Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Obi Mikel thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

hobart are you going to keep this thread going until mikel actually plays for chelsea? you seem to be doing a good job of it.

he didnt wanna join manu, joined chelsea, manu got money out of it, end of story.

and tbh a lot of man utd fans wouldnt have even known who the feck mikel was until he officially signed for chelsea. Most football supporters arent going to be reading soccer boards on the net etc and their was only the odd piece in the paper.

ps: any post I see by hobart seems to involve winding up manu fans, there must not be much news involving the club he supports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I first heard of him when i saw him with the united jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

do utd still get the money if the little wanker doesnt get a work permit? has he played many times for nigeria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

dcarroll wrote:
    do utd still get the money if the little wanker doesnt get a work permit? has he played many times for nigeria?
    Ah the contempt is already spilling out. Love it :)

He's figured for Nigeria a few times, he's bound to get a work permit based on his promise to be one of the worlds best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed, United intended to get him a work permit through the special talent rule, which is rarely granted, but with him, it's highly likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is there any clips doing the round actually showing this guy play football? I have looked and I cannot find a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

So Chelski sign Ballack, Shevjenkco and now Obi one Mikel.

Is ManU goin to sign any new players for next season? .........guess not! LOL
    and Rude Van is leaving as well LOL :D

So another win nothing season next yr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

They won the carling cup this year dont forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I find very funny is that those who mock United's chances somehow think theres teams chances are better, as if they have improved their team so much compared to United, oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I have to say I haven't really got a clue whats going on with this transfer. Every paper seems to contradict each other and everyone has a different version of events. Now it transpires that Chelsea paid 16m to united (12 in some and 10 in other papers) for him. My question is the chap any use? Does anyone know a thing about him other than this transfer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Tidy sum for United only time will tell if they got shafted. I hope FIFA still investigate the transfer as its obvious something underhand was happening.
    Hopefully due to his year out he will have trouble getting a work permit:D

Why are people so hostile towards this player now? They don't know anything about him or really the situation that was going on. I've heard a lot of United fans over the weekend say he is this and that. Why? It wasn't like he was a united legend turning his back on you or anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Football is a business now a days, I think some people still think its some kind of romantic sport and every player only plays for their love of the game.

Its a business and when you have the biggest cheque book like Chelsea you get what you want most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

irish1 wrote:
    Its a business and when you have the biggest cheque book like Chelsea you get what you want most of the time.

Most of the time but not always, Henry for instance rejected Chelseas cheque book and he is not the only one.

I don't have anything aginst the player, he was obviously pressured into his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Muppet wrote:
    Most of the time but not always, Henry for instance rejected Chelseas cheque book and he is not the only one.

I don't have anything aginst the player, he was obviously pressured into his position.
    Thats why I said most of the time, IMO I think it's harder for young players to turn down the opportunity of playing for Chelsea and getting paid over the top wages compared to established players like Henry and Gerrard.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Henry for instance rejected Chelseas cheque book

Since when? Chelsea made an offer, Arsenal rejected it. End of story. Henry didn't turn the chance down, Arsenal decided they didn't want to sell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

iregk wrote:
    Since when? Chelsea made an offer, Arsenal rejected it. End of story. Henry didn't turn the chance down, Arsenal decided they didn't want to sell him.

If Henry wanted to go he would have went.....he didnt

Big Nelly wrote:
    If Henry wanted to go he would have went.....he didnt

Thats a ridiculous statement. Henry was under contract when Chelsea put in the offer 2 years ago. Arsenal rejected it and so there was nothing more. Henry is happy at Arsenal thats true however if Arsenal had accepted the offer how do you know Henry would not have moved? You don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

iregk wrote:
    Thats a ridiculous statement. Henry was under contract when Chelsea put in the offer 2 years ago. Arsenal rejected it and so there was nothing more. Henry is happy at Arsenal thats true however if Arsenal had accepted the offer how do you know Henry would not have moved? You don't!

Shev had a contract and Milan didnt want him to leave and he did, do you need us to start naming all the players that have forced moves thru even thou they have contracts???

If henry wanted to move he would have thrown a strop and I bet 2 weeks later he would have been at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

SteM wrote:
    Hobart that post is so laughable and wrong I can only think you're trying to wind United fans up. Do you even know anything about this transfer 'saga'? I can't think you do otherwise you wouldn't have made the classic comment
    Hobart wrote:
    This player made it quite clear that he did not want to play for Manu, as others have in the past (Ronaldinho and Sherar instantly spring to mind).
    Here are some excerpts from the piece you have linked to:

United had tried to get Mikel to the club on a scholarship contract in the summer of 2003. Yet, even at this early stage in the saga Mikel was an elusive man

"Obi disappeared and it took months to track him down. I eventually found him at Ajax Capetown in South Africa." Disappearing was to become a John Obi Mikel trademark.

Something that Mikel would later claim was forced upon him.

By the 13th Mikel conducted his first interview with Sky Sports in which he claimed that he no longer wanted to join United

Now that's just a small smattering of quotations from the piece "you" linked to. It is patently clear to anybody that this lad did not want to join United. Claims and counter claims of death threats, kidnappings, etc have only added to this. I am not naive enough to not think that Chelsea had some part to play in this saga, what part exactly, I do not know. All I know is this. United where very keen to sign this individual. They have been pursuing him for over 3 years at this stage. Chelsea have made a mockery of Manu by gazzumping this individual for the paltry sum of 6M this year and a similar amount next. What would most Manu fans want? The coffers temporarily inflated to the tune of 6M this year, or JOM playing for them? I know what I would choose. Sure, I thought money was never a problem at OT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

"We must also salute the courage of the young man, who despite the untold pressure brought on him, refused to succumb to blackmail. He continued to insist on his wish to join Chelsea from day one and even when his family was prepared to give in to Manchester United pressure, he held out. For someone of his age and with his talent to be on the sidelines unable to do the one thing he loves most, which is play football, must be torture. But he continued to believe, he persevered, he refused to be enslaved. A boy with such courage is exactly who Chelsea need. I hope and pray he fulfils all his footballing dreams at the Bridge. Today, he’s a symbol of the victory of conscience over exploitation in football and I’m happy Chelsea made this possible.

I’m very, very proud to be Blue. "

LOL

iregk wrote:

Ridiculous is it? Pity Chelsea didn't act as honourably in their efforts to Sign Mikel.

If Henry had said he wanted to move he would have been sold and anyone that doesn't believe that is deluding themselves.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Shev had a contract and Milan didnt want him to leave and he did

Very different reasons. Henry was living in London playing in the prem at a club he loved and who didn't want to sell him. Another london club comes in and the bid is rejected, end of story. Sheva was at a club where he was looking for an extension until threats were made against him and his family. That coupled with his marrage decided a move away from Italy was needed. Chelsea then put in an offer adn it was accepted.

Not exactly the same are they?

The Muppet wrote:
    Ridiculous is it? Pity Chelsea didn't act as honourably in their efforts to Sign Mikel.

If Henry had said he wanted to move he would have been sold and anyone that doesn't believe that is deluding themselves.

Well I'm not going make any statement on the Mikel saga as I haven't a clue what really went on there only rumours and speculation.

I also agree with you, if Henry had said he wanted out they he would have been sold. Thats a no brainer. My point was a big was placed and it was rejected. End of story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

steve g turned them down not once but twice.
    will be an interesting summer and next season. including watchine maureen trying to get the numbers on the pitch changed to 15 a side.
    how is he going to fit in the following:
    ballock, mackali, lampard, essien , duff, cole, robbin, obi wan knobi(well he disapears like him) sheva, drogba, kalou.
    BYTW obi wan has appeared on the chelsea web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I have to say i'm very disappointed United didnt let this thing run its course and wait for the real outcome from FIFA. I dont know the truth about Chelsea's influence over the player and i dont know for certain that they we're up to no good but from their past history of tapping players up and the large settlement fee agreed it definitely suggests they were guilty of either exploitation of the player or talking to him while under contract at United.

