your club?

kdjac
    No. But I don't really get your point tbh. If I had signed Ronaldinho for my club, and had been gazzumped by Chelski, would I be willing to take 12M? I dunno. Would I be pissed off, yes totally.

@PHB, I could quote one or 2 of your posts out of context too, if you would like. I prefered it when I was on your ignore list tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hobart wrote:
    No. But I don't really get your point tbh. If I had signed Ronaldinho for my club, and had been gazzumped by Chelski, would I be willing to take 12M? I dunno. Would I be pissed off, yes totally.

But either way its free money.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    But either way its free money.

kdjac
    Hey, don't get me wrong. If Roman was happily donating 12M to the build a better Anfield, I'd take his rist off. But that's not my point. Money does not seem to be the issue with Manu. Players are. As k most manu supporters what they would rather have. An extra 12M in the kitty or JOM in the squad this summer? I know most of them would go for the player.

@PHB, I could quote one or 2 of your posts out of context too, if you would like. I prefered it when I was on your ignore list tbh.

I'm sure you could, and you are, that post just amused me a lot as it was quoted by many.

I'm confused though, how is that out of context?
    Fergie sold him, just like you said.

Are you saying you didn't like the 12 million? Should it have been more? What woulda been acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

We'll know in a year or two whether United got value for money. At the moment, they've got 12 million for a player who's unproven so they're the winners of this squabble at the minute IMO.

In a year or two, if Mikel fulfils his potential, then it could be argued United lost out, but not until then IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Not sure if mentioned but this has to be a sign of guilt from Chelsea. I think FIFA should look into there transfer dealing because they are ruining the game. Seems if a club gets a player that Chelsea want they will just try and persuade the player behind closed doors with the offer of more money. Its a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

There goes my theory that you two are never seen in the same place at the same time...

There goes my theory that you two are never seen in the same place at the same time...

Try and persuade the mods now!! they can check the IP and Im sure they will find they are different.....no matter how good I am I cant be in two different places at the same time!!:D

Just noticed I have over four and a half thousand post and my has over three thousand!! u think one person who wasnt here from thre start would have over 7 thousands posts in such a short time?????????

PHB wrote:
    I'm sure you could, and you are, that post just amused me a lot as it was quoted by many.
    Yea, I'm sure it was and did.
    I'm confused though, how is that out of context?
    The post was in agreement with what another poster said. I was not, by any means, pro Fergie. It was actually anti Mikel and his "agent".
    Fergie sold him, just like you said.
    I do not think that that is correct. Had Mikel actually signed a full contract with Manu? I was under the impression that they just had an option on him and that it was a pre-contract agreement that was signed, not a fulll contract. While I appreciate that Chelsea have compensated Manu, in lieu of going to arbirtration on this matter, I also understand that Lynn are the club selling him and not Manu. Unless Fergie has resigned as Manu manager and is now managing Lynn. In that case, your statement would appear to be correct.
    Are you saying you didn't like the 12 million? Should it have been more? What woulda been acceptable?
    The question actually is, are Manu happy with 12m? I personally could not give a flying fook what the figure was. 6m now and another in 12 months actually seems good business to me, from a Chelsea perspective. I suspect the tea lady in stamford bridge earns more than that in any calendar year.

PHB wrote:
    Actually PHB, maybe you would like to point out where the post you quoted, by me is, as you put it yourself quoted by many? Where is it even quoted once in this thread, bar from you. More BS from you PHB :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    I have no idea the relevance of your links tbh. Just because you have been caught out (again) it does not necessarily mean that you have to "move the goal posts" and get yourself into deeper sh1t by compounding one lie with another.

Anyhow, you got my PM, I think we both understand where we are coming from, don't dig any more holes for yourself.

BTW
    Hobart wrote:
    Hobart
    Totally agrre with you. This from the BBC website "I know where I want to go and I think Chelsea is the better place for me to be" John Obi Mikel" link => http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4664656.stm . Seems to be a crazy situation where Manu are insisting he play, when he clearly does'nt want to. If the guy is made go to Manu I would sell him on ASAP, no matter how good he looks.
    This is the post you claim was "quoted by many" .

Hobart wrote:
    Anyhow, you got my PM, I think we both understand where we are coming from, don't dig any more holes for yourself.

Post the PM, there is no fun with you sending you comments private!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Post the PM, there is no fun with you sending you comments private!!
    It was PM for a reason. PHB can post it up if he wants, I have no objections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

edit

i am totally blind

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

PHB wrote:
    No seriously, it's absolute bull****. The source of the story is ****tu. Time doesn't need to tell, it's bull****.

Looks like you were wrong.

Indeed, it appears a deal had been done, excellent spot.

That said, the story was still complete bull****, they said 10 million, with 6 going to United, or some said 12 million, with 6 going to United.
    That's why the story made absolutely no sense.
    A gain of 12 million for United, instead of a gain of, ya know, nothing, makes some sense.

p.s. no PM's for me

PHB wrote:
    p.s. no PM's for me
    Sure, I believe you. It must have been another PHB who read it at 13:17 today. Well that's the time according to my read reciept.

What in the world are you on about?

PHB wrote:
    What in the world are you on about?
    Like I said PHB you and Iknow what I'm on about. If you would like I could ask one of the admins to have a look at the transaction logs and verify that I sent and that you did indeed recieve a PM from me. Anyhow, a picture of your PM box is about as usefull as a leg on a shark. I would drop it if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Obviously the united fans that were saying all along that he was a united player have been proven right. Why else would Chelski give their closest rival £ 12 million ?

He could never have played at United so it's good business to sell him for a big profit. That said the circumstances surrounding this saga should be a concern for all true football fans if they stop to think what it really means for all premiership clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

if Chelski get in trouble they'll just hand over money to get out of trouble :mad:

Mikel wont get into that team any time soon :rolleyes:

The Muppet wrote:
    Obviously the united fans that were saying all along that he was a united player have been proven right. Why else would Chelski give their closest rival £ 12 million ?
    To avoid a potentially drawn out and protracted period of claim and counter claim? No matter what way you try to dress it up muppet, he never signed a full contract for Manu, he never played for Manu therfore he never was a Manu player. Full stop and end-of. Manu did not even sell him, Lynn did.

He could never have played at United
    Why not?
    so it's good business to sell him for a big profit.
    It's probably the worst outcome for Manu, and you know it. How many times have we heard from Manu fans that money is not a problem, yada yada yada. What difference does 6m make this season? SFA, that's what difference it makes.
    That said the circumstances surrounding this saga should be a concern for all true football fans if they stop to think what it really means for all premiership clubs.
    I'm not worried at all tbh. This player made it quite clear that he did not want to play for Manu, as others have in the past (Ronaldinho and Sherar instantly spring to mind). Players will make their choices and the cream will come to the top. You can paint it whatever way you want, but this is an absoloute sickner for Manu fans after all their "He's a Manu player and that's it" type rants over the last 6-8 months. 6M this year good business? Your having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

Hobart that post is so laughable and wrong I can only think you're trying to wind United fans up. Do you even know anything about this transfer 'saga'? I can't think you do otherwise you wouldn't have made the classic comment
    This player made it quite clear that he did not want to play for Manu, as others have in the past (Ronaldinho and Sherar instantly spring to mind).

There's a very good (but slightly out of date now) synopsis of what happened here that says
    - April 29th 2005: Mikel signs a professional contract with United; a beaming player is interviewed on TV, complete with number 21 United shirt

I think you'll agree that is nothing like Shearer or Ronaldinho.

You should take a look at it the full transfer synopsis so you'll at least have a clue what you're posting about in the future.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement