Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish name on cheque

Options
  • 04-02-2006 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Lets say my name is Michael Murphy
    and someone writes me a cheque, but they make it payable to
    "Micheal ó Muruchu"

What will my bank say when I try to lodge it?
    I've never used the Irish verion of my name so I don't have any official
    documents to show the bank, the only documentation I could produce would be some library book? with translations of various names.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Legally, you can change your name into any language you want and there should be no problem ie if you were called John Paul, you could change your name to Juan Pablo for the sake of a cheque/bank account, so I would never have imagined there would have been a difficulty.

Unfortunately, people who work in banks tend to be fcuking lamps when it comes to stuff like this. I opened an account in Ulster Bank years ago under my Irish name, and when I tried to get some money out of the account later, they gave me an awful lot of grief because the name on my passport was in English. Eventually, we had to get the branch manager who realised the situation and apologised to me. But the same thing happened next time.

So to answer your question, there's no problem with doing it according to IFSRA and the Government, but the clerks at the desks don't seem to be able to deal with it. So get them to write the cheque to whomever is on your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

I've had the same experience a few times but had no problems. Just remember to mention that it's the Irish\English version of your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I think it's extremely unreasonable to expect different versions of ones name to be excepted (Edit: 'accepted' of course :) )on official documents, no matter what the language. We expect banks to provide security for our hard earned money. One of the basic ways of ensuring this security is of being able to provide a proper ID.

Murphy / Ó Murchú would be recognisable to Irish educated Bank officials (we'll leave out foreign educated employees) but how many people would know that a person with a passport named Dunlop was entitled to cash a check made out to someone called 'Mac Doinnléibhe'.

Take someone baptised 'John Martin O'Connell', known as Marty Connell to his friends. Should he be entitled to have different names for employment, tax registration, driving license, bank account, etc.

John O' Connell
    Johnny Connell
    Jacky O'Connell
    J. M. O'Connell
    Martin O'Connell
    Marty Connell
    or
    'John Martin' which all his relatives call him to distinguish him from his better known inter-county hurling uncle John 'the Masher' O'Connell.

Or any of the other possible permutations of the above.

Then you complicate things further by coming up with different Irish language versions......

Be consistent; if you wish to use the Irish language version of your name for official purposes by all means do so but stick to one version. IT software has not yet been developed to deal with any alternative.

Advertisement