Mikael would have got a chance at United. He might have even been a hero. but now Just like SWP, Glen johnson and Geremi this guy will rot in the reserves. It would take a young player as gifted as Rooney or messi to break into the chelsea team so he had better live up to his expectations

I have to say i'm very disappointed United didnt let this thing run its course and wait for the real outcome from FIFA. I dont know the truth about Chelsea's influence over the player and i dont know for certain that they we're up to no good but from their past history of tapping players up and the large settlement fee agreed it definitely suggests they were guilty of either exploitation of the player or talking to him while under contract at United.

Mikael would have got a chance at United. He might have even been a hero. but now Just like SWP, Glen johnson and Geremi this guy will rot in the reserves. It would take a young player as gifted as Rooney or messi to break into the chelsea team so he had better live up to his expectations
    hopefully FIFA will still investigate - even though Chelsea and United have come to an agreement this doesn't clear Chelsea of wrong-doings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

If United's actions were as squeaky clean in these dealings as so many here suggest, why would they settle? If they held all the aces why would they let Chelsea off the hook? And particularly for as little as £6m a year for two years? It appears to me

They way some of the people have been going on about this guy he is going to be one of the world £12m for him at 18 is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

"We must also salute the courage of the young man, who despite the untold pressure brought on him, refused to succumb to blackmail. He continued to insist on his wish to join Chelsea from day one and even when his family was prepared to give in to Manchester United pressure, he held out. For someone of his age and with his talent to be on the sidelines unable to do the one thing he loves most, which is play football, must be torture. But he continued to believe, he persevered, he refused to be enslaved. A boy with such courage is exactly who Chelsea need. I hope and pray he fulfils all his footballing dreams at the Bridge. Today, he’s a symbol of the victory of conscience over exploitation in football and I’m happy Chelsea made this possible.

I’m very, very proud to be Blue. "
    I can't take that for real. Chelsea folk going on about morality in the game...pffffffft

• Advertisement

from their past history of tapping players up and the large settlement fee agreed it definitely suggests they were guilty of either exploitation of the player or talking to him while under contract

You talking about Chelsea or United there :)

I don't think Chelsea would have went to all of this trouble to get him if he was an average young player. I haven't seen the guy at all but this saga gives me the impression that he has world class potential.

Also very good point raised by someone else. United are not squeeky clean here either. Why else would they have let Chelsea off the hook unless the aces were shared?

If United's actions were as squeaky clean in these dealings as so many here suggest, why would they settle? .

Likewise if United had done something wrong why would Chelsea pay them £12 million for a player they could get for nothing.

If they held all the aces why would they let Chelsea off the hook? And particularly for as little as £6m a year for two years? It appears to me

They way some of the people have been going on about this guy he is going to be one of the world £12m for him at 18 is nothing.

As little as £12 million , in todays markert that is a hell of a a lot of money, it would go a long way on Buying a top class established Midfielder .

Well if the Guy resisted whatever pressur he was put under and said he wanted to play for united there is no doubt he would not have been sold. Unfortunately for United and posssibly the player too , he was got to in some way and we all know the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

If United's actions were as squeaky clean in these dealings as so many here suggest, why would they settle? If they held all the aces why would they let Chelsea off the hook? And particularly for as little as £6m a year for two years? It appears to me

No one is squeaky clean in this. It's rotten to the core and I was hoping that a fifa investigation would bring to light whoever cost a year of a young talented player's career, whatever club member or agent it was should be punished and once again it shows that a few million can brush anything under the carpet.

No one is squeaky clean in this. It's rotten to the core and I was hoping that a fifa investigation would bring to light whoever cost a year of a young talented player's career, whatever club member or agent it was should be punished and once again it shows that a few million can brush anything under the carpet.
    Have fifa not ivestigated this already? What's left to investigate?

Hobart wrote:
    Have fifa not ivestigated this already? What's left to investigate?
    Do you know any of the facts behind this? Suggestion - do some backgound reading and then come back and discuss. Your posts demonstrate that you are jumping on the back of every news story about this.

TheMonster wrote:
    Do you know any of the facts behind this? Suggestion - do some backgound reading and then come back and discuss. Your posts demonstrate that you are jumping on the back of every news story about this.
    I know the facts as published. What are you talking about? AFAIK fifa have acted on this? Am I not correct? What's left to investigate? As for your suggestion, I have been following this story for some time. So come on monster, instead of posting your usual sh1te, why not just answer my question? What have fifa got left to investigate?

