Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to wireless !

• 04-02-2006 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

My 16 yr old niece has come to live with me for a while, I have a spare pc and would like to hook her up to the net as she has my heart scalded wanting to use mine all the time ! Her room is directly above mine so,,,What I have is a normal adsl modem netopia from eircom, I also have a wireless network card (pci) so all I need to get is a wireless modem and I can put card in spare pc.. Are they universal ? will any wireless modem do ? the pci card I have is this one http://www.sitecom.com/product.php?productname=Wireless+Network+PCI+Card+54g&productcode=WL-115&productid=313&subgroupid=2 So I have to buy a wireless modem ? Right
    will any type do ? Suggestions re where to buy appreciated..Thanks mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That card will work with any router made in the last 4 years. I used a linksys 54g wireless router when i was with Eircom. It worked fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

dlofnep wrote:
    That card will work with any router made in the last 4 years. I used a linksys 54g wireless router when i was with Eircom. It worked fine.
    Great,Thanks..M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

you can put a wireless usb key on her pc and create an ad-hoc network between the two machines using Internet connection sharing. That's the cheapest way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

you can put a wireless usb key on her pc and create an ad-hoc network between the two machines using Internet connection sharing. That's the cheapest way.
    Brilliant ! Whatever your salary is.....Its not enough... Thanks...M:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

FYI While this would be the cheapest way, about just an extra €20 would get you a wireless router that would be easier to setup and would give you more options in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement