Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL+Cable BB + LAN

• 04-02-2006 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and girls

I didn't know how to name this thread properly, sorry

Basically, I have eircom's DSL, and soon will have ntl's cable broadband.

for DSL, I have a 4 port Dlink modem/router/switch, I have 4 computers hooked up to it.

Now when I get cable installed.

I want to leave 1 computer on the dsl line, and move the others to the cable.

Well it's easy.

Just connect 3 ones into the router connected to the cable modem, and leave the other computer on the DSL router.

But!

The thing is, I want all computers to have a connection with each other.

How do I do that? if I just wire up DSL router with a cable modem's router, how do I control which computer uses which broadband, and won't they conflict with each other?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

CyberGhost wrote:
    Hi guys and girls

I didn't know how to name this thread properly, sorry

Basically, I have eircom's DSL, and soon will have ntl's cable broadband.

for DSL, I have a 4 port Dlink modem/router/switch, I have 4 computers hooked up to it.

Now when I get cable installed.

I want to leave 1 computer on the dsl line, and move the others to the cable.

Well it's easy.

Just connect 3 ones into the router connected to the cable modem, and leave the other computer on the DSL router.

But!

The thing is, I want all computers to have a connection with each other.

How do I do that? if I just wire up DSL router with a cable modem's router, how do I control which computer uses which broadband, and won't they conflict with each other?

put a second nic in the computer connected to the dsl/dlink connect this to the lan port on the ntl system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

First you have to turn off DHCP on at least one of the routers, otherwise theyll be very unhappy with each other.

Then, just manually type in the IP address of whichever router that you want each PC to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks guys.

So 1 NIC and a new cable.

Advertisement