Hobart wrote:
    I know the facts as published. What are you talking about? AFAIK fifa have acted on this? Am I not correct? What's left to investigate? As for your suggestion, I have been following this story for some time. So come on monster, instead of posting your usual sh1te, why not just answer my question? What have fifa got left to investigate?
    That would be the whole transfer and whether it was carried out legally or not. If you knew all the facts you would know FIFA had refused to rule on it and referred the matter to the Norwegian courts who turned around and said it was a football matter. i.e. FIFA have NOT investigated it yet

AFAIK this agreement has nothing to do with FIFA and they would be fully within their rights to inveastigate and deal with any rule breaks accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The Muppet wrote:
    Likewise if United had done something wrong why would Chelsea pay them £12 million for a player they could get for nothing.
    Because perhaps both clubs hands are dirty?
    The Muppet wrote:
    As little as £12 million , in todays markert that is a hell of a a lot of money, it would go a long way on Buying a top class established Midfielder.
    £6m a year for two years is not much for a big club, and a drop in the ocean for Chelsea. Rooney went for close to £30m and it was a steal, this lad is held in almost an equal regard potentially by plenty so it would not appear to be a huge some for a player of his calibre.

TheMonster wrote:
    That would be the whole transfer and whether it was carried out legally or not.
    The tranasfer to Chelsea? Of course FIFA are well within their rights to investigate any transfer, why would they not be?
    TheMonster wrote:
    If you knew all the facts you would know FIFA had refused to rule on it and referred the matter to the Norwegian courts who turned around and said it was a football matter. i.e. FIFA have NOT investigated it yet
    Nobody knows all the facts, that's one of the issues with this case. However, it does seem to me that after all Manu's huffing and puffing, which included a 9 page letter to FIFA calling for Chelsea to be banned from signing players and banned from competitions, that there must have been some truth in the rumour that this kid was in some way pressurised into signing a pre-contract agreement with Manu. Why else would Manu go from one extreme of calling for Chelsea to be banned from this, that and the other and then, within a few short months, agree a deal for 6m this year and next? It defies belief. It's not as if Manu needed the money, or did they?

As for your "breaking news" that FIFA have the right to investigate any transfer dealing, well done :rolleyes: . As you yourself have said they have already discussed and reviewed some of the murkier allegations in this transfer, most of which involved allegations by the player and his "agent" against Manu, and found that the allegations where more of a criminal matter than a footballing one. No news there tbh.

• Advertisement

my reading of the agreement is that Chelsea have actually bought the layer from United, who reckoned that 12M for a player that didn't want to play for them was a good deal.

FIFA can and hopefully still investigate the pressure that was pput on the player and by whom.

TheMonster wrote:
    my reading of the agreement is that Chelsea have actually bought the layer from United, who reckoned that 12M for a player that didn't want to play for them was a good deal.

FIFA can and hopefully still investigate the pressure that was pput on the player and by whom.
    If that is the case, why are Lyn getting 4m?
    /.Edit
    Actually, Lyn had his registration, not Manu. So he actually signed from Lyn to Chelsea.

Hobart wrote:
    If that is the case, why are Lyn getting 4m?
    /.Edit
    Actually, Lyn had his registration, not Manu. So he actually signed from Lyn to Chelsea.
    So why pay Utd so and 3 times the amount?
    because Utd had agreed to buy him from Lyn for 4M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

TheMonster wrote:
    The way I see it is that Lyn are getting the 4m they had originally agreed on with Man U, instead it's coming from Chelsea. So in essence Chelsea are paying man U 16m as Man U don't have to pay the 4m to Lyn. Either way Man U are 12m in profit, Lyn are 4m in profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

TheMonster wrote:

In the agreement Unted agreed not to put in a compliant or pursue legal actuion. I dont think fifa can investigate since no one has(or will) complained of any wrong doing.

TheMonster wrote:
    Does it matter? It's not as if we are talking about West Brom here. 12m is a drop in the ocean to Chelsea tbh. You know this and so do I. 6M this year is also a drop in the ocean to Manu, you also know this. Manu fans shoould stop all this talk of "good business" etc... That's a load of crap. Manu fans have been harping on here and elsewhere about how they have xyz in the transfer kitty, yada yada yada. The fact is that not only has this hot prospect been signed to Chelsea. But he has, by default, been prevented from playing for one of their PL rivals. It's actually a double wammy tbh.

United were "paid off" because, basically, Chelsea did not need the hassle of going thru a legal case. Simple as and full-stop. Let's see how Manu do with the extra 6M they have gained into their transfer coffers (if the money even goes that far).

• Advertisement

In the agreement Unted agreed not to put in a compliant or pursue legal actuion. I dont fifa can investigate since no has complained of any wrong doing.
    Well if this gem proves to be anywhere near the truth, it looks like it's you TheMonster who should imbibe himself with the facts of the case, and not me. This is very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

Hobart wrote:
    Here are some excerpts from the piece you have linked to:

United had tried to get Mikel to the club on a scholarship contract in the summer of 2003. Yet, even at this early stage in the saga Mikel was an elusive man

"Obi disappeared and it took months to track him down. I eventually found him at Ajax Capetown in South Africa." Disappearing was to become a John Obi Mikel trademark.

Something that Mikel would later claim was forced upon him.

By the 13th Mikel conducted his first interview with Sky Sports in which he claimed that he no longer wanted to join United

Now that's just a small smattering of quotations from the piece "you" linked to. It is patently clear to anybody that this lad did not want to join United. Claims and counter claims of death threats, kidnappings, etc have only added to this. I am not naive enough to not think that Chelsea had some part to play in this saga, what part exactly, I do not know. All I know is this. United where very keen to sign this individual. They have been pursuing him for over 3 years at this stage. Chelsea have made a mockery of Manu by gazzumping this individual for the paltry sum of 6M this year and a similar amount next. What would most Manu fans want? The coffers temporarily inflated to the tune of 6M this year, or JOM playing for them? I know what I would choose. Sure, I thought money was never a problem at OT?

So explain to me how the JOM transfer is anything like the attempts by United to sign Ronaldinho or Shearer in the past as you brought up earlier? Nope, didn't think you could 'cause you're a bluffer on the wind up. Think I'll leave this discussion now as you seem to be getting more bothered by the whole thing than most United fans.

SteM wrote:
    So explain to me how the JOM transfer is anything like the attempts by United to sign Ronaldinho or Shearer in the past as you brought up earlier? Nope, didn't think you could 'cause you're a bluffer on the wind up. Think I'll leave this discussion now as you seem to be getting more bothered by the whole thing than most United fans.
    Whooo there. I stated one fact and one fact only. Each of these players were given an opportunity to play for Manu. Each turned it down. I never intimated that the circumstances where similar. In fact I clearly said "This player made it quite clear that he did not want to play for Manu, as others have in the past" . Now that's a fact. If you are so blinded by grief that you cannot see that, well, that's not my problem is it?

As for me getting "bothered" by the whole thing. I'm far from bothered, believe me. I just cannot believe that a team like Manu who were a few month's ago pontificating about the pariah that is Chelsea, trying to get them banned from this competition and that, penning 9 page letters to FIFA, can be paid off by the richest club in the world for 6M this season? It staggers belief tbh.

I'm far from bothered tbh. As for you taking your leave of this thread, good luck and goodbye. You'll be missed, i'm sure :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Meh, dont really care tbh. Let him rot in the Chelsea reserves. No player is worth this much trouble. I'm sure if he was really that good Utd would have seen this through to the end,as it is €12m PROFIT for an unproven teenager that didn't even cost them a cent in wages, never mind transfer fees? Thank you very much sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

well at least all the speculation is now over, I hope JOM turns out to be worth all the effort, if he is as big a talent as he's been made out to be I look forward to watching him play for the blues. It's a shame that we had to give Man USA any money at all, it seems that giving them a few quid tarnishes Chelsea somewhat and makes the entire transfer aga even more dubious than it has been to date.

I hope Utd. use the money well, it would be nice to have some competition in the league next season